How many animals are you keeping using seasons mod?

RODHA

Re: How many animals are you keeping using seasons mod?

Post by RODHA »

I have 437 sheep, 37 pigs and 400 cows on Oakfield.

I'm on 9 days/season setup with no geo. My save is 270+ hrs atm.

I have raised the number of the animals (except pigs) gradually by buying some in every year when they are at their cheapest buying price.
I'm planning to continue on raising the numbers gradually till 1000. Then I'll asses if it is possible to support that much with seasons. I mean without working my a... off :biggrin2:

Btw, I bought only 20 pigs at the begining just to have them and enjoy working on them. As pigs have some serious issues with seasons in terms of profiting on them I don't do them for making money. Just for the joy of it. They managed to reproduce up to 37 in 4 years if I'm not mistaken.

I clean my pigs with the conveyor. I managed to position it so precisely that cleanliness never drops below %100.

I do the same thing with my sheep too but I can't manage to position the conveyor as good as I did at the pigs because of the location of the food trough at the sheep pen. But, cleanliness is still not dropping below %93.

Cows on the other hand is a whole different story. As the muck piles up on the other side of food trough, when you try collect the food from the ground by a conveyor or lely they also pick up the muck from time to time. That makes me to dump the muck first and then keep going with the cleaning. So, I do them manually with a bucket and a telehandler. Btw, muck has become a problem like that because I don't transport the muck to somewhere else as I use the option for the workers to use the muck from the cows. If you move the muck from where it spawns workers just can't use it.
PS5 / FS22
Frozen Catalyst

Post by Frozen Catalyst »

How many hectares of grass do you need to support all those sheep and cows Rodha?

I've currently got 47 Sheep and 26 cows on my Ballincraig.
Xbox One |FS22| Holmåkra
ltl.vamp

Post by ltl.vamp »

I have 17 sheeps, 2 cows... Woodshire (we all start little)
Xbox Series X, Xbox Series S, Xbox One X, Xbox One
FS17 Platinum > FS19 Premium > FS15 Complete > FS22
Samsung UE65MU8009TX 4KUHDHDR
RODHA

Post by RODHA »

Frozen Catalyst wrote: Wed May 09, 2018 10:24 amHow many hectares of grass do you need to support all those sheep and cows Rodha?
Good question. I can't answer on ha wise but I can refer to fields.

At the moment I use only field 15 for grass and hay. When it is 3 stage fertilized F15 gives me approx. 600.000 liters of grass in every cut and I do 2 cuts a year. I would be able to make a 3rd cut but as it corresponds to late autumn and grass is not fully grown, I don't bother with that.

For silage, I use grass from fields 8, 9, 10, 18, sheep pen and cow pasture. But I do only one cut on them. Those give me approx 750.000 liters of grass (I'm not certain on the amount though) in total and I put it into bunker to make silage.

The thing is, 600k grass + 600k hay and 750k silage for 400 cows and 437 sheep is a lot more than enough at the moment. So, I'm usually left with at least 1/3 of that amount at the begining of the next spring. Which means the total amount in my silos always keep going up. I assume that amount would be able to feed at least 500 cows and may be 700 sheep at the same time. Anything more than that would require another big meadow.
PS5 / FS22
Thefisherj

Post by Thefisherj »

i have field 7,8,10,14,16,17,18 i cut twice a year i get around 200 bales of hay and silage from them i use the grass from the sheep and cow pasture to feed my 149 cows through the year, ( i allow myself one cheaty mod which is a converted hay loft that accepts grass), i feed my cows 50% hay 25% silage and 25% straw and of course straw for bedding i find i just have enough have to last a year with a few spare but i try to increase my grass acres every year i have just converted field 9 to grass and i now look to buying field 1 or 2 or 15.
Patrick73

Post by Patrick73 »

^^ those last two posts are exactly why I started this thread...thanx! Interesting to see which maps people play and how they support the animals
CMDRTAKEDOWN

Post by CMDRTAKEDOWN »

I'm running 1k sheep and cow's on Sosnovka 12 day season. The cultivated area on the right fields 5-28 now in grass for the silage,hay and grass. Which is more than enough now to keep up with the animals.
PS4
PS5
aklein

Post by aklein »

One thing to note on this question is the season length. The longer your seasons play the easier it is to keep larger numbers of animals. This is because of how seasons works on the back end. Seasons normalizes the amount animals need for a year so if you play 3 or 24 day seasons for example you will need the exact same amount of food over the course of a full year. As such the shorter the season duration the more you will need to feed every 3 days and the less game time you will have to produce the amount of food needed.

I have played 24 day seasons and kept about 100 of each animal. extremely easy to do this.
I have played 15 day seasons with 200+ cows 100 sheep and 50 or so pigs. very easy also.
I am playing 9 day seasons now with 700+ sheep and 25 cows. still fairly easy but sheep are easy anyway.

Trying 100 cows on 3 day seasons will be much harder than 100 cows on 9 days and that will be harder than 100 cows on 18 day seasons for example.

I posted a link on another thread recently about seasons and animals where i provided an animal feed calculator that that will provide how much any given number of animals need to eat over a 3 day period, for an entire season and thus an entire year. it also uses some yield calculations found on a steam posting to estimate the amount of ha needed to support said number of animals.
RODHA

Post by RODHA »

CMDRTAKEDOWN wrote: Wed May 09, 2018 3:30 pm I'm running 1k sheep and cow's on Sosnovka 12 day season. The cultivated area on the right fields 5-28 now in grass for the silage,hay and grass. Which is more than enough now to keep up with the animals.
you did that 5-28 magic with that huge field and somehow passed on combining 6, 12, 16, 21, 26, 29 area :biggrin2:
That was the firs field I had combined in my Sosnovka save.
PS5 / FS22
RODHA

Post by RODHA »

aklein wrote: Wed May 09, 2018 4:02 pmAs such the shorter the season duration the more you will need to feed every 3 days and the less game time you will have to produce the amount of food needed.
I might not agree on the red part :hmm:
I have tried 3, 6 and 9 days per season setups on my Oakfield save within a 270+ hrs gaming time.
I'm still playing at a 9 days/season setup atm.
Although you need to give more food per feeding period (3 days) if you are on a shorter season setup (like 3 days/season) as the plant growth is also adjusted for 3 days/season setup you shouldn't have any problems on producing the food they need.
Or did I understand what you mean completely wrong?

Btw, my animals never made it through 3 days before they require food. 2-2.5 days at most.
PS5 / FS22
Thefisherj

Post by Thefisherj »

i think he means you will spend more time feeding then working on getting the required food, it takes me around 3 hours to feed my cows on 9 day seasons and 5x time speed.
SimulatedSphere

Post by SimulatedSphere »

None.
XBOX ONE S ( I don't have limited power :biggrin2: )| FS17 | UK
Just waiting for FS19!
I play with as much realism as possible :wink3:
XBOX ONE S ¦ On Estancia / Sussex Farm / Oakfield |FS13 , FS15 , FS17
Thank you to all modders out there , the game would never be the same without you!😎 :hi:
Thank you to Giants as my Xbox would never be the same without you!😎 :hi:
CMDRTAKEDOWN

Post by CMDRTAKEDOWN »

Fields 6-29 are done but I needed more grass than that.
PS4
PS5
aklein

Post by aklein »

What I was getting at is mostly time spent feeding vs working the fields and the time one has to work the fields. With 3 day seasons you have at most at 1X speed 72 hours of spring, summer, autumn to prepair fields and harvest and feed your animals while at the same time they need the most every 3 days.

75 cows for example would need approx 28K L of grass for spring and summer every 3 days, and 113K L of power food for the same period. On 12 day seasons the amount you need to feed for the same 3 day period drops to 7K grass and 28K in power food, now extend this to the extreme of 24 day seasons and every three days you now only give those same 75 cows 3500K of grass and 14K L of powerfood every 3 days leaving more time to prep the fields.

Now lets talk pigs. 100 pigs will consume 108K L of corn, 54K L of cereals, 43K L of protein and nearly 11K L of root crops over a year. which would require 11.65HA of fields for corn, 5.5HA for wheat, 8.74HA for soybeans and .2HA for taters. It would be far easier to prepare fields to support that number of pigs with more game days in each season while at the same time your dumping far less every 3 days. Factor in weather delays in planting or preparing fields due to frozen ground, wet crop when it comes harvest time and the shorter the season duration the less time there is to accommodate an excessively wet autumn or cold spring. There is no guarantee that the ground will reach the proper germination temp for any crop before the planting season has ended.

But in the end your feeding the same over a full year.
Addictedtofs

Post by Addictedtofs »

I've found on seasons that pigs are a waste of time. As are sheep. They only produce at certain times, the rest of the time I'm taking a net loss. I do have 100 cows on Sussex. I make alot of money in the winter from them and a decent amount the rest of the time.
Fear of the fool is the beginning of wisdom--The Book of Dawn and Dusk

Dragonborn, huh? Was it your ma or your pa that was the dragon?” --Hadvar

Commander set a course. There's coffee in that nebula.--Admiral Catherine Janeway