Harvesting grass seed.

kahfs

Harvesting grass seed.

Post by kahfs »

Are there dedicated mods out there for harvesting grass seed? I've seen a youtube video where grass seed is being harvested with the FS17 Class Lexion 700 Stage IV MW Edition, but with a normal grain header for wheat and barley. Is this how grass seed is harvested? I thought the grass is cut with a knife cutter and then let to dry out a bit before harvested with a combine with a rake up header.
K. Henneberg/ArmChairFarming. Author of RealLifeNumbers (FS19, FS22)
Earnest Pea

Re: Harvesting grass seed.

Post by Earnest Pea »

I would think it depends on whether you want grass or grass seed. Grass would be for haylage or hay. Grass seed would be for planting (I assume).
KnowhutImean?
PC|XB1
kahfs

Post by kahfs »

Earnest Pea wrote: Fri Jun 15, 2018 4:04 am I would think it depends on whether you want grass or grass seed. Grass would be for haylage or hay. Grass seed would be for planting (I assume).
I want the seed. It sells at a much higher price per liter than hay. Of course the volume per hectare is limited. But it seems like a forgotten fruit.
parad0x177

Post by parad0x177 »

kahfs wrote: Tue Jun 12, 2018 10:06 pm Are there dedicated mods out there for harvesting grass seed? I've seen a youtube video where grass seed is being harvested with the FS17 Class Lexion 700 Stage IV MW Edition, but with a normal grain header for wheat and barley. Is this how grass seed is harvested? I thought the grass is cut with a knife cutter and then let to dry out a bit before harvested with a combine with a rake up header.
I haven't tried it, but there are options on some of the cutters that come with that mod. I believe that selecting the proper options will allow it to harvest grass seed. (I can verify that choosing the wrong options will make it useless for the standard grains.)
kahfs

Post by kahfs »

parad0x177 wrote: Fri Jun 15, 2018 11:38 pm
kahfs wrote: Tue Jun 12, 2018 10:06 pm Are there dedicated mods out there for harvesting grass seed? I've seen a youtube video where grass seed is being harvested with the FS17 Class Lexion 700 Stage IV MW Edition, but with a normal grain header for wheat and barley. Is this how grass seed is harvested? I thought the grass is cut with a knife cutter and then let to dry out a bit before harvested with a combine with a rake up header.
I haven't tried it, but there are options on some of the cutters that come with that mod. I believe that selecting the proper options will allow it to harvest grass seed. (I can verify that choosing the wrong options will make it useless for the standard grains.)
Yes, I use the mod FS17 Class Lexion 700 Stage IV MW Edition with a special header for grass seed. It works fine, and I've seen real life videos of a Class combine harvesting grass seed. However, there is an alternative in real life, where a rake up header collects already cut grass, separates the seed into the grain bin and lay out a grass straw swath. It is this type of grass seed header I'm missing in FS17. Here's an example: https://youtu.be/a1p3C9IK9Sw