A FS 19 question about weeds

fenixguy

Re: A FS 19 question about weeds

Post by fenixguy »

It was confirmed that you could use a weeder or harrow (I'm hoping we get row crop cultivators) to remove weeds at an early growth state. If you wait longer, you'll have to spray.

I've not read anything about dealing with pests.
FS22 is the best one yet. Fight me!
Farmer Foley

Post by Farmer Foley »

ahh..i just checked..birds will or might follow plowing but not eat seeds and animals but not sure if they destroy crops. unless someone knows better please.?
You keep a Troshin :hi:
faruk9154

Post by faruk9154 »

fenixguy wrote: Tue Aug 07, 2018 1:46 pm It was confirmed that you could use a weeder or harrow (I'm hoping we get row crop cultivators) to remove weeds at an early growth state. If you wait longer, you'll have to spray.

I've not read anything about dealing with pests.
Sensible.
:hi: :!: Simulation of the King :!: :hi:
lca1443

Post by lca1443 »

this_is_gav wrote: Tue Aug 07, 2018 12:33 pm Personally I can't say I've ever seen a weeder around here. Everything is just fertilised and sprayed as far as I know, so I've never used one of the weeders in game. I'm sure they're necessary on organic farms though in particular. It would be quite cool if organic farming came to the game at some stage - more work but more monetary reward.

So long as it's easy to see what's been sprayed or not in-game (it's not always easy when the crops are tall in FS17) then I'll probably just stick with that.
I think adding an organic option (can't be called organic for several seasons) could add some depth to the economy. Great demands requiring it would be cool.
DirectCedar

Post by DirectCedar »

this_is_gav wrote: Tue Aug 07, 2018 12:40 pm
faruk9154 wrote: Tue Aug 07, 2018 12:37 pm Then why is the weeds feature coming?
Immersion? To give you another job?

Remember the weeders were in FS17 too, but just contributed to one of the fertilisation stages. It could be the same in FS19, but with the introduction of visible weeds rather than imaginary ones. Hopefully not, but we'll just have to wait and see.
Hi Gav

Either Lis stated somewhere, or it was in one of the early promotional releases (sorry I can't recall which and I am not looking up a link), that weeds are now their own separate characteristic from fertilization, and that weeders and sprayers will now have their own unique traits for dealing with weeds. Weeders will now act as real-life weeders and not just impact a fertilization level. As has been mentioned in this thread already, it has also been stated in a similar medium that weeders will only work at early growth stage, and sprayers will work to control weeds at later growth stages.

It has the potential to be a fun and immersive system and make some machinery choices much more meaningful. I completely agree with the wide-spread observation that sprayers have no actual use in FS17 apart from looking cool. Additionally the fact that there are no weeds in FS17 is quite silly from a realism perspective, since in real cropping, weeds are in some cases the single biggest challenge and expense faced by farmers.

Now we just have to wait for 2025 when they introduce systems for moisture, crop rotation, disease, and pests, and then we can really manage a farm.
DirectCedar

Post by DirectCedar »

And maybe 2029 to get soil conditions and realistic multi-stage tillage.
this_is_gav

Post by this_is_gav »

DirectCedar wrote: Tue Aug 07, 2018 5:15 pmEither Lis stated somewhere, or it was in one of the early promotional releases (sorry I can't recall which and I am not looking up a link), that weeds are now their own separate characteristic from fertilization, and that weeders and sprayers will now have their own unique traits for dealing with weeds. Weeders will now act as real-life weeders and not just impact a fertilization level. As has been mentioned in this thread already, it has also been stated in a similar medium that weeders will only work at early growth stage, and sprayers will work to control weeds at later growth stages.
Ah thanks, I must have missed that one. Good to hear.
fenixguy

Post by fenixguy »

DirectCedar wrote: Tue Aug 07, 2018 5:15 pm Now we just have to wait for 2025 when they introduce systems for moisture, crop rotation, disease, and pests, and then we can really manage a farm.
Soil compaction has also been confirmed as of yesterday (8/6) related to crop rotation and plowing. *thumbsup*

https://www.yesmods.com/farming-simulat ... -features/
cmdrbyron

Post by cmdrbyron »

Weeding missions are now their own category, rather than purely a part of the fertilization process, including using the new sprayer tool on more developed weeds.
This was in the latest Dev Blog, regarding the new mission system. Should partially answer many of the questions being posed here, while spiraling off others :)
DirectCedar

Post by DirectCedar »

fenixguy wrote: Tue Aug 07, 2018 5:59 pm
DirectCedar wrote: Tue Aug 07, 2018 5:15 pm Now we just have to wait for 2025 when they introduce systems for moisture, crop rotation, disease, and pests, and then we can really manage a farm.
Soil compaction has also been confirmed as of yesterday (8/6) related to crop rotation and plowing. *thumbsup*

That is very cool and on the right track. Three or four more variable conditions and they will have a pretty reasonable simulation of actual soil :biggrin2:
FarmingRemasterd

Post by FarmingRemasterd »

fenixguy wrote: Tue Aug 07, 2018 5:59 pm

HUH? never heard that....where did u find this?
Massey Ferguson For Life. If it ain't red, leave it in the shed.
Rules for yall...viewtopic.php?f=893&t=74799
Manure is for the fields...not the forum.
fenixguy

Post by fenixguy »

Lisertan confirmed a while back that that site's information is legit. That's all I have to go on. I just saw the blurb about soil compaction and plowing today. Not sure how it will work of course, but its something.
this_is_gav

Post by this_is_gav »

fenixguy wrote: Wed Aug 08, 2018 2:19 am Lisertan confirmed a while back that that site's information is legit. That's all I have to go on. I just saw the blurb about soil compaction and plowing today. Not sure how it will work of course, but its something.
Lars confirmed what was on that list after Farmcon, yes, but it's a constantly evolving list. I've not seen that on Discord myself so no idea where it came from.
Geneborg

Post by Geneborg »

I can confirm that during Farmcon a comment was made about different crops influencing how often you will have to plow the soil.

In FS17 you had to do it every 3 crop rounds, right? I guess they will change that according to the crop you plant, it would be the easiest solution.
LS nur mit Mods
Qualität statt Quantität
Coldlandlord

Post by Coldlandlord »

This all sounds great and thanks to the person that posted the yesmods link, that's the best collection of info I've seen so far. Love the fact that giants have addressed pretty much everything that anoys the hell out of me on fs17. I prob won't use the weeders as I don't know any farmers that use them so I'll stick to spraying. It's awesome that they actually function realistically and not just give you a fert stage.

I'm quite surprised that GPS is being left out as pretty much everything has GPS in real life now. Hopefully a GPS and Courseplay mod comes very soon after release.

My last ask from this game will be a significant improvement on root crops, potatoes in particular! This is a dreadful feature in previous versions and it really shouldn't have been bothered with if they weren't going to implement it properly in my opinion. I really hope we see the need to create a seed bed before planting and I really hope that the ridges follow the direction of the planter.