Switching to PC for 19

markare

Re: Switching to PC for 19

Post by markare »

It's a matter of personal preference wether could nsole or pc is bet for you. I have a pc for gaming that I no longer game on, I prefer console gaming. Simply a personal opinion. Yes I realise there are a lot more things available for PC than console not just for FS but for other games but to me too many mods take away from a game. If I wanted to change it completely I would learn how to edit the files and completely change the game play. With mods being limited on console I spend more time playing the game than I do looking for new mods, both update the same way, both get the majority of the same dlc released. Mods are the only difference in my own personal opinion between pc and console games
:hi:
Scottish farming with all the n00bery
Xb1
Sometimes stream, depends how I feel
http://aatg.freeforums.net/ work in progress
Robbh6

Post by Robbh6 »

The Dude wrote: Thu May 17, 2018 5:29 pm Question to anyone that switched from console to PC:

Was it worth it?

Im on a console now and thinking about switching to PC
Hell yea it's worth it! *thumbsup* :gamer:

Made the switch and built one from nothing 2 months ago and would never go back... Many more mods, other games (loving surviving mars at the moment), and now I don't get moaned at for using the TV when the missus wants to watch something. :lol:

Seriously. I wish I made the switch sooner.

The only downside I have found with building my own is now I want to do it again. 2 months in I have pre ordered a new case (lian-li PC-011 dynamic) and going to drop some serious cash on a custom hard tube water loop. Just because :coolnew: factor. And I kinda found building it more fun than using it.... :lol:
Plus I've got to the limits of what my AIO cooler can handle in regards to overclocking. Which is also immense fun!
PC MasterRace
- Mostly farming on the incredible Lone Oak Farm.

SPECS-
Intel i7-8086k @ 5.2GHz (1.32v)
16GB teamgroup ram @4000Mhz
Gigabyte FE GTX 1080 @ 2152core/2778memory
Asus maximus hero X mobo
Intel 760p Nvme 512GB SSD
1TB SSD
Custom Waterloop.
Mobias

Post by Mobias »

The Dude wrote: Thu May 17, 2018 5:29 pm Question to anyone that switched from console to PC:

Was it worth it?

Im on a console now and thinking about switching to PC
I splashed out on a top spec PC at the start of the year for playing FS and I haven't looked back at all. Its almost a different game on PC. If you love FS on console and put a lot of time into it then making the move to PC is a no brainer.

I suspect the gap between the console and PC versions of the game will narrow with FS-19 but there will always be licensing and outside script issues on the consoles. The PC version of the game will always be at least one step ahead I think.

The only real downside of the PC version coming off playing the game on console is that you need to get used to the fact its like the wild west out there for mods. There are thousands of mods and so many are broken, badly made or badly optimised. You do spend a lot of time trying to work out how many of the ten John Deere tractor mods you've just downloaded are actually any good. At least on console everything is well tested and curated by Giants.

When they do work though, the PC mods are a glorious thing.
Psychohate

Post by Psychohate »

I bought a pc recently because of FS 17. As everyone said, the amount of mods on pc make it feel like a different game than console.
The one thing I didn't like is trying to get used to playing with a keyboard and mouse. I've always played consoles so I'm used to a controller. I bought a controller for the pc but you still have to use the keyboard for a lot of controls. That's my only complaint.
New farmer mode always
Xbox Series x/..... Being kind don't cost a dime
Mobias

Post by Mobias »

Psychohate wrote: Fri May 18, 2018 3:37 pm I bought a pc recently because of FS 17. As everyone said, the amount of mods on pc make it feel like a different game than console.
The one thing I didn't like is trying to get used to playing with a keyboard and mouse. I've always played consoles so I'm used to a controller. I bought a controller for the pc but you still have to use the keyboard for a lot of controls. That's my only complaint.
You shouldn't need a keyboard and mouse except for mods like course play and IC that require the extra keyboard button and mouse inputs. I've got my PS4 controller mapped so it matches exactly what it was like on console.
Psychohate

Post by Psychohate »

^^ oh ok. *thumbsup* it's been a while since I've messed with the pc so I'm probably mistaken.
New farmer mode always
Xbox Series x/..... Being kind don't cost a dime
Wisfarmer17

Post by Wisfarmer17 »

Is there something special you have to have in order to use a ps4 controller with the pc?
PS4. MIDWEST USA.
Nigelbilt

Post by Nigelbilt »

Either a micro USB or a Bluetooth dongle. Steam supports DS4 "natively". If disk version there is a DS4 driver called DS4Windows or some such.
redglasses

Post by redglasses »

I have heard both side of the story tbh, I heard that its not all great like some say it is so, and honestly with bobcat on consoles, idk if I need a pc
Playing Lincoln Creek on PC
Upload your screenshots here: IMG server
My Discord
Remember there is no need to spread your manure around the forums :wink3:
Jack of all trades, master of the skid steer
BreadedVirus

Post by BreadedVirus »

Wisfarmer17 wrote: Fri May 18, 2018 10:46 pm Is there something special you have to have in order to use a ps4 controller with the pc?
I used my PS4 controller for a while, but kept having issues, so went and bought a wired Xbox controller.
the big print giveth the small print taketh
SEANMG42

Post by SEANMG42 »

Need the advice of a PC gamer to answer a few questions for me. I want to buy a PC in th near future.

Which 1 of the following should i upgrade?
i5 / i7 six core.
16GB Ram
GTX 1060 3GB
HD 1TB

1- Is an i7 worth the extra cost than an i5 (€150) or should i upgrade something else in its place(i7). (32GB Ram, GTX 1060 6GB)

2 - Should a PC work fine with a TV instead of a PC monitor.
Smith Modding

Post by Smith Modding »

TV should be fine, but if it doesn't have a game mode you might get some screen tearing. On to your specs- out of all of that to upgrade, I'd upgrade the 1060 to a 6gb card (or better if you can afford it). 32GB of RAM is pointless for gaming if you get the right i5 it'll be comparative to an i7. That's my opinion at least
Smith Modding Co.
Christian Based Modding
Isaiah 30:23- He will also send you rain for the seed you sow in the ground, and the food that comes from the land will be rich and plentiful. In that day your cattle will graze in broad meadows.:
Playing FS15-19 on PC
Playing too much FS19 :mrgreen:
Specs-
i5-7300HQ|NVIDIA GTX 1050ti|16GB DDR4 RAM|1TB/500GB SSD/256GB M.2|Windows 10
this_is_gav

Post by this_is_gav »

Pay no attention to the i5 and i7 monikers; they're just a guide. Some i7s will be slower for FS17 (and probably FS19) than some i5s. Farming Simulator really likes clock speed, so for example an i5 4-core 3.8GHz CPU would often be better than an i7 6-core 3.2GHz CPU for most tasks, including FS15 and FS17. Who knows whether it will be better for FS19, but I doubt there'll be a massive change in that regard.

32GB of RAM would be entirely useless for FS (16GB is more than enough for a good few years yet - even 8GB would be OK for now), but I'd consider going GTX 1060 6GB. Prices of graphics cards are still falling though, so hold back - they've just reached RRP, but will hopefully continue to fall.

Yeah a decent TV should work fine. So long as it and the graphics card you get have HDMI and you won't need a long cable then you should be fine (any non-active HDMI cables longer than 5m can cause issues at 4K).
reider

Post by reider »

For Farming purposes 16GB RAM is adequate. I use 8GB currently and have no problems. Had you been considering Flight Simming as well then yes 32GB RAM would be better, especially with P3Dv4. A good i5 is perfectly OK with the Farming Sims. I doubt Farming Simulator 2019 will bring anything to the table that needs a lot of RAM above 16GB.
SEANMG42

Post by SEANMG42 »

Thank you all for your replies much appreciated.

i5 option are i5 8400 = +€0 i5 8600k = +€60. if you can which would you recommend. With 1060 6GB.

The game i intend on playing eg.(FS19, ETS2, HOI4, Tropico) Strategy, Simulation mostly. Or how big of games could i go? Battlefield?