Switching to PC for 19

Robbh6

Re: Switching to PC for 19

Post by Robbh6 »

Wisfarmer17 wrote: Wed May 23, 2018 2:42 pmI havent got the first clue as to bow to build my ow. Computer. Although i am trying to get the wife to go along with a desktop
Here's a good tutorial video! In case you're genuinely interested in building your own.

https://youtu.be/IhX0fOUYd8Q

It's the video I used to build my first pc a couple of months ago. Also check out Paul's hardware on YouTube as he has got tutorial videos for installing windows etc. And things you should and shouldn't be doing when you first turn on your system.

j_maybury wrote: Thu May 24, 2018 12:36 am If you are thinking of a DIY build you will find there are some good tutors On YouTube, to help you build your own PC. Don't go with people like Jay's two cents or Linus tech-tips, as they go way over the top with stupid and unnecessary stuff like liquid coolants and RGB all over the case. Try someone like Carey Holzman.
I quite like JayTwoCents and Linus. I'd probably say the stuff they do is a bit advanced for someone new to building. When you're new It's confusing as hell anyway. Without throwing the watercooling and rgb stuff in the mix.

I wouldn't call watercooling unnecessary. You can make a PC virtually silent with a custom loop. Which is my plan. You can have the fans running so slow without ramping up even under load. Water displaces heat so much more efficiently than air alone.

It's why AIO coolers have really caught on. Same benefits as a custom loop without the fuss and maintenance.
But they don't look half as good as a custom hard-line loop with all the high end components. In my opinion.

As for RGB..... I love it!

RGB EVERYTHING!
PC MasterRace
- Mostly farming on the incredible Lone Oak Farm.

SPECS-
Intel i7-8086k @ 5.2GHz (1.32v)
16GB teamgroup ram @4000Mhz
Gigabyte FE GTX 1080 @ 2152core/2778memory
Asus maximus hero X mobo
Intel 760p Nvme 512GB SSD
1TB SSD
Custom Waterloop.
this_is_gav

Post by this_is_gav »

Robbh6 wrote: Thu May 24, 2018 9:04 amI wouldn't call watercooling unnecessary. You can make a PC virtually silent with a custom loop. Which is my plan. You can have the fans running so slow without ramping up even under load. Water displaces heat so much more efficiently than air alone.

It's why AIO coolers have really caught on. Same benefits as a custom loop without the fuss and maintenance.
But they don't look half as good as a custom hard-line loop with all the high end components. In my opinion.
Water cooling isn't necessary for silence at all. There are plenty of reviews of high-end air coolers (Noctua for example) that work as well as water cooling while being quieter. I've got an i7 4790K overclocked to 4.5GHz in a Fractal Design R5 case and it's silent (except the graphics card when gaming) and my PC is just air cooled.

The biggest benefit to water cooling in my opinion is ease of installation. A large silent air cooler can be quite fiddly to install, while a water cooler should be fairly simple.

What really benefits from water cooling is the graphics card when gaming, but you either have to custom install or fork out a lot for an all-in-one graphics card/water cooling combination.
Robbh6

Post by Robbh6 »

Fair answer. :smileynew:

However, I wasn't necessarily saying water is the only way you will get near silence. Didn't intend my reply to come across as the only way you'll get silence is with watercooling. I'm only saying it's not completely unnecessary. It has it's place too. Although it's not as beneficial as it used to be. On much older GPU's etc that run to the point of being at melting point, it was extremely useful at cooling them. Nowadays the benefit of water compared to air is much less.

Air cooling these days like you mention is pretty outstanding. Especially with the likes of noctua fans etc.
Like with most things these days, you get what you pay for. If you buy high end, you get amazing performance. If you buy cheap, well, you know the rest.

I think also with cooling a pc, it's all based on looks. And looks are subjective. You either like it or you don't. Same with RGB lighting. Some people hate it.
Me personally I love the look. So I want to build a water cooled pc. But I'll admit it's not cheap! :sadnew:

Ease of installation is definitely a thing when using AIO solutions. And possibly soft tube loops too.
I'll let you know how easy it is to install a hard tube custom water loop on a couple of months. :wink3: slowly acquiring the parts to build my own loop.
PC MasterRace
- Mostly farming on the incredible Lone Oak Farm.

SPECS-
Intel i7-8086k @ 5.2GHz (1.32v)
16GB teamgroup ram @4000Mhz
Gigabyte FE GTX 1080 @ 2152core/2778memory
Asus maximus hero X mobo
Intel 760p Nvme 512GB SSD
1TB SSD
Custom Waterloop.
Wisfarmer17

Post by Wisfarmer17 »

Thanks i will take a look at that tutorial and see how hard it looks