Seasons Montana & soybeans

DirectCedar

Re: Seasons Montana & soybeans

Post by DirectCedar »

ThatCanadianGuy wrote: Mon Jul 30, 2018 6:15 pm I would call it closer to real life than restrictive, some crops are a higher risk, or impossible, in some areas than others. In real life it isn't so much a pass/ fail, it would be delayed germination and a reduced yield but real farming you can never count on anything until the grain is in the bin.
There are always crop failures for one reason or another be it weather, bugs, weeds,... At some point in FS I would like to see fungicide, herbicide and insecticide added as spraying options as well as the current fertilizer. If you don't spray there is a chance of a reduced crop. Things you do like planting the same crop multiple consecutive years would increase the chance of disease. Bug and weed infestations happen from time to time causing negative impacts to your yield, to many negatives you're at zero and plow it under.
Just try to add an element to the game to get away from the fact that if you plant x acres of crop you know you are going to make x amount of money.
I agree completely. There is no real management to the current system. Weather, weeds, pests, disease, crop rotation, cultural practices, all have no impact on the crop in-game whereas in reality these factors make or break the crop. Make them all optional toggles like fertility and ploughing and you could have a very deep optional management system without necessarily impacting the base game at all if you just wanted the simple version.
ThatCanadianGuy

Post by ThatCanadianGuy »

at the same time if you wanted to you could have an organic option also. If you don't use any chemical or fert other than manure for a couple years the field is cert organic, lower yields and tillage has more impact but prices are higher.
Former real life farmer of lentils, mustard, and wheat on the Canadian prairies.
Addictedtofs

Post by Addictedtofs »

ThatCanadianGuy wrote: Mon Jul 30, 2018 6:15 pm I would call it closer to real life than restrictive, some crops are a higher risk, or impossible, in some areas than others. In real life it isn't so much a pass/ fail, it would be delayed germination and a reduced yield but real farming you can never count on anything until the grain is in the bin.
There are always crop failures for one reason or another be it weather, bugs, weeds,... At some point in FS I would like to see fungicide, herbicide and insecticide added as spraying options as well as the current fertilizer. If you don't spray there is a chance of a reduced crop. Things you do like planting the same crop multiple consecutive years would increase the chance of disease. Bug and weed infestations happen from time to time causing negative impacts to your yield, to many negatives you're at zero and plow it under.
Just try to add an element to the game to get away from the fact that if you plant x acres of crop you know you are going to make x amount of money.
Yes. But this isn’t crop failure based on those variables you mentioned. It is purely due to temperature. If a region was as inhospitable to farming as it is in some of these geos, no industrial agriculture would exist there.
Fear of the fool is the beginning of wisdom--The Book of Dawn and Dusk

Dragonborn, huh? Was it your ma or your pa that was the dragon?” --Hadvar

Commander set a course. There's coffee in that nebula.--Admiral Catherine Janeway