Let's ask the hard questions about FS19

j_maybury

Re: Let's ask the hard questions about FS19

Post by j_maybury »

Smith Modding wrote: Wed Aug 15, 2018 11:57 pm When was the frame rate ever bad? In either game? Even on a PC that didn't meet minimum specifications, I got a decent 30FPS or so on a vanilla game in FS15, and FS17 runs really well on my new PC(s). I get a steady 60FPS which is good to me, are you expecting like 120FPS or something?
You said your self that that frame rates drop off when looking at 5 to 10 vehicles, just think what that's going to be like when every building wall and fence is going to be a mod. everything is going to be an add-on. I can envision the game freezing up altogether.
j_maybury

Post by j_maybury »

Earnest Pea wrote: Actually, what he's running is quite relevant as I believe he's doing his darnest to stress the system by have the program perform in ways that it wasn't intended too. I'm sure I could max out my machine as well if push it hard enough (what he appears to be doing).

As for threads, here's a short clip from my log.txt (the relevant part is in bold):

Device: Generic Software
Render System
Driver: Direct 3D 11
Card Vendor: AMD/ATI
Renderer: AMD Radeon (TM) RX 580
Version: 24.20.11021.1000 (7.6.2018)
Revision: 199
Feature level: DirectX 11 ON
Info: Effective window resolution 3840 x 2160
Started 6 threads for threadpool 'Render threadpool'
Hardware Profile
Level: High (forced)
That's the whole point, he is maxing out the CPU usage, we're not talking about what the GPU puts out, we're talking about the CPU.!!!!
j_maybury

Post by j_maybury »

Earnest Pea wrote: These questions don't need to be asked. I doubt that you asking these questions is going to radically affect the course of this game. The developers will (as always) put their best effort forward. They do this because they take pride in their creation not to mention a financial interest in seeing it succeed. They have stated numerous times that they don't talk about features until those features work to their satisfaction. Based on that, and experience with previous releases, I'm fairly certain 19 is something to look forward too. If you don't agree, you, as always, are free to take a pass on this one. I, on the other hand, have already preordered.
Spoken like a true fanboy, now run along little fanboy!
GothicKing13

Post by GothicKing13 »

TacoFarmer wrote: Wed Aug 15, 2018 9:00 pm Will character customization include an I Love Tacos hat?
Ooh, I hope so! I need one of those IRL, too!
GOTHICKING13 With every deed, you are sowing a seed. Though the harvest, you may not see.
Earnest Pea

Post by Earnest Pea »

j_maybury wrote: Thu Aug 16, 2018 12:51 am That's the whole point, he is maxing out the CPU usage, we're not talking about what the GPU puts out, we're talking about the CPU.!!!!
Maybe he's running something in the background. CPU is a minor issue in a game like this, the real work goes on in the GPU.
KnowhutImean?
PC|XB1
Earnest Pea

Post by Earnest Pea »

j_maybury wrote: Thu Aug 16, 2018 1:04 am Spoken like a true fanboy, now run along little fanboy!
I'm proudly a fanboy since FS13. I likely will be for 19 as well. I'm willing to reserve final judgement until I'm playing it. You seem to feel that the developers have messed up. If so, why are you still here? I don't believe that they're waiting around for you to approve their plans. Nothing you or I say or complain about will have a drastic affect on the development. They know their jobs pretty well and I know their jobs better than most (I spent roughly 20 years as a programmer / systems analyst).

Now, I'm going to go back to some Lone Oak. Nice chatting. Have a good day... do some farming.
KnowhutImean?
PC|XB1
parad0x177

Post by parad0x177 »

j_maybury wrote: Wed Aug 15, 2018 6:30 pm 1- How badly pixelated is the background going to be? the first shots look really bad!
2 - Is FS19 really only going to have one CPU core = two threads?.........REALLY!!!
3 - How is the Frame Rate going to hold up once all the new mod start pouring in with all the extra farm building and peripherals there is going to be mods for?
4 - Will, there ever be a time when we will see decent Traffic AI on the roads?
5 - The shading is looking very bad on moving vehicles, will this get fixed in time for the launch?
Is there any chance of getting a satisfying answer to any of these Questions?
1. It depends on how much they want to force their customers to spend on hardware. (Also, it’s still in development!)
2. Don’t know, though I expect it will utilize at least as many as it needs. But, considering that some of your questions seem to be attempts to elicit information regarding game engine optimization, isn’t it odd to worry about the number of threads, since requiring more threads for a given computational load implies less optimization?
3. It depends on how much time modders spend creating mods that look good and work well without being resource hogs. Also, it depends on how much one wants to spend on hardware.
4. That depends on your definition of “decent”, but considering that we haven’t actually mastered driving as a species (IMHO), the chances may be slim. But, really, given a choice, I’d rather them make a great farming simulator with irritating virtual traffic (that I can turn off) rather than a great traffic simulator with terrible virtual farming.
5. I’d point out that everything we’ve seen to date is developmental in nature, but I’m assuming that is obvious. That said, I think the only way to answer such a subjective question is to find a way to quantize your expectations. Short of that, I think you will have to tell us when it gets here.

As with five above, I expect you will be the only one who can determine your satisfaction with any answers provided.

All that said, though, I wouldn’t consider any of those questions the “hard questions”.

I’ve played simulator games since everything was nothing more than jagged wireframes objects, in monochrome, at 640x480. I spent hours playing those and still remember loving it. On the other hand, I’ve played some genuinely beautiful games that I stopped playing in no time because they weren’t fun. So, for me the only hard questions are:

1. Is it going to be good enough overall that I enjoy playing it so much that any “warts” just don’t matter in the long run?
2. Can I enjoy playing it on a machine that I can justify buying?

Beyond that, it’s just academic debate in my book. But, by all means, if all this stuff matters that much to you, I would suggest that you simply wait until it is out, read some reviews, watch some videos, and THEN decide if it is worth your money.
BigC92

Post by BigC92 »

Im not asking "hard questions" or any questions for that matter about Fs19, because most likely, they dont know the answers to questions i have, some people try to get blood from a turnup, it dont work, if i dont understand something, ill ask.
redglasses

Post by redglasses »

The dev will do the best they can for this next title. If they do the best they can that means they can’t do any better. If their best doesn’t meet your standards then go find a new game, bud.
Playing Lincoln Creek on PC
Upload your screenshots here: IMG server
My Discord
Remember there is no need to spread your manure around the forums :wink3:
Jack of all trades, master of the skid steer
j_maybury

Post by j_maybury »

redglasses wrote: Thu Aug 16, 2018 6:48 am The dev will do the best they can for this next title. If they do the best they can that means they can’t do any better. If their best doesn’t meet your standards then go find a new game, bud.
I an only asking these questions because it seems no one ells is willing to ask them. As for doing the best they can, would it have killed them to have added multi-ground texturing so that the furrows travel in the same line as the plow???
Someone has to play devil's advocate, so it might as well be me, so boo and hiss all you like!
redglasses

Post by redglasses »

You know you don’t have to quote if the post is right above, right?
Playing Lincoln Creek on PC
Upload your screenshots here: IMG server
My Discord
Remember there is no need to spread your manure around the forums :wink3:
Jack of all trades, master of the skid steer
cmdrbyron

Post by cmdrbyron »

@ OP - have you considered that maybe these questions are not being asked writ-large for a reason? Many replies have offered rationalizations, some have sought clarification (in an effort to support you).

would it have killed them to have added multi-ground texturing so that the furrows travel in the same line as the plow???
I do not think you truly understand the nature of your questions, let alone the rationale behind any answers that have been or may be offered. Sometimes compromises need to be made, and this is likely one of them. It was already a leap from 1 or 2 directional textures, to the 8 we have now (every 45 degrees, albeit implemented by using 4 directions and mirroring them). Have you considered the implications of increasing that further, and then extending it across a large number of 1m x 1m cells (the current ground texture mapping resolution)? I do have a sneaking suspicion that you also consider that to be "too large" in resolution, and would like it to be at the sub-millimetric level (pardon my exaggeration).

You may claim to be serving as "devil's advocate", under the pretenses that no one is "willing" to "ask the hard questions", but with every post, it seems like you are less interested in objective conversation, and increasingly desperate to be acknowledged as the "saviour" of the franchise...
DirectCedar

Post by DirectCedar »

Fieldwork textures are already multi-directional on all graphics settings above Low on PC. I take it the console version does not support this?
fenixguy

Post by fenixguy »

Yes, consoles have multi-directional field textures.
FS22 is the best one yet. Fight me!
j_maybury

Post by j_maybury »

cmdrbyron wrote: Thu Aug 16, 2018 7:10 pm @ OP - have you considered that maybe these questions are not being asked writ-large for a reason? Many replies have offered rationalizations, some have sought clarification (in an effort to support you).

would it have killed them to have added multi-ground texturing so that the furrows travel in the same line as the plow???
I do not think you truly understand the nature of your questions, let alone the rationale behind any answers that have been or may be offered. Sometimes compromises need to be made, and this is likely one of them. It was already a leap from 1 or 2 directional textures, to the 8 we have now (every 45 degrees, albeit implemented by using 4 directions and mirroring them). Have you considered the implications of increasing that further, and then extending it across a large number of 1m x 1m cells (the current ground texture mapping resolution)? I do have a sneaking suspicion that you also consider that to be "too large" in resolution, and would like it to be at the sub-millimetric level (pardon my exaggeration).

You may claim to be serving as "devil's advocate", under the pretenses that no one is "willing" to "ask the hard questions", but with every post, it seems like you are less interested in objective conversation, and increasingly desperate to be acknowledged as the "saviour" of the franchise...
So you think this is some sort of crusade that I am on, to win some brownie points, do you? Like your good self, I have also played the old vector graphic games in my youth and got a great amount of fun in doing so, and that's because the games, even though they were vector graphics, they were extremely immersive, All I want out of this is a good game to play, that keeps the immersion alive, but furrows that go off in a different direction to the plow kill that immersion stone dead. And as for this to be an impossible task, ask Bullet Bill how he can manage to do it on all of his maps he makes! It does not seem that impossible for him.