Loaders and their Differences

farmerdude5

Loaders and their Differences

Post by farmerdude5 »

Can someone in a clear and logical way explain the differences between telehandlers, wheel loaders, and skid steer loaders Are any of them better than say just a tractor with a front loader? Benefits and drawbacks? In real life, I have not really been around these machines so I don't really know a whole lot about them. Thanks!
redglasses

Re: Loaders and their Differences

Post by redglasses »

It depends what you need out of a loader.
If your working in tight spaces: Skid steer or itsi
If you need height: Telehandler, possibly a loader
If you need large capacity: Loader
If your on a budget and own a tractor: Get the loader arms and brackets

All in all my favorite is the skid steers, especially the new bobcat :biggrin2:
There are somethings you cant really do with it so I would also take a wheel loader.
Telehandlers are in between for capacity and maneuverability, but can lift HIGH
Tractor-loaders are imo the worst of the bunch, poor maneuverability, not great lift height, poor capacity, but low cost.

Hope this can help you decide, I hope it not too confusing :lol:
Playing Lincoln Creek on PC
Upload your screenshots here: IMG server
My Discord
Remember there is no need to spread your manure around the forums :wink3:
Jack of all trades, master of the skid steer
farmerdude5

Post by farmerdude5 »

redglasses wrote: Wed May 16, 2018 3:15 am It depends what you need out of a loader.

There are somethings you cant really do with it so I would also take a wheel loader.
Tractor-loaders are imo the worst of the bunch, poor maneuverability, not great lift height, poor capacity, but low cost.

So, then let me tell you my situation right now. Im running sawmill mod and slow bee pack up in the logging area. So that means forking or hauling logs to sawmill, grabbing the boards from the sawmill and moving to the bee hive builder and then moving and loading pallets of honey to the trailer. What one device would you use?
hpmc13

Post by hpmc13 »

I think that this all comes down to personal preference as all four of these vehicles drive/handle/steer and are weighted differently. That said, my preference is a telehandler. I hate the way skid steers and front loaders drive, and tractors are a little harder to line up. If you can afford it, try each one and see what you like. Or try them on another savegame just for fun.

Then again, I might just use a couple autoloading trailers and be done with it.
Playing on PC
redglasses

Post by redglasses »

farmerdude5 wrote: Wed May 16, 2018 3:20 am
redglasses wrote: Wed May 16, 2018 3:15 am It depends what you need out of a loader.

So, then let me tell you my situation right now. Im running sawmill mod and slow bee pack up in the logging area. So that means forking or hauling logs to sawmill, grabbing the boards from the sawmill and moving to the bee hive builder and then moving and loading pallets of honey to the trailer. What one device would you use?
I find the loader log grab hard to use, so I use the skid steer for logs. I would go for the skid steer in this situation, just as long as the skid steer can lift and move the pallets.
Playing Lincoln Creek on PC
Upload your screenshots here: IMG server
My Discord
Remember there is no need to spread your manure around the forums :wink3:
Jack of all trades, master of the skid steer
j_maybury

Post by j_maybury »

Redglasses is right but there are some drawbacks, for instance, the skid steer is very slow at getting from place to place and the wheel loader is fast enough but a bit of a dog for getting around in traffic and tight corners, but for extra hight you can buy a bucket with an over the top tipping action for those tipper wagons with high sides. So that is where the tractor loader comes in, it can get to places faster and can handle the traffic and those tight situations but it's a jack of all trades and master of none. The telehandlers are good but has no three point hitch at the back and limits its usefulness on the farm.
StoneC0ld

Post by StoneC0ld »

farmerdude5 wrote: Wed May 16, 2018 3:20 am
Personally, if I were limited to only one vehicle, I'd use the telehandler. It can easily reach the top of the tallest available logging trailer to drop the logs into, it should easily be able to handle all the pallets you could possibly need.
But, that also depends on what other needs you might have, such as hitches for trailers and such...
ClassicTractors

Post by ClassicTractors »

I'd say a skidsteer is going to be more manoverable in tight spaces.
CT Modding: Bringing the past to Farming Simulator....one machine at a time.

There's bound to be rough waters
And I know I'll take some falls
But with the good Lord as my captain
I can make it through them all

- Garth Brooks
farmerdude5

Post by farmerdude5 »

Thanks for all the replies, I'll test a few out and see what I think!
ltl.vamp

Post by ltl.vamp »

Try one Liebherr, too! It's fun to work with them!

https://www.farming-simulator.com/mod.p ... _id=100882
Xbox Series X, Xbox Series S, Xbox One X, Xbox One
FS17 Platinum > FS19 Premium > FS15 Complete > FS22
Samsung UE65MU8009TX 4KUHDHDR
juf.de

Post by juf.de »

Other then those above i do like the tractor with attached frontloader. The Advantage over the other loaders is the higher speed (up to 60 with Deutz series 7), the better handling with keyboard (loaders and skidsteerers are a pain in the a**) and the good log grabbing tool (the on for the telehandler and the loader are horrible). As i play with the more realistic mod the tractor has another advantage: better weihgt distribution, if you attach a larger shovel (like this or that) you can just attach a matching wiehgt to the back or install wheel weights. Also the turning radius isn't that bad if you choose the right tractor and you do not wast money on a completely new vehicle you can use for only one task
Tutorials: log.txt, Giants Bilderhoster, erweiterter Texteditor, Konsole (PC)    /    Direktlink Giants Imagehoster
[PC] [Mac] [XB1] [PS4] in the thread title keeps the Forum clean / im Threadtitel hält das Forum übersichtlich
Playing on PC
Sergeant Larson

Post by Sergeant Larson »

The lambo/duetz with arms is nice for running around cleaning up after the animals, but even with a mod bucket at 4000l i still need the front loader at the bg plant. Theres also a great mod bucket with 11500l cap.(looks like a snow bucket) for the front loader i feel i should mention. I have a testing grounds map with the money cheat or whatever like someone mentioned. Id recommend starting one for yourself. *thumbsup*
"What good is a house if you haven't got a tolerable planet to put it on?"
-Henry David Thoreau

XBONE
ILL6 Cooperative
Sosnovka Hard No Seasons 270 hrs
Bastogne, Montana
Lone Oak Farm Normal No Seasons
fenixguy

Post by fenixguy »

If money is not a problem, I like having a telehandler for feeding, pallets, bales, etc... They are the most forgiving to drive, have good higher-speed manners, are highly maneuverable, can pull trailers, and can reach very high. But I also like skid steers, loaders, and tractor frontloaders. They all have their place. For logging though, BSM's excavator is the way to go.
FS22 is the best one yet. Fight me!
Smith Modding

Post by Smith Modding »

I'm the weird one here in which I prefer a tractor loader, but that's my money managing side coming in. If I have enough money I'll buy a telehandler though, as I like the reach it has and it's more maneuverable than a loader
Smith Modding Co.
Christian Based Modding
Isaiah 30:23- He will also send you rain for the seed you sow in the ground, and the food that comes from the land will be rich and plentiful. In that day your cattle will graze in broad meadows.:
Playing FS15-19 on PC
Playing too much FS19 :mrgreen:
Specs-
i5-7300HQ|NVIDIA GTX 1050ti|16GB DDR4 RAM|1TB/500GB SSD/256GB M.2|Windows 10