Lone oak update

Rasping rabbit

Re: Lone oak update

Post by Rasping rabbit »

I actually found the low storage a kind of benefit. If the silo went up to 500k I would probably have kept trekking back to the farm to use it. Instead I have put mod silos in places that suit me better. Like by the pig and sheep farms.

I realise I could have done that anyway, I just probably wouldn’t have 😆
BulletBill

Post by BulletBill »

Thanks for the advice about the bushel size of the silos.

If we took a conservative estimate of 5, 8, and 12 that would be 250,000 bushels or roughly just over 900,000litres total capcity.

Split that between the 6 crops you can store in it and that would be 150,000l each crop type.

The question is do you view the silo storage as per crop capacity or all of them combined.

Originally I had planned to raise the capacity per crop to 250,000L.
Case1370

Post by Case1370 »

BulletBill wrote: Fri Jul 20, 2018 12:38 pm Thanks for the advice about the bushel size of the silos.

If we took a conservative estimate of 5, 8, and 12 that would be 250,000 bushels or roughly just over 900,000litres total capcity.

Split that between the 6 crops you can store in it and that would be 150,000l each crop type.

The question is do you view the silo storage as per crop capacity or all of them combined.

Originally I had planned to raise the capacity per crop to 250,000L.
I always forget were talking about Liters and not bushels with how Giants does things,lol. Personally, from a realistic standpoint, if it were possible to do, each grain bin would be separate, so you could hold only up to 3 crops, or store just 1 crop in all 3. However Im sure there is probably isnt anyway to do that, or it would likely be very difficult to do.

Which ever you decide is fine by me. I could be off on the actual sizes of those bins, hard to tell without seeing them IRL. I may be a little high on how much they actually hold, big one may only hold 10,000 bushel, but the other 2 bins, Im probably pretty close on.

250,000L would be fine by me, since my guess is there is probably know easy way for you to divide them up into 3 different bins. Not sure if its possible to just have 1 total capacity, instead of a certain limit for each crop.

Whatever is the easiest way for you BB, you have did more than enough, with not just this map, but all of your maps. Not to put any other modders down, but you and those who work with you on your frontier design team, put all others to shame. So you wont get any complaints from me, whichever way you decide to go with the grain bin capacity.
RODHA

Post by RODHA »

I have to say that the way you look at the issue is the way it should be Bill :hi:

But, if you think about a regular game play, 100k ltrs per crop wouldn't be enough as the fields on Lone Oak yield quite a lot.

As you said, there are also other ways to store the crops but putting them into silos is the most efficient way especially on a large scale harvest operation in Lone Oak. You just need to empty the grain cart quickly and get back to your brilliant worker before he/she messes up.

250k sounds like good compromise in between the two perspectives I guess.
Collecting millions of liters of crop doesn't really make much of a sense anyways.
PS5 / FS22
W1der

Post by W1der »

Been thinking after reading about storage limit in silos.

For me it makes sense to make it hold the maximum amount according to it´s size ... and then it is up to the player if realism should apply.
Say I wanna store 500 000 liters (if that is the amount it could hold) of 1 crop and 1 crop only in the silo, realistically I should be able to do that and with that approach to the "problem" it is the players choice if to break "realism" or not.
[Win11] Intel Core i9-13900F Tray 5.6GHz / MSI RTX4090 24GB GDDR6 / 2x16GB 5600MHz DDR5
fenixguy

Post by fenixguy »

FYI, I tried the large building beside the silos the correct way (not backing up to the wall), and it does, in fact, hold crops.
FS22 is the best one yet. Fight me!
W1der

Post by W1der »

Bill ...
If you paint the ground outside the wall where it leaks through with a "tip collision mask" (as a quick fix) ... would that remove this problem?

I am having this problem on silage clamps on my own map ... but the clamps are rotated at a 45 degree angle on the map and making a smooth ask around them is hard due to the "design" of the painting tool.
[Win11] Intel Core i9-13900F Tray 5.6GHz / MSI RTX4090 24GB GDDR6 / 2x16GB 5600MHz DDR5
Tuurboclaw

Post by Tuurboclaw »

I think 250,000 to 300,000 is a great amount. It’s gets a good starting amount but still requires growth at some point. 100,000 is just a little low but like it was mentioned, whatever you decide is great.

I love this map! It is truly a work of art. Thanks for all your hard work!!!
BulletBill

Post by BulletBill »

One of our top testers went back and harvested f45 with barley (which is the highest yielding crop) which was fully fertilized and had the ploughing bonus.
It yielded 124,575L of Barley.

So we decided if we raised it to 250,000L per crop type that would allow you to have two field 45 size worth fields of the same crop and still fit it in the silos.

On the real life farm there are no silos. They primarily grow grass seed and have a grass seed cleaning/storage barn where the bins are ingame.

They store there Wheat in the big cream bay storage. With that and the large Machine shed as well you could potenitally store vasts amounts of grain.

@W1der - the tipCol mask layer is not very accurate, so it would depend on the placement of the building. It paints in a 2 square metre size. (Just seen the rest of your post, so you know only too well how awkward the tipColmask is)

It could also stop you tipping anywhere near the barn edge as it brings a warning message up. The tipCol mask is meant for areas where it would be awkward to pick up the tipped material.

What the buildings have instead is a tipCol collision wall (which is invisible) to stop the material from leaking through. With these you can be far more accurate with where you can and can't tip the material.

The only issue arises when people tip in the wrong place.
Also some modded trailers have the tip trigger to far extended behind the trailer meaning it is easier to tip beyond the tipCol.

In real life if you backed your trailer up against a wall then opened the tailgate it would damage the trailer.
Instead you would tip maybe 10ft or 3m from the wall. A loader would shovel it and push it up later on.
Last edited by BulletBill on Fri Jul 20, 2018 2:02 pm, edited 1 time in total.
RODHA

Post by RODHA »

fenixguy wrote: Fri Jul 20, 2018 1:38 pmFYI, I tried the large building beside the silos the correct way (not backing up to the wall), and it does, in fact, hold crops.
I might be wrong on this one but I remember reading somewhere that too much loose material (crops, grass, etc.) on the ground creates issues with the game after some point.
Did you experience anything like that?
Thats the reason why I stay away from tipping on the ground for long term storage purposes.
PS5 / FS22
BulletBill

Post by BulletBill »

RODHA wrote: Fri Jul 20, 2018 2:01 pm
fenixguy wrote: Fri Jul 20, 2018 1:38 pmFYI, I tried the large building beside the silos the correct way (not backing up to the wall), and it does, in fact, hold crops.
I might be wrong on this one but I remember reading somewhere that too much loose material (crops, grass, etc.) on the ground creates issues with the game after some point.
Did you experience anything like that?
Thats the reason why I stay away from tipping on the ground for long term storage purposes.
Not at all. Seasons snow is a material same as any tipped crop. That has very little effect on performance as the material has a clip distance of about 80m. Thereby limiting the impact on performance.
nature-girl

Post by nature-girl »

Hallo,

Ich hoffe es steht nicht schon irgendwo und ich habe es überlesen...

Ist die map season ready?
Bin auf jeden Fall von ihr begeistert. Super map!

Edit: oh sorry, i'm at the english forum... Is the map ready for the season Mod? It's a great map, thank you for this.

Vg
Last edited by nature-girl on Fri Jul 20, 2018 2:25 pm, edited 1 time in total.
fenixguy

Post by fenixguy »

Yeah RODHA, I've had as much as 400,000l of beets on the ground at one time, silage in the clamp, and snow on the ground and never seen a problem. One thing Giants got right, IMO, is the tip anywhere (other than building collisions :zunge: )

So now that I know the "big cream bay storage" building works for crops, I sold the BSM silo. I get anxiety from having empty buildings on a map so this pleases me. :lol:
W1der

Post by W1der »

Big cream bay storage?

Screenshot anyone? ... :blushnew:
fenixguy

Post by fenixguy »

W1der wrote: Fri Jul 20, 2018 2:33 pm Big cream bay storage?

Screenshot anyone? ... :blushnew:
That's what BulletBill calls it so I guess that's what it's supposed to be called. :biggrin2: The one in the center of this picture that I had no idea I took.

The first time I used it, the crop spilled through the back. I was dumping corn in there like a noob and getting the trigger too far back. If you dump it like you're supposed to, it holds the crop.