? for.GIANTS and a POLL

Should GIANTS consider having their prefabs as console placeables?

Poll ended at Mon May 14, 2018 4:11 am

Yes.
47%
No.
19%
Stop it already.
35%

Total votes: 43

TacoFarmer

? for.GIANTS and a POLL

Post by TacoFarmer »

Why dont you make.your prefabs as placeables for consoles? I know its possible,some of the modders have theirs as prefab and placeables. You can add a lot of personality to a map with this kind of stuff.
PS4
Farm Happy My Friends.
WestBridge Hills-EL Bubbling FartZ Rancho Edition

You cant polish a turd ......but you can paint it GREEN and YELLOW .
redglasses

Re: ? for.GIANTS and a POLL

Post by redglasses »

I would love more placables, I really love them for making the map my own
Playing Lincoln Creek on PC
Upload your screenshots here: IMG server
My Discord
Remember there is no need to spread your manure around the forums :wink3:
Jack of all trades, master of the skid steer
Sergeant Larson

Post by Sergeant Larson »

I'd love to see map specific placeables that have the feel of the map.
"What good is a house if you haven't got a tolerable planet to put it on?"
-Henry David Thoreau

XBONE
ILL6 Cooperative
Sosnovka Hard No Seasons 270 hrs
Bastogne, Montana
Lone Oak Farm Normal No Seasons
juf.de

Post by juf.de »

Prefabs are modder resources and can easily by loaded into the Giants editor, you would eliminate this feature, if you would change them to placeables, as they would contain a lot of information and other stuff, that is useless in mapmaking and would only lead to errors and larger map size.
Tutorials: log.txt, Giants Bilderhoster, erweiterter Texteditor, Konsole (PC)    /    Direktlink Giants Imagehoster
[PC] [Mac] [XB1] [PS4] in the thread title keeps the Forum clean / im Threadtitel hält das Forum übersichtlich
Playing on PC
Samira

Post by Samira »

Consoles are Limited. For a Reason. If you want more Control.... Buy a PC
thumbwiz

Post by thumbwiz »

Why do some PC owners think console owners should buy a PC? Do you really think most of us don't already have a PC? Do you think Taco started this thread from his console?
I have a gaming PC, laptop, Xbox One (primary), PS3 and PS4. Often I prefer to play a game on console where I can get more comfortable. I agree with Taco that it would be nice if prefabs were available for console. Is it really too much to ask?
Also, it would not eliminate the feature of modders loading them into custom maps. The "a lot of information and other stuff" would have default values and may be adjusted only if desired.
I'd like to see some Giants maps with fewer objects at the farm so we can use prefabs to design our own layouts. This would be a good feature for consoles and computers.
X1 / PC gaming
Ontario, Canada
redglasses

Post by redglasses »

We dont need your "buy a pc" bull stuff ok get that out.
Anyways I think it could be done, it would be a prefab and a placable like taco said so it could still be used for mapping.
Playing Lincoln Creek on PC
Upload your screenshots here: IMG server
My Discord
Remember there is no need to spread your manure around the forums :wink3:
Jack of all trades, master of the skid steer
Samira

Post by Samira »

So, then Build your Map and use the Prefabs then. No bad meaning tho. And buy a pc was bad chooses ok, my fault and happens.
Dogface

Post by Dogface »

juf.de wrote: Mon May 07, 2018 8:45 am Prefabs are modder resources and can easily by loaded into the Giants editor, you would eliminate this feature, if you would change them to placeables, as they would contain a lot of information and other stuff, that is useless in mapmaking and would only lead to errors and larger map size.
^^This. Prefabs may look the same from a player point of view, but they have different configurations.
It is not Giants that assigns a mod as prefab or placeable, it is the modder.
markare

Post by markare »

What he means is the buildings that giants put in default maps to populate it. They could make these placeables.
:hi:
Scottish farming with all the n00bery
Xb1
Sometimes stream, depends how I feel
http://aatg.freeforums.net/ work in progress
BulletBill

Post by BulletBill »

Again it all comes down to time management. If this was a feature that the majority of players wanted then I'm sure GIANTS would consider putting the man hours behind it.

However if its only a feature a few players want then it would be silly for GIANTS to waste time making all there maps assets into prefabs.

As has been mentioned it isn't a straight forward process and would involve extra modelling, and scripting code to setup for each and every single model.

Placeables are great but they have there limitations, the reason we have GIANTS Editor is to allow us to create the landscapes and farmyards we want to play on, and with it comes far greater customization possilbilities.

You want to be able to customize your maps to your hearts content, well you've already got it, it's called GIANTS Editor.

Yes it only works on PC and that is where the true limitation of a console lies with games like this.
TacoFarmer

Post by TacoFarmer »

juf.de wrote: Mon May 07, 2018 8:45 am Prefabs are modder resources and can easily by loaded into the Giants editor, you would eliminate this feature, if you would change them to placeables, as they would contain a lot of information and other stuff, that is useless in mapmaking and would only lead to errors and larger map size.
I dont want the feature eliminated.
PS4
Farm Happy My Friends.

TacoFarmer

Post by TacoFarmer »

Dogface wrote: Mon May 07, 2018 3:10 pm
It is not Giants that assigns a mod as prefab or placeable, it is the modder.
Im talking about the GIANTS Software ones.
PS4
Farm Happy My Friends.

TacoFarmer

Post by TacoFarmer »

Dogface wrote: Mon May 07, 2018 3:10 pm
^^This. Prefabs may look the same from a player point of view, but they have different configurations.
From a modders perspective with a mod as a prefab and a placeable,how much more did you have to do to make it a placeable?
PS4
Farm Happy My Friends.

juf.de

Post by juf.de »

This depends on the prefab, a building is easy, it only needs a modDesc.xml and a <modname>.xml, each with modspecific information. If it's moveable, it needs an additional xml file. Most other stuff needs probably some scripts, the prefab feature however is eliminated, as soon as it contains only one of the above mentioned xml files, as the map would contain a file, which is not needed there.
Another point is, that many of these objects are made by mapmakers and are extracted from a existing map, so other mapmakers have it easiers to make their own one. The original mapmakers have probably zero motivation to make the prefab placeable, as they for one have other thing to do, like updating their map(s) or building a new one or actually enjoy the game. And mapmakers tend to prefer sharing finished productsinstead of DIY products.
Tutorials: log.txt, Giants Bilderhoster, erweiterter Texteditor, Konsole (PC)    /    Direktlink Giants Imagehoster
[PC] [Mac] [XB1] [PS4] in the thread title keeps the Forum clean / im Threadtitel hält das Forum übersichtlich
Playing on PC