Switching to PC for 19

RODHA

Re: Switching to PC for 19

Post by RODHA »

redglasses wrote: Thu May 10, 2018 10:15 pm See thats already too much, $700 in Canadian dollars is my price range, I just want to play fs on medium 60 fps :frown: :frown:
Get a PS4 Pro :biggrin2:
PS5 / FS22
NowHeresRoy

Post by NowHeresRoy »

redglasses wrote: Thu May 10, 2018 10:15 pm See thats already too much, $700 in Canadian dollars is my price range, I just want to play fs on medium 60 fps :frown: :frown:
Well you could easily build one that would run the game on med for that price. The rig I was pricing would run everything at max.
PC User
TEXAS USA
Therefore, if anyone is in Christ, he is a new creation. The old has passed away; behold, the new has come.
BulletBill

Post by BulletBill »

My specs are:

CPU: Intel i7 2.93ghz 940 (This is an old CPU)

RAM: 12GB Corsair Vengance DDR3 RAM

GPU: Gigabyte GeForce GTX 960 4GB

HDD: 2 x WD 500GB SATA 7200rpm

I run Farm Sim 17 on full/max graphic settings at 1920x1080.
If a map and mods are optimized properly it will run at a solid 60FPS constant.
Wisfarmer17

Post by Wisfarmer17 »

Ok well as it will work better for us we want to get a laptop. Here is some that i ahve found which of these would run fs 17 right now on max with room to spare. Would like to keep the price cheap as possible. Thanks for all the help.

https://www.bestbuy.com/site/dell-g-ser ... Id=6212436

www.bestbuy.com/site/dell-inspiron-15-6 ... Id=6162037

https://www.bestbuy.com/site/acer-preda ... Id=6211007

https://www.bestbuy.com/site/acer-nitro ... Id=6204553

https://www.bestbuy.com/site/asus-rog-s ... Id=6091633
PS4. MIDWEST USA.
reider

Post by reider »

Asus Rog or the Acer as both are i7. I5 is ample for games but i7 is a bonus, both have similar video cards which are not top of the range but will or should do the job quite well enough. The SSD makes the boot up quicker but a bit more space would be good. I'd get an external USB hardrive, one of those that takes its power from the USB slot (keep the laptop plugged in then) rather than a separate power brick and HDD. Install programs to the SSD only if you need them fast and powerful. The vast majority I'd install on the external drive and keep the SSD from filling up.

The Asus Rog (last link) has both the 1 TB data drive and the 256 GB SSD + 16GB Ram with a GTX 1050 (same as mine but in a desktop setup). I checked and the GTX1050 has 4GB Ram so this is better still. Win win and this is perhaps the best setup. With 17.3" measured diagonally you have plenty screen real estate for your games. You could plug in an external keyboard if the small keyboard hampers you whilst playing games. Add to this an Xbox 360 controller for Windows and you have a good controller for Farming Sim, ETS2, ATA and other games as well. Win win situation. Again use an external HDD as an archive and to keep the installer programs when you purchase games then install mainly on the 1 TB but frequently used games on a long term basis on the SSD Drive. You can at any point plug in even an external monitor and get even more screen real estate and LDC models take up little room and are inexpensive. This gives you the equivalent of a desktop situation but the bonus of the mobile laptop.
W1der

Post by W1der »

For "home use" i see no personal reason for a laptop these days (as I have a smart phone and most things I need a larger screen for is implemented in a modern TV).
You will probably get a lot more "gaming experience" for your money if you go with a "stationary" PC.

And regarding "waiting" ... always wait, as the GPU you buy today is going to be cheaper tomorrow ... :chinese:

If the budget is an issue ... why not look for a "used" set or at least look for a deal on a GPU this way (people are always upgrading for better stuff).
[Win11] Intel Core i9-13900F Tray 5.6GHz / MSI RTX4090 24GB GDDR6 / 2x16GB 5600MHz DDR5
Wisfarmer17

Post by Wisfarmer17 »

Thanks all i think we have decided to go with the Asus Rog as it has the most and isnt really pushing out the budget. Will probably be ordering one this week or next weekend.
PS4. MIDWEST USA.
this_is_gav

Post by this_is_gav »

No, don't go for the ROG, it's got the worst graphics chip of all of them! All of the other laptops are specced better than that for gaming.

The most rounded in terms of performance is probably the Acer Predator Helios 300 (3rd on your list). Much faster graphics and nice balance of CPU base speed and turbo speed.

Make sure you check for some reviews of a similar model first though, as specs don't mean much if the build quality is terrible. Gaming laptops can have notoriously low life spans as it is.

I'm with everyone else though - if you don't need a laptop don't get one. Most gaming laptops are compromised in every way and as a laptop are pretty poor (terrible battery life, heavy, hot and usually very loud). I'd strongly advise getting a standalone PC if possible.
Wisfarmer17

Post by Wisfarmer17 »

How do you tell what the graphics cards is and what is the better ones
PS4. MIDWEST USA.
Guil

Post by Guil »

Right click any blank space on the screen and then click display properties. It will tell you in there what card, if any, you have. You could also look at device manager and then display adapters.
Wisfarmer17

Post by Wisfarmer17 »

Is it expensive to upgrade a graphics card. Would i be able to get the same computer but with a different graphics card if i were to go to best but and buy a computer?
PS4. MIDWEST USA.
Guil

Post by Guil »

All depends on what card you want.
Smith Modding

Post by Smith Modding »

My specs (click the spoiler) run the game at max settings at 1080p at a reasonably steady 60FPS (poorly optimized maps will make it drop into the mid 40's). Id say if you were to build it instead of upgrading a prebuilt (like I did) it, its around $730, without a motherboard or a case, so bet on about $800, although I'd say it'd be more
Smith Modding Co.
Christian Based Modding
Isaiah 30:23- He will also send you rain for the seed you sow in the ground, and the food that comes from the land will be rich and plentiful. In that day your cattle will graze in broad meadows.:
Playing FS15-19 on PC
Playing too much FS19 :mrgreen:
Specs-
i5-7300HQ|NVIDIA GTX 1050ti|16GB DDR4 RAM|1TB/500GB SSD/256GB M.2|Windows 10
The Dude

Post by The Dude »

Question to anyone that switched from console to PC:

Was it worth it?

Im on a console now and thinking about switching to PC
NowHeresRoy

Post by NowHeresRoy »

Once you switch to pc, you will never want to go back to console. At least I haven't. I recently bought an xbox1 and gave it to my son because FS17 is not even close to the same game on console.
PC User
TEXAS USA
Therefore, if anyone is in Christ, he is a new creation. The old has passed away; behold, the new has come.