Lone oak update

Weasle

Re: Lone oak update

Post by Weasle »

I just want to thank you again bullet. I was mid summer, year two, hard seasons lone oak. I had just gotten all my chores done. I mowed that grass field, by the pond. It is one of the best fields I have ever seen.

From the lake, to all the hidden cubbies in that field, to being surrounded by trees. Amazing work.

I was just relaxing at the lake cabin fishing and then high demand for soybeans kicked in. I was able to cash in on last years harvest. Made 300k on hard. No easy feat.

Bill, without your maps I would not be playing nor enjoy the game as much. I wish I lived in the UK. I would buy you a pint.

Thank you so much.

Edit to above poster. I think field prices are fair. Playing on hard seaons I really struggled to get equipment I wanted and buy a few fields without using easy mode logging my first couple of years. Maybe don't play on normal?

You are doing yourself a disservice by not playing this map.
BulletBill

Post by BulletBill »

Thank you Weasle,

As for the field prices the GIANTS field prices are massively unrealistic.
Also the vast majority of players I noticed end up only ever owning the few fields close to the farm and rarely farm all the map.
It seemed such a waste of mod maps where players could spend 300 hours on a savegame and still often only have the start up fields.
So instead I lowered the field prices to allow the player to expand more quickly.
Particularly if you play on hard or with Seasons this helps massively.
Also taking field prices here in the UK a 10-15 acre field is about the same as a Mid/Large sized brand new tractor, not the price of a small country like GIANTS would charge you as default.

But each to there own. Thats the beauty of this game that there are always alternative maps to play on.
ltl.vamp

Post by ltl.vamp »

Please don't care about the stars. 3139 People take time and go to the homepage to vote. Haters and Lovers are together 3139! Threethousandsandthirtynine! Thats an honor!
Xbox Series X, Xbox Series S, Xbox One X, Xbox One
FS17 Platinum > FS19 Premium > FS15 Complete > FS22
Samsung UE65MU8009TX 4KUHDHDR
Greymantle1

Post by Greymantle1 »

BulletBill wrote: Tue Aug 21, 2018 10:52 am Thank you Weasle,

As for the field prices the GIANTS field prices are massively unrealistic.
Also the vast majority of players I noticed end up only ever owning the few fields close to the farm and rarely farm all the map.
It seemed such a waste of mod maps where players could spend 300 hours on a savegame and still often only have the start up fields.
So instead I lowered the field prices to allow the player to expand more quickly.
Particularly if you play on hard or with Seasons this helps massively.
Also taking field prices here in the UK a 10-15 acre field is about the same as a Mid/Large sized brand new tractor, not the price of a small country like GIANTS would charge you as default.

But each to there own. Thats the beauty of this game that there are always alternative maps to play on.
The prices may be compared to real life but with their in-game economy, they are pretty spot on. If people want it easier with standard prices they can play on easy. When you make the fields really cheap there is no option for people like me even if I play on hard. It's too bad you can't have a toggle option. :)
Greymantle1

Post by Greymantle1 »

Weasle wrote: Tue Aug 21, 2018 8:41 am I just want to thank you again bullet. I was mid summer, year two, hard seasons lone oak. I had just gotten all my chores done. I mowed that grass field, by the pond. It is one of the best fields I have ever seen.

From the lake, to all the hidden cubbies in that field, to being surrounded by trees. Amazing work.

I was just relaxing at the lake cabin fishing and then high demand for soybeans kicked in. I was able to cash in on last years harvest. Made 300k on hard. No easy feat.

Bill, without your maps I would not be playing nor enjoy the game as much. I wish I lived in the UK. I would buy you a pint.

Thank you so much.

Edit to above poster. I think field prices are fair. Playing on hard seaons I really struggled to get equipment I wanted and buy a few fields without using easy mode logging my first couple of years. Maybe don't play on normal?

You are doing yourself a disservice by not playing this map.
I play on hard and it's too easy to buy up the fields on this map. I really don't have any options here unless I want to go and edit every field on the map. 0_0 It's like a snowball going downhill it keeps getting bigger and bigger as it rolls. This is what happens as I buy up fields it just gets easier and easier really fast. I wish there was an easy way to adjust the prices. :(

I'm from the US and wanted to play this map but have to say Stappenbach 17 is a really good map I started it yesterday.
Last edited by Greymantle1 on Tue Aug 21, 2018 9:05 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Weasle

Post by Weasle »

With long seasons on hard i struggled my first year. I really couldnt expand like you describe until like 150 hours in
Greymantle1

Post by Greymantle1 »

Weasle wrote: Tue Aug 21, 2018 9:04 pm With long seasons on hard i struggled my first year. I really couldnt expand like you describe until like 150 hours in
Just do forestry. :) Nothing like a chainsaw, tipper, tractor with a front loader with logging fork during all the downtime on that first year.
fenixguy

Post by fenixguy »

I like the field prices. I don't get to play 10 hours a day so it's nice to be able to expand the farm a little bit every year. This map will be home for a very long time.
FS22 is the best one yet. Fight me!
Weasle

Post by Weasle »

Greymantle1 wrote: Tue Aug 21, 2018 9:06 pm
Weasle wrote: Tue Aug 21, 2018 9:04 pm With long seasons on hard i struggled my first year. I really couldnt expand like you describe until like 150 hours in
Just do forestry. :) Nothing like a chainsaw, tipper, tractor with a front loader with logging fork during all the downtime on that first year.
I an not clearing those beautiful trees off the map. So I plant my own. Those arent ready for 5 years. Field prices.dont matter on any map if you do forrestry. Thats FS15 silage. Anyone can get rich off forrestry.

I thought you wanted a challenge?
Greymantle1

Post by Greymantle1 »

Weasle wrote: Tue Aug 21, 2018 9:16 pm
Greymantle1 wrote: Tue Aug 21, 2018 9:06 pm
I an not clearing those beautiful trees off the map. So I plant my own. Those arent ready for 5 years. Field prices.dont matter on any map if you do forrestry. Thats FS15 silage. Anyone can get rich off forrestry.

I thought you wanted a challenge?
Rich? I get about 4k per tipper load far from getting rich. Let alone this is all done with a chainsaw with front loader tractor and a tipper which takes a lot of time. There is so much downtime with Seasons the first couple of years what else are you going to do? Missions? A lot of maps don't even have missions or a very limited use of them.
Weasle

Post by Weasle »

I made so much silage it took me all winter to sell it. Yes I do missions. It saves me fert and seed costs plus reduces the field prices.

I had no downtime. Chainsaw? 4k tipper? Thats not rich man forrestry. Lease a scorpian king, get the placeable wood chip thing, its prices are fixed, and drag trees over to it. Hundreds of thousands per day. Thats what i mean rich off forrestry
Greymantle1

Post by Greymantle1 »

Weasle wrote: Tue Aug 21, 2018 9:41 pm I made so much silage it took me all winter to sell it. Yes I do missions. It saves me fert and seed costs plus reduces the field prices.

I had no downtime. Chainsaw? 4k tipper? Thats not rich man forrestry. Lease a scorpian king, get the placeable wood chip thing, its prices are fixed, and drag trees over to it. Hundreds of thousands per day. Thats what i mean rich off forrestry
I don't use the lease option so that is not an option for me.
Weasle

Post by Weasle »

You wouldnt want to anyway, you sound like me and do not like getting rich quick and buying up the map.

Anyway back to lone oak update, thread off topic.
this_is_gav

Post by this_is_gav »

Greymantle1 wrote: Tue Aug 21, 2018 2:30 am I rate mods based on my personal taste. With your mod if I take the time to download and install then load it up and find the field prices are really cheap I give 2 stars. I like the progression that comes with buying fields and I find cheap fields takes that away. I do have a question for you on this map. I would like to try it without downloading does it have cheap field prices? If I recall you like to use cheap field prices I may remember this wrong. As for the ratings you should just ignore like you said the system used here is flawed.

Update: I loaded up your map and yes your field prices are way to cheap for me. I don't like when you can buy one or more fields from one harvest. It's to bad your map is what I'm looking for other than the field prices which I can't fix myself with an easy edit. :(
It is actually a fairly easy edit if you're on PC or Mac. Unzip the map to a folder, open the maps > map01.i3d in a text editor (I recommend Notepad++) then do a search and replace:

Searching for:

Code: Select all

"fieldPriceScale" type="float" value="0.2"
And replacing it with:

"fieldPriceScale" type="float" value="1.0"
Save the file again and exit the text editor.

Go back a level from the maps folder (you should now be in the folder which contains the modDesc.xml and defaultVehicles.xml among other files and folders), select everything and zip them back up again - it depends on your zip program, but even Windows can do this for you by right-clicking > Send to > Compressed (zipped) folder and name it FS17_LoneOakFarm_customFP.zip or something and move it to your mods folder. Remove the old FS17_LoneOakFarm file and folder.

Voila - field prices using Giants' price scale.
Greymantle1

Post by Greymantle1 »

this_is_gav wrote: Wed Aug 22, 2018 10:46 am
Greymantle1 wrote: Tue Aug 21, 2018 2:30 am I rate mods based on my personal taste. With your mod if I take the time to download and install then load it up and find the field prices are really cheap I give 2 stars. I like the progression that comes with buying fields and I find cheap fields takes that away. I do have a question for you on this map. I would like to try it without downloading does it have cheap field prices? If I recall you like to use cheap field prices I may remember this wrong. As for the ratings you should just ignore like you said the system used here is flawed.

Update: I loaded up your map and yes your field prices are way to cheap for me. I don't like when you can buy one or more fields from one harvest. It's to bad your map is what I'm looking for other than the field prices which I can't fix myself with an easy edit. :(
It is actually a fairly easy edit if you're on PC or Mac. Unzip the map to a folder, open the maps > map01.i3d in a text editor (I recommend Notepad++) then do a search and replace:

Searching for:

"fieldPriceScale" type="float" value="0.2"
And replacing it with:

"fieldPriceScale" type="float" value="1.0"
Save the file again and exit the text editor.

Go back a level from the maps folder (you should now be in the folder which contains the modDesc.xml and defaultVehicles.xml among other files and folders), select everything and zip them back up again - it depends on your zip program, but even Windows can do this for you by right-clicking > Send to > Compressed (zipped) folder and name it FS17_LoneOakFarm_customFP.zip or something and move it to your mods folder. Remove the old FS17_LoneOakFarm file and folder.

Voila - field prices using Giants' price scale.
Thanks for this information. :)