Is this feasible in FS map-making?

MrSquealypig

Is this feasible in FS map-making?

Post by MrSquealypig »

I'm on console so forgive me if this already exists as PC mods, but I was wondering if it is possible to make maps that are really long and narrow (i.e. you can't go off-road and everything along the route is just scenery) so that it could basically be a trucking sim map?

Transporting goods and equipment is one of my favorite things to do in FS and there are so many different things you could haul with all the mod trailers and vehicles!

Am I the only person who would be interested in something like this? There aren't any truck simulator games on console as far as I know, so maybe I am.
BulletBill

Re: Is this feasible in FS map-making?

Post by BulletBill »

Yes it is possible, however if you wanted it for console the map would only be a maximum of 2km long.
Plus most people play this game for farming not trucking.
I would say you want to play ETS or ATS as that is what that game is designed for.
MrSquealypig

Post by MrSquealypig »

BulletBill wrote: Mon Jun 25, 2018 12:24 pm Yes it is possible, however if you wanted it for console the map would only be a maximum of 2km long.
Plus most people play this game for farming not trucking.
I would say you want to play ETS or ATS as that is what that game is designed for.
Oh, I was hoping being narrow would allow it to be longer, but I guess not. Thanks for the info!
NowHeresRoy

Post by NowHeresRoy »

All you would have to do is make the road turn at the end of the map edge and then double back on the next turn. In theory it would be 10 or 20 times that length
PC User
TEXAS USA
Therefore, if anyone is in Christ, he is a new creation. The old has passed away; behold, the new has come.
fenixguy

Post by fenixguy »

Krd1749 wrote: Mon Jun 25, 2018 12:16 pmAm I the only person who would be interested in something like this?
Yes :lol:

But really though, I'm with you on liking to drive the trucks and haul stuff. One of my favorite things to do in the game. The problem is (besides the map size restrictions) the physics and driving mechanics are terrible in FS for trucks. All vehicles being a CVT with no gear changes makes for a very boring trucking game in my opinion. Also, most trucks can accelerate way too fast even with two fully-loaded BSM 70,000l tippers.

I can't remember, but I though one of the truck sims was also rumored to be coming to consoles. :confusednew:
FS22 is the best one yet. Fight me!
redglasses

Post by redglasses »

^^that would be so hype
Playing Lincoln Creek on PC
Upload your screenshots here: IMG server
My Discord
Remember there is no need to spread your manure around the forums :wink3:
Jack of all trades, master of the skid steer
markare

Post by markare »

It was rumoured but they have shelved plans for it as of now. But they may look at it again in the future.
:hi:
Scottish farming with all the n00bery
Xb1
Sometimes stream, depends how I feel
http://aatg.freeforums.net/ work in progress
GIJoe597

Post by GIJoe597 »

There is a user on FS-UK who is making a map which might interest you. His stated goal is a 4x with trucking, farming and production facilities being the catalyst for product movement.

https://www.fs-uk.com/forum/index.php?topic=199402.0

There was a Youtube video at one time but it is not showing up at the moment. Not sure what the issue is, but here is the link, incase it starts working again.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=rLq8hzakc8c

Snippet from his op over there;

" It will consist of several variably sized cities/towns from a tiny farming community to a thriving port city. Everything will be connected by road and rail though not always directly, which will encourage setting up transit networks that are capable of reaching all points. There will be arable land all throughout the map with the bulk of it in the northwest community of Hollis (roughly the size of the entire Goldcrest Valley map). There will be large stretches of flat land, rolling hills, heavily wooded areas and an island (reachable only by train, ferry or, swimming). Starting in the northeast and heading south along one of the 2 major highways we have the cities of Bristol, Tolland and Portland in the south. Heading west from Portland we hit an uninhabited island and then on to Springfield. Near the center will be the town of Meriden .. fairly reachable by Hollis with sell points for some products.

The sell points will be scattered near the cities and each will only accept certain crops (just like my other maps). And like my other maps, there will be no fields .. you must plow your own from scratch. This will allow the flexibility of deciding exactly how big or small you want your fields but more importantly, where you want to establish your farm .. either in the far reaches of the map so you can do long haul trucking/training to the sell points .. or just on the outskirts of the cities so you could conceivably deliver via tractor. Of course, hauling lumber across the map is a definite must have! And like Semino, there will be several transit stations around the map that will allow you to transport grain via train over long distances to be picked up by truck for final delivery to mills.

For design of the scenery, I've been collecting pics from Train Sim and ETS / ATS. I don't have any progress pics yet as I'm just now finalizing the folder structure to TRY to keep the assets organized this time. But I have tossed together a rough concept of the hydro-electric plant that will be near the center of Meriden (courtesy of Sosnovska)."
Steam: GIJoe597
Retiree who enjoys video games.