Dairy farms on console

johnson6

Dairy farms on console

Post by johnson6 »

I'm planning on starting a somewhat big dairy farm on console (150-200 cows). What map would be good for this? Also, I heard a dairy operation is quite hard to be successful while playing with seasons. Is this true?
mrprez

Re: Dairy farms on console

Post by mrprez »

Cows are pretty simple. They need straw, grass, hay/silage and optionally a mixture of straw, silage and hay. Oh and some water. Keep their area clean and they will reproduce and make milk. I have 56 cows and make $30000 a day on milk. Started with 40 cows.

I don’t do seasons so can’t help you there.

I’m using Goldcrest Valley map, but have been playing this game for several hundred hours and own most of the land.
Goose66

Post by Goose66 »

As long as you have a few decent sized grass fields, keeping 150 cows is fairly easy. Just make sure you store plenty of feed for winter.
Playing on PC....Hollandscheveld maizeplus map
Suffolk, England
Discord ...Goose66
Addictedtofs

Post by Addictedtofs »

johnson6 wrote: Tue May 22, 2018 2:57 am I'm planning on starting a somewhat big dairy farm on console (150-200 cows). What map would be good for this? Also, I heard a dairy operation is quite hard to be successful while playing with seasons. Is this true?
For seasons there is a cheaty way to do it. Cut your fields and store 200000 liters of grass in the forge and chips silo. Then make 200000 more of hay and the same with silage. That'll cover you. I play six day seasons, and I often have some left over. Plant a field of wheat and then store the straw.
Fear of the fool is the beginning of wisdom--The Book of Dawn and Dusk

Dragonborn, huh? Was it your ma or your pa that was the dragon?” --Hadvar

Commander set a course. There's coffee in that nebula.--Admiral Catherine Janeway
Frozen Catalyst

Post by Frozen Catalyst »

Ballincraig Estate is good map for dairy. I'm currently running 35 cows and 50 odd sheep with mainly the starting fields plus couple of extras which planted potatoes in for variety

Though there is no silo so you would need the forage and chips mod to store feed as I think 200 cows would be over the bale limit.
Xbox One |FS22| Holmåkra
CMDRTAKEDOWN

Post by CMDRTAKEDOWN »

When I see big dairy I'm thinking in the 1k or over.
I don't think that 150-200 isn't a problem on any map. As long as you have some grass fields you're good to go.
PS4
PS5
BigC92

Post by BigC92 »

200 is my limit, i sell when it gets over 200.
redglasses

Post by redglasses »

Just probably dont want to do a super small map like altenstien
Playing Lincoln Creek on PC
Upload your screenshots here: IMG server
My Discord
Remember there is no need to spread your manure around the forums :wink3:
Jack of all trades, master of the skid steer
fenixguy

Post by fenixguy »

I'm doing cows and sheep on The Valley. I keep a minimum of 100 cows and a max of 200. I only have 3 small grass fields and still have more than enough with two cuttings per year. I'd go bigger but it takes too long to feed them.

I have a big pre-seasons save on Lawfolds with between 200-400 cows. I like the layout there with the silage clamp right dead center of the cow farm. Makes loading up the Peecon mixer a breeze. Again, I would have bought/bred more cows, but it takes too long to feed them.

Mind you, I try to play as realistically as I can. So my straw and hay are all bales, no loose stuff. Silage is done in the clamp due to the console bale limit.
FS22 is the best one yet. Fight me!
Chad

Post by Chad »

It's kinda a pain, but loading individual maps, and earnestly lookin' at them is the best way. My only large cow herd is on Sosnovka. 2200+ and counting. Not saying it is the ultimate map for cows. It just works for me. Good luck!!
masterplan

Post by masterplan »

Not with seasons though:
FS22 @ Xbox Series X | waiting for a cool mod map :biggrin2:
Frozen Catalyst

Post by Frozen Catalyst »

Need more sheep 🤣
Xbox One |FS22| Holmåkra
mrprez

Post by mrprez »

masterplan wrote: Wed May 23, 2018 10:21 am Not with seasons though:
Wow, how many cows are spawned each day?
masterplan

Post by masterplan »

Approx. 100. But I play on 1x time around the clock, so 24 hours in game are for me 24 hours of gameplay. ;-)
FS22 @ Xbox Series X | waiting for a cool mod map :biggrin2:
mrprez

Post by mrprez »

masterplan wrote: Wed May 23, 2018 12:37 pm Approx. 100. But I play on 1x time around the clock, so 24 hours in game are for me 24 hours of gameplay. ;-)
Do you leave the game running 24/7?