Lone oak update

BulletBill

Re: Lone oak update

Post by BulletBill »

Thank you Steve, Paul and the many others who do support us modders... the one thing that has kept us going through Fs17 is you guys and reading the positive feedback.

In an ideal world we would ignore the haters and only focus on the positives.
TallPaul003

Post by TallPaul003 »

We all try, and fail to ignore them. They are a sad part of the modern world. As soon as you take the bait, they've got what they were after.

Just look at the grief Lars gets daily from whiners moaning about FREE mods taking too long to get tested... he sounds like he's had enough.

Oh... and somehow need to get everyone who is enjoying lone oak needs to go on modhub and rate it as they see fit!!!
FS17 on XBone
BulletBill

Post by BulletBill »

Unfortunately the Modhub rating system is flawed.

Using a 1 - 5 star system most mods will average around 3.8 stars. That is just the law of averages with this rating system.

People often rate in unusal ways. Like I've had comments made "Love the map, can't stop playing it, rate it 3/5"...

But if a map was 3.0 stars people would think it was rubbish on Modhub.

Or the always classic "i rate it 4/5, because theres always room for improvement".

The fact is to have an average better than 4.0 stars means almost no ratings under 5 stars.

The other issue is how easily it is for people to troll and downrate mods if they have a personal gripe against a particular modder or mod.

Speaking with many modders this is happening to many of them although not all as the Modhub ratings show.

When you sort out all the mod maps on the Modhub the top 20 rated maps are 17 European and 3 American.

Lossberg is No.1, with Welker Farms being at No.2

The majority of the top 30 maps are European with the top UK/Irish map being "Oakfield Farm" sat in 26th.

Another trait is less known modders often have a chance of better average ratings than more well known modders.
Last edited by BulletBill on Sun Aug 19, 2018 12:27 am, edited 1 time in total.
Weasle

Post by Weasle »

Bullet,

I know I have been guilty of it, but I do not rate mods often. Maybe I should to help you guys out more.

I Just gave Lone Oak a 5 though. Let's be honest here. Your maps show your dedication to this. And this is with the health issues and life issues you deal with.

Your maps are amazing. That rating system is flawed I agree. To be frank I actually had uninstalled Losberg to make room for more of your maps, because they are some of the best ones out there.

I have 158 hours into Lone Oak at the moment. I have not enjoyed a map this much since Lawfolds. I swear I would never play another map once I was on Lawfolds. But then you released West Coast and now this. I have not played Lawfolds since January.

And I can honestly say that while I will play FS19 when it comes out, to get the trophies and see the new features. I am going back to FS17 until your great maps make it over to FS19. There is just no point playing standard in game maps when I see how great your maps are.

To be fair the guy said he loved the map, if anything maybe he meant it as constructive criticism as he wanted to make larger fields.

While I do plan to connect some fields together because all the paths between fields are not needed for the way I progress around the map, (I have crop destruction on so I usually follow roads). My main focus is to not alter the map in such a way where it does not look as great as what it once was.

I know for one I would not play farming simulator as much without you and other great modders maps and mods you all put out with such hard work and dedication.

If you guys get enjoyment out of it then that is what matters. You cannot please everyone, and to be fair if they do not like the map they can play something else. Do not let the people who have complaints steal your fire.
BulletBill

Post by BulletBill »

Thank you Weasle for your thoughts. I appreciate the support to.

Personally for me the key to keeping on modding is to be able to focus on the enjoyment of mod making while ignoring the negatives.

If you put Modhub ratings, trolls or unfair negative comments, and the hassle of uploading mods onto Modhub for console aside, modding is very enjoyable and rewarding.

You get to learn new skills, and challenge yourself. You get to create new scenery to enjoy spending time in it.

If you could manage to focus on just that you would be fine.
mrprez

Post by mrprez »

I wasn’t aware of the rating system. Where on mod hub do you cast your vote? Lone Oak has been one of my favorite maps. I did see a rating system on the console, but no way to vote. LoneOak had 5 stars for what it's worth.
Last edited by mrprez on Sun Aug 19, 2018 4:28 am, edited 1 time in total.
Maxxum 135

Post by Maxxum 135 »

Hi Bill
Just wanted to say that if you give up on modding you will be sorely missed by the majority of players.
If it wasn't for yours and Oxygen Daves Maps I certainly wouldn't be playing as much as I do now.
I personally don't like the vanilla maps. Too much wasted space for my liking. It's always a relief when one of your maps appear as the realism, atmosphere and the pure immersion is second to none.
Since 17 came out I have played CPF, West Coast, Oakfield and Lone Oak. I have tried others but for me they just don't come close to the detail of your maps. In my eyes your maps stand out from all the others. Having worked on quite a few farms during my life yours are the closest to having the right feeling and atmosphere.
Don't give up or I might just have to stick with FS17.
Cheers
Marcus
Patrick73

Post by Patrick73 »

I don’t take any notice of ratings for maps simply because I’ve seen negative ratings minutes after release. I’m convinced people just do it out of spite.
Jethrofarmer17

Post by Jethrofarmer17 »

Can anybody tell me the easiest way to feed the cows going through the right gate
BulletBill

Post by BulletBill »

You can rate any mod on Modhub here: https://www.farming-simulator.com/mods. ... country=gb

Thank you again for your kind, supportive comments.
You are correct in that many mods can get downrated the moment they are released on the Modhub.
When "The West Coast" was first released it had 50 ratings in the first 10mins, the average rating was 1 star. I've heard the same happening with some other modders as well.

We've asked GIANTS countless times to change the rating system, but it isn't high on there prioirty list.

The problem is this and other aspects is making it harder for modders to keep on modding.
Jethrofarmer17 wrote: Sun Aug 19, 2018 11:24 am Can anybody tell me the easiest way to feed the cows going through the right gate
Open the two gates and drive through into the cow pasture. You can also access it from the track down towards the lake.
Fade2black

Post by Fade2black »

I wouldn't read too much into the ratings Sam. I think it's more down to people not voting than giving a bad rating. I hold my hands up and admit it sometimes takes me ages to rate a mod that I really like. Your maps are all top quality so just do what you do and how you want.
Newhollandfan7

Post by Newhollandfan7 »

Great map Bullet Bill. One of the best in FS 17, especially those grain bin setups and the vehicle shop is super realistic. Here in South Africa our grain selling points look a lot like it!

Lets hope Giants can improve the Modhub for both users and modders for FS19, so that it will benefit all the parties involved. It is a shame that people downgrade and bash other people's work just because they don't like it. Everybody has a opinion, but there is a proper way to give constructive criticism, because hurtful words do harm people.
John 14:6 - "Jesus is the way, the truth and the life".
Fobok

Post by Fobok »

Bullet Bill, I just wanted to say that I hope my nitpicks in a couple of places about the starting equipment — if you saw them — didn't come across as hating. It was never meant to be that. It was mostly meant to make fun of myself at my own shock on getting what I wanted out of a realistic map. (Somewhat bigger starting fields, the kind of fields I grew up in and around here in Ontario. Which, of course, take longer to work.)

I absolutely love this map. The whole thing just feels real. All the little details that fill in the blanks, while still being a wide-open mostly-courseplay-friendly map. I rated it 5 stars.
BulletBill

Post by BulletBill »

Fobok wrote: Mon Aug 20, 2018 10:57 am Bullet Bill, I just wanted to say that I hope my nitpicks in a couple of places about the starting equipment — if you saw them — didn't come across as hating. It was never meant to be that. It was mostly meant to make fun of myself at my own shock on getting what I wanted out of a realistic map. (Somewhat bigger starting fields, the kind of fields I grew up in and around here in Ontario. Which, of course, take longer to work.)

I absolutely love this map. The whole thing just feels real. All the little details that fill in the blanks, while still being a wide-open mostly-courseplay-friendly map. I rated it 5 stars.
Not at all, there hasn't been anything on this topic that has bothered me in the slightest.

Thank you for the rating too.
Greymantle1

Post by Greymantle1 »

BulletBill wrote: Sat Aug 18, 2018 11:57 pm Unfortunately the Modhub rating system is flawed.

Using a 1 - 5 star system most mods will average around 3.8 stars. That is just the law of averages with this rating system.

People often rate in unusal ways. Like I've had comments made "Love the map, can't stop playing it, rate it 3/5"...

But if a map was 3.0 stars people would think it was rubbish on Modhub.

Or the always classic "i rate it 4/5, because theres always room for improvement".

The fact is to have an average better than 4.0 stars means almost no ratings under 5 stars.

The other issue is how easily it is for people to troll and downrate mods if they have a personal gripe against a particular modder or mod.

Speaking with many modders this is happening to many of them although not all as the Modhub ratings show.

When you sort out all the mod maps on the Modhub the top 20 rated maps are 17 European and 3 American.

Lossberg is No.1, with Welker Farms being at No.2

The majority of the top 30 maps are European with the top UK/Irish map being "Oakfield Farm" sat in 26th.

Another trait is less known modders often have a chance of better average ratings than more well known modders.
I rate mods based on my personal taste. With your mod if I take the time to download and install then load it up and find the field prices are really cheap I give 2 stars. I like the progression that comes with buying fields and I find cheap fields takes that away. I do have a question for you on this map. I would like to try it without downloading does it have cheap field prices? If I recall you like to use cheap field prices I may remember this wrong. As for the ratings you should just ignore like you said the system used here is flawed.

Update: I loaded up your map and yes your field prices are way to cheap for me. I don't like when you can buy one or more fields from one harvest. It's to bad your map is what I'm looking for other than the field prices which I can't fix myself with an easy edit. :(