Map Size ? ? ?

KevinMn

Re: Map Size ? ? ?

Post by KevinMn »

Well a 4x don't have to be harder to run than a 1x, it's all about clipdistances. If you can't see further than a 1x, t's not really rendering any more stuff.

And to answer some other questions no you don't plant on all the fields on a 4x map, not even a 16x map. The reason that I personally only play 4x (but would love a 16x map), is because of the distances. The "world" inside FS seems much more realistic and fun when there's a bit of distance to everything. In a 1x it's often only like a 20 second drive to the sell point, that's not always fun..

Last night I sold 4 loads of grain with a tractor only going 43 km/h, it took 5-6 mins each way :D So almost 45-50 minutes to sell those 4 loads, that might seem like much, but I enjoy driving, especially with my wheel and all. Most of the fields on my current 4x aren't that big either (3-5 ha) I only just got one that's 10 ha. Sure the largest on the map is 76 ha, but that's the beauty of it, all the possibilities.

Another advantage is being able to move your farm. Usually there's only one place for a grain farm, but on my map there're currently 5. I have once moved my entire farm, and that just offers more possibilities.
I would love a 16x map, but not with 16x field sized, just 10 times as many fields :)
Alagos

Post by Alagos »

Honestly Gunner, your original question about the maps has already been answered way to many times by people from Giants, and we've mentioned it too. It's all about Performance.
And DX12, we don't know anything about FS19, and these kinds of questions arent being answered.
They will have a good reason for whatever they did or didn't do, so it doesn't really matter at all.

So you expected different(?) answers and kept complaining because you want it to change, that does sound entitled to me.
Everyone wants something from Giants, most won't get it, live with it!

And, Kevin, maybe 4x or 16x maps don't actually have to be more work rendering, but they are way more work for PCs/consoles anyway. The FS maps are always fully loaded, so a 4x map requires 4 times as much power compared to a standard map. The game always knows everything what happens on the whole map, that's where your teleport abilities come from.
I assume people don't use Seasons, unless they say otherwise.

How to upload your >> log<<
How to upload >>images << to the forum
How to get your gamekey's activation limit >>reset<<
How to report a >> bug <<

>>Rules<<
empato

Post by empato »

KevinMn wrote: Wed Jul 25, 2018 2:59 pm Well a 4x don't have to be harder to run than a 1x, it's all about clipdistances. If you can't see further than a 1x, t's not really rendering any more stuff.

And to answer some other questions no you don't plant on all the fields on a 4x map, not even a 16x map. The reason that I personally only play 4x (but would love a 16x map), is because of the distances. The "world" inside FS seems much more realistic and fun when there's a bit of distance to everything. In a 1x it's often only like a 20 second drive to the sell point, that's not always fun..

Last night I sold 4 loads of grain with a tractor only going 43 km/h, it took 5-6 mins each way :D So almost 45-50 minutes to sell those 4 loads, that might seem like much, but I enjoy driving, especially with my wheel and all. Most of the fields on my current 4x aren't that big either (3-5 ha) I only just got one that's 10 ha. Sure the largest on the map is 76 ha, but that's the beauty of it, all the possibilities.

Another advantage is being able to move your farm. Usually there's only one place for a grain farm, but on my map there're currently 5. I have once moved my entire farm, and that just offers more possibilities.
I would love a 16x map, but not with 16x field sized, just 10 times as many fields :)
Can you please let me know the name of the map?
HC1Gunner

Post by HC1Gunner »

Addictedtofs wrote: Wed Jul 25, 2018 1:30 pm Dirt poor but you had 900 to spend building a computer. Hmmm
I did not do it all at once, I gathered components one at a time over the course of about 10 months. I did a few odd jobs here, and there to get some extra income. Anyone can build a middle of the road gaming PC for the same price. I've been building PC's since my first Pentium with 32mb or RAM (upgraded to 64mb), 14" CRT monitor, and dot matrix printer cost me $3,200 in 1986. I bought some books, read up on the subject, and a year later built my PC for half the cost, and never looked back.
If you can insert tab A into slot A, anyone can build their own PC, even if they are not mechanically or electrically inclined. The net is filled with these types of How-to articles, and videos.
Asus ROG STRIX X670E-A GAMING
AMD Ryzen 9 7900X3D
32GB G.SKILL Trident Z5 Neo AMD EXPO 32GB DDR5 6000 F5-6000J3038F16GX2-TZ5NR
SSD NVMe 1 TB - Samsung 990 PRO
Sapphire NITRO+ RX 7900 XTX Vapor-X
Corsair HX1200 1200 Watt Pwr Sup
NZXT Kraken Z73 360 AIO CPU Cooler
Sennheiser Game One headset / Sennheiser GSX 1000 Gaming Audio Amplifier
LG 32GK850G-B 32" QHD 65Hz Refresh Rate
Win 11 Pro 64bit
muzickmage

Post by muzickmage »

I was greatly disappointed with the map size Giants gave us with FS17. I will be even more dissappointed to see the same small postage stamp size map again for FS19.

I personally credit the small map size to the lack of things on the map. As it is the map looks somewhat empty of ideas. A few sell places, a town-like area, and fields/animals tossed all over the place to fill the holes. If Giants made the map bigger the lack of map activity and options would be more noticable.

I would think by now, at least for FS19, Giants would have enough ideas to fill a 4x4 map. Especially when Giants have the multiplayer community to consider as well. I, as a single player, find the current map size somewhat limiting and empty. I can't imagine 5-8 people teaming up for these tiny/empty maps. They must be bored out of their minds.

As for computer specs. I can't see a Giants 4x4 map being that much of a problem for the average computer to use. Giants' maps aren't usually bogged down with all that much. Modded maps however, they are commonly heavily modded to the gills. So fair argument when considering the modded maps. Giants' maps however, even 4x4 should be fine.

Seriously. How old of a computer do you have if you can't run a Giants' map? lol.
fenixguy

Post by fenixguy »

I'm starting to think from the responses it has a little bit to do with hardware and some to do with not enough demand for bigger maps. I've yet to run out of room on a standard size map. As far as running out of ideas, it's a farming game. Fields, woods, roads, sell points, town, animal areas, biogas plant, a few houses here and there... what else do we need? :hmm:
FS22 is the best one yet. Fight me!
HC1Gunner

Post by HC1Gunner »

I'm not sure what area they chose, or if was just fictional, but I believe the the US map is somewhere in Montana. If Giant's would have ever been to Montana, most of the farms (especially the fields) are huge, they don't call it big sky country for nothing. I stood at the edge of huge field in Montana, crop as far as I could see. Why they decided on Montana as there representation for the US map does not make a lot of sense. I''m not going to state the real reason for Giant staying with 2X maps, because the last time I took the trouble to talk about game design, rendering, clip and draw distances etc., my post was up for about 15 minutes, and then removed, probably because I hit the nail right on head.
AMD Ryzen 9 7900X3D
Win 11 Pro 64bit
HC1Gunner

Post by HC1Gunner »

fenixguy wrote: Thu Jul 26, 2018 10:50 pm I'm starting to think from the responses it has a little bit to do with hardware and some to do with not enough demand for bigger maps. I've yet to run out of room on a standard size map. As far as running out of ideas, it's a farming game. Fields, woods, roads, sell points, town, animal areas, biogas plant, a few houses here and there... what else do we need? :hmm:
No room to grow your farm any larger once you own all your fields, and your right hardware is a big part of it, but not from the PC side.
AMD Ryzen 9 7900X3D
Win 11 Pro 64bit
Goose66

Post by Goose66 »

Peter Griffin wrote: Mon Jul 23, 2018 3:55 pm He's on pc so I don't understand the problem. It's not like you can't download 4x or bigger maps
Agreed. Can’t see why this has been brought up. PC has a ton of 4x maps available. And in my opinion, Giants don’t make the best maps in the world. Just wait until the modders start making 4x for 19.
Playing on PC....Hollandscheveld maizeplus map
Suffolk, England
Discord ...Goose66
BigC92

Post by BigC92 »

How can you be dirt poor if your a veteran? My grandpa was in the services and he gets by easily, i figured veteran get alot of money for putting their lives on the line, thanks for your service.
fenixguy

Post by fenixguy »

^^Unfortunately they do not. It's a shame.^^
FS22 is the best one yet. Fight me!
Thefisherj

Post by Thefisherj »

I find standard maps are better, as specially frontier design modding teams maps as you can play them so many ways and see different things each time you play, but I aggree with the for performance reasons wanting to stay 2km x 2km maps, plus how many of us play the base game maps?
Earnest Pea

Post by Earnest Pea »

muzickmage wrote: Thu Jul 26, 2018 10:11 pm A few sell places, a town-like area, and fields/animals tossed all over the place to fill the holes.
As someone who lives in a rural, major farming area, I'd say it looks a lot like where I live.
muzickmage wrote: Thu Jul 26, 2018 10:11 pm Seriously. How old of a computer do you have if you can't run a Giants' map? lol.
My previous machine was 11 years old and would not run FS17, so I played on console. Recently, I was able to replace my machine, and I'm now happily back to playing on PC. As I said before, not everyone owns high end gaming hardware.
KnowhutImean?
PC|XB1
Earnest Pea

Post by Earnest Pea »

HC1Gunner wrote: Thu Jul 26, 2018 10:56 pm I'm not sure what area they chose, or if was just fictional, but I believe the the US map is somewhere in Montana.
I believe GCV was based on Oregon.
KnowhutImean?
PC|XB1
HC1Gunner

Post by HC1Gunner »

Drmattymd wrote: Fri Jul 27, 2018 1:11 pm Im actually surprised nobody has mentioned this yet but to my knowledge they haven't been able to get 4x maps to work on console yet, there's an error that results that nobody has found a solution for. And I understand Giants wanting to keep the base games the same across all platforms
And there is lies a good part of the truth, but as I stated before, there are a lot of games out that offer PC larger maps, and they devs have no problem offering them up. For some reason this really bothers Giant's mindset. To me its simple if you prefer to game on a console fine, but if you play on a PC and are able to run larger maps, or host more players on a server, if you want the later, then you game on a PC. I not going to make large list, but the last title I played has been that way for its entire life, and that Swedish company called DICE has no problem offering PC's larger venues. To me its only fair seeming that almost ever game out there is designed only for the console and its OS, and then its port over tot he PC, and from the port you almost always less features, NO true PC peripheral support, have more bugs, and inefficient game play as the game struggles to run smoothly.
AMD Ryzen 9 7900X3D
Win 11 Pro 64bit