Why would I want to use Course Play?

W1der

Why would I want to use Course Play?

Post by W1der »

I never tried "CP" ... I have seen clips on you tube though, so I sort of know what it does.

But could you please explain to me why someone that likes this game would want a mod that does "everything" for you?
What is left for the player to do when everything is "set up" ... or is it the "set up process" that makes you like this mod?

I am debating with myself if I should try the mod or not ... :hmm:
If you use it ... why do you like it?

Main question and the reason why I put it in "general discussion" ... Does it turn the game in to a different kind of game? ... :this:
[Win11] Intel Core i9-13900F Tray 5.6GHz / MSI RTX4090 24GB GDDR6 / 2x16GB 5600MHz DDR5
BreadedVirus

Re: Why would I want to use Course Play?

Post by BreadedVirus »

It can be very tedious at times. I stopped using it and started playing the game....
the big print giveth the small print taketh
W1der

Post by W1der »

Are U playing the game with Keyboard and mouse or do you have any type of controller?

I have tried playing the game with Keyboard and mouse and it is a pain really.
I could imagine that players using Keyboard and mouse would like to avoid doing basically everything in the game ... and therefore likes the CP mod ... !? :chinese:
[Win11] Intel Core i9-13900F Tray 5.6GHz / MSI RTX4090 24GB GDDR6 / 2x16GB 5600MHz DDR5
Mobias

Post by Mobias »

Course play is amazing. Together with seasons its possibly the best and most game changing mod anyone has made for FS, that I've used anyway. It can be fiddly to set up though and you do have to keep an eye on it as it does have a mind of its own sometimes. Its at its best on big wide open farms I think. I'm using it on Lone Oak at the moment.

I guess one criticism of it from a gameplay point of view is that if you come reliant on it then you end up not actually playing the game as much in terms of driving vehicles. You just set courseplay up and away it goes and does its thing. The whole thing becomes more of a farm management sim.

I find course play is at its most useful at harvest time. You can drive the combine harvester and the tractor will come and collect grain and dump it off for you. Its a shame Giants can't program that into the base game for console as its incredibly useful.

Follow me is another great mod.
Dandan 89

Post by Dandan 89 »

This is definitely one of the most helpful mods I ever downloaded, say like if you are tied up baling straw swath ect and you need to go sell some corn for great demand then this is when I used this mod as it would go back and forth delivering my fruits while I managed my fields. It also worked really well for silage in the bunkers with loader as you could set it up to keep adding silage to the selling point when your busy mowing grass to fill the next bunker. :biggrin2: there is so many options you could do with coarse play which help you out on busy periods on your farm just don’t get lazy and let it do it all because the game would become boring very quickly haha :lol:
1992Tadej1992

Post by 1992Tadej1992 »

W1der wrote: Sun Jul 22, 2018 11:16 am Are U playing the game with Keyboard and mouse or do you have any type of controller?

I have tried playing the game with Keyboard and mouse and it is a pain really.
I could imagine that players using Keyboard and mouse would like to avoid doing basically everything in the game ... and therefore likes the CP mod ... !? :chinese:
Nah man, just use it this mod:

https://www.farming-simulator.com/mod.p ... tle=fs2017
Dandan 89

Post by Dandan 89 »

*thumbsup*
Case1370

Post by Case1370 »

W1der wrote: Sun Jul 22, 2018 10:35 am I never tried "CP" ... I have seen clips on you tube though, so I sort of know what it does.

But could you please explain to me why someone that likes this game would want a mod that does "everything" for you?
What is left for the player to do when everything is "set up" ... or is it the "set up process" that makes you like this mod?

I am debating with myself if I should try the mod or not ... :hmm:
If you use it ... why do you like it?

Main question and the reason why I put it in "general discussion" ... Does it turn the game in to a different kind of game? ... :this:

Its basically a smarter version of hired help, which is why I use it instead of just generic hired help that Giants has. Its up to you whether you want the AI to do all the work for you, or not, so I dont understand your thoughts, on it doing everything for you.
Dogface

Post by Dogface »

CoursePlay is a game changing mod. It doubled the life of FS17 for me.

The first use of CP is moving equipment. If all my harvest equipment is in the south field and the north field ripens, I have CP drive everything up north.

The second use is harvest management. I have a huge field of corn which I chop for silage. I have one forage harvester running, two semis which collect silage and dump it in the bunker, and a tractor leveling the bunker, all running at the same time. I jump in if a CP worker gets confused. This management option changes the game, I enjoy setting it up and watching it run. And this is how an operation like that would actually run, not one person going back and forth between equipment. I have a similar set-up for baling grass and one for slurrying fields (CP does the refill trip).
Last edited by Dogface on Sun Jul 22, 2018 5:35 pm, edited 2 times in total.
parad0x177

Post by parad0x177 »

Dogface wrote: Sun Jul 22, 2018 4:03 pm CoursePlay is a game changing mod. It doubled the life of FS17 for me.

The first use of CP is moving equipment. If all my harvest equipment is in the south field and the north field ripens, I have CP drive everything up north.

The second use is harvest management. I have a huge field of corn which I chop for silage. I have one forage harvester, two semis and a tractor leveling the bunker, all running at the same time. I jump in if an AI worker gets confused. This management option changes the game, I enjoy it, you may not. I have a similar set-up for baling grass.
This is a pretty good synopsis of my use. In my mind, it doesn’t keep me from playing the game. Instead, it lets me do the jobs I want to, without having to do the “move equipment from a to b” jobs while the built-in helper does the fun stuff.

It’s also a must-have if you want to perform larger, more complex operations, but not multiplayer. Forest harvesters, for instance, just don’t work “right” with built-in helper.

Admittedly, it can be a pain to set up in some cases. But, in most cases, once you have courses saved for the map you are working, it’s fairly reliable.
Dandan 89

Post by Dandan 89 »

parad0x177 wrote: Sun Jul 22, 2018 4:46 pm
Dogface wrote: Sun Jul 22, 2018 4:03 pm CoursePlay is a game changing mod. It doubled the life of FS17 for me.

The second use is harvest management. I have a huge field of corn which I chop for silage. I have one forage harvester, two semis and a tractor leveling the bunker, all running at the same time. I jump in if an AI worker gets confused. This management option changes the game, I enjoy it, you may not. I have a similar set-up for baling grass.
This is a pretty good synopsis of my use. In my mind, it doesn’t keep me from playing the game. Instead, it lets me do the jobs I want to, without having to do the “move equipment from a to b” jobs while the built-in helper does the fun stuff.

It’s also a must-have if you want to perform larger, more complex operations, but not multiplayer. Forest harvesters, for instance, just don’t work “right” with built-in helper.

Admittedly, it can be a pain to set up in some cases. But, in most cases, once you have courses saved for the map you are working, it’s fairly reliable.
Yeah you have to do the routes yourself first and make sure they record them correctly and once they are saved it saves a lot of hassle having to rush other jobs when the coarsplay can take over doing it while you tend to something else like feeding your sheep/cows/pigs etc
Garion

Post by Garion »

I personally love CP. You can set up CP to do as much or a little as you want. It doesn't have to play the game for you just use it for what you want it to do. You like running the combine? Have CP run the auger wagon and off load into the semi who takes it to the silo or sell point for you. Or you can run the run the auger wagon while CP combines or you can run the semi. Or you can have CP do it all while you are taking care of something else. You can do whatever you want with the program, its just another tool you can use to help.
Farming on PC *thumbsup* and PS4 :biggrin2:
fenixguy

Post by fenixguy »

I never used it in my PC days because I didn't want to bother setting it up but I could see why it would be awesome. I wouldn't want to play "farm manager" really, but would love a worker to drive an auger wagon or a semi sometimes.

The most useful "helper mods" I ever used were auto combine and follow me.
FS22 is the best one yet. Fight me!
Procobator

Post by Procobator »

CP comes in handy when your farm gets large and you need more hired help functionality than what the base game hired help can offer. I currently farm around 1000 acres on a 16x map using the seasons mod. I wouldn't be able to complete in time without the use of CP.
fenixguy

Post by fenixguy »

^^That sounds awful^^ :lol:

FS22 is the best one yet. Fight me!