terrain physics in FS 19 ? Mud ?

Beastofwar

terrain physics in FS 19 ? Mud ?

Post by Beastofwar »

The whole point of tractors and other farming vehicles having big wheels and big tires is they need to be able to have traction in soft soil and spread wheel pressure over a larger area as not to sink too deep. Yet in FS up to now it makes no difference what you use if it has enough power to pull. Weather really doenst do anything either. No soft muddy fields after raining and so on.

I think it would be essential FS will have terrain physics that changes with weather. What is the point of all these specialized and expensive machines without it ? You could just pull everything with a ordinary truck if it has a 3 point hitch....in this game that is.

I read about new clouds, sun and moon, dogs, horses and such.....that is not important to me. Terrain physics and mud, that is important. Actual struggeling traction in some situations that makes the options you have with tractor tires makes sense.

Why dont i read any features that point in this direction ? Is the game engine incapable of doing this ?
Intel i5 3570K 3.40 GHZ (Quad Core)
8 GB Memory DDR3
R9 280 GFX card 3GB DDR5
1x 64GB SDD 1x 128 GB SDD 1x 1TB HDD
Win 10 Professional 64 bit
fenixguy

Re: terrain physics in FS 19 ? Mud ?

Post by fenixguy »

They've confirmed terrain physics would not be included but they are working on it. Probably FS21 if I had to guess.

I agree it is aggravating. There's no point in wheel/tire/track options other than crop destruction and looks. So I just use the old imagination and use what seems best to me.

Everyone has different things that are important to them. The reality is, the green tractor on the cover will sell more copies than deformable terrain would. Seasons are important to me but they've also confirmed that will not be included. So I'll be playing a lot of RDR2 this November.
FS22 is the best one yet. Fight me!
cmdrbyron

Post by cmdrbyron »

I think you are over-exagerating the nature of the issue here. Hitch up the 10.5m plow that came with the Big Bud DLC (even comes with an attachment for vehicles that do not have a 3pt hitch) to a truck and go plow a field.

Sure, the terrain isn't fully deformable, and may not be directly impacted by tires - but consider the indirect ways they have addressed this, through the use of HP requirements.

Personally? I think the implementation of fully deformable/interactable terrain, with high-fidelity entity interaction modelling (which is what you are asking for) may cause more grief than it is worth, potentially significantly so with the casual elements of the wider-gameplay audience.

Think of the processing load too, because you would have to extend the interaction with terrain to much more than just the wheels. You would have to apply it to the structure of any object that interacts with the terrain. Unless you are "only" asking for this to be applied to a vehicle's tires, and not the structure (hang up on the underbody?) or implements. We already know that FS17 employs 1m x 1m terrain resolution cells, so you are now talking about managing several different interactions per object (such as representing the front of the tractor entering a muddy field, while the back end is on the road/grass).

That being said, I believe Giants have announced (indirectly through another site - allegedly confirmed correct by Giants though) that tire choices will have a more significant impact on gameplay, I think soil compaction was mentioned. So maybe it is headed in a direction that will satisfy most elements of the gameplay community (acknowledging that you will never make everyone happy).
Last edited by cmdrbyron on Thu Aug 23, 2018 4:48 pm, edited 1 time in total.
DirectCedar

Post by DirectCedar »

I take it you all above are mostly playing on console?

On PC if you run MoreRealistic, Gearbox, Seasons, and Ground Response (or even the modded more pronounced Ground Response) you get about 80% of the way to the realistic ground interaction you are describing. It really is a different game in that regard. Ploughing in furrow even looks like ploughing in furrow, because the wheel in the furrow sinks into the soft ploughed texture and the tractor rides at an angle, just like in real life. And after a rain you can sink and get stuck in the mud with any vehicle. If your tractor spins too much on stubble it sinks and leaves a ploughed texture in the ruts. The overall combination of these mods is quite remarkably fun.
fenixguy

Post by fenixguy »

The OP is not on console. Plowing in the furrow is included with Giants' ground response 4real module. That all sounds like fun to me.
Gimli54

Post by Gimli54 »

It’s honestly better to not have dynamic ground at the moment as more optimization probably needs to be done for the engine of consoles (im a console player) to be able to handle the extra layering so 21 sounds the best for getting it I’m hopefully though that when they add it they’ll add rice as rice farming becomes much easier when you can precision level the field
redglasses

Post by redglasses »

It would be cool, but only if implemented properly. If they rush it, it won’t be good. So fs21 sounds good to me.
Playing Lincoln Creek on PC
Upload your screenshots here: IMG server
My Discord
Remember there is no need to spread your manure around the forums :wink3:
Jack of all trades, master of the skid steer
GothicKing13

Post by GothicKing13 »

If they do decide to add it, I hope they take all the time they need to properly work with it. I've a few farming games that have ground deformation... it looks hideous. I normally go into the options menu and disable that feature... :sadnew:
GOTHICKING13 With every deed, you are sowing a seed. Though the harvest, you may not see.
oolykee

Post by oolykee »

Exactly,

FS21 is fine with me as well.

Well this is my timeline at least how I see it.

3 months to go
FS19 out
Few weeks after first mods are out
A month after first maps are out
Few months after new Frontier Design and Black Sheep Modding maps are out
Mods
Maps
Mods
Maps
November 2020 is here and we are awaiting for FS21

A blink of an eye and we have dynamic ground. Chip in few DLC's and we won't have enough time and we will be cursing FS21 that came out so early. :D
Check out our channel:
https://goo.gl/EUTkLW

New video every day.
Here is the newest one:
https://goo.gl/SrBkQ1

Check out our Facebook page:
https://www.facebook.com/Oolykee-Gaming ... 843882487/
redglasses

Post by redglasses »

Last I heard there won’t be any more bsm in fs19
My Discord
Gimli54

Post by Gimli54 »

Where’d you hear that, I’m just asking as this is the first I’ve heard it and that trailer they made is very helpful
fenixguy

Post by fenixguy »

redglasses wrote: Fri Aug 17, 2018 6:45 pm Last I heard there won’t be any more bsm in fs19
If you go to the BSM website, the background is Old Streams with the FS19 logo.

I'm thinking (hoping, wishing, dreaming) that some of the more popular maps are being converted behind the scenes for the release or shortly thereafter.
Beastofwar

Post by Beastofwar »

Well that's a disappointment. Having traction on soft soil/off road is what farming vehicles and their wheel/tire options are all about. I couldn't care less about more realistic sun, moons and clouds, it isn't a flight simulator !

I have seen mud effects on some very few mod maps. I did use the gearbox mod and enjoyed limited 2 wheel traction. Those are things in the right direction, if physics do not allow for more. They make for more interesting gameplay, but it should not be only mods that offer that.
Intel i5 3570K 3.40 GHZ (Quad Core)
8 GB Memory DDR3
R9 280 GFX card 3GB DDR5
1x 64GB SDD 1x 128 GB SDD 1x 1TB HDD
Win 10 Professional 64 bit
fcdrifter13

Post by fcdrifter13 »

redglasses wrote: Fri Aug 17, 2018 6:45 pm Last I heard there won’t be any more bsm in fs19
that was a joke on the discord a few weeks ago.
Survival Start of The Calm Lands. Currently have built homes for our workers, so we actually get workers.
https://www.youtube.com/playlist?list=P ... H-DmlmlDQT
redglasses

Post by redglasses »

Le oof, I guess it spread to my discord as well XD, I didn’t catch on I guess.
My Discord