Question about Discord and Forum

TacoFarmer

Question about Discord and Forum

Post by TacoFarmer »

All I see anymore are posts where people says the GIANTS dudes are always answering on Discord.
Is Discord the place to be to get some official news?
Isnt this the official forums?
Use some professional courtesy for the folks who arent on Discord,if you post something about the game on Discord post on your own official forums too.
The PR around this game has become a joke.
Used to be the place to get info.
Fanboys and negative nancy(you know who you are) need not respond.
Farm On.
PS4
Farm Happy My Friends.
WestBridge Hills-EL Bubbling FartZ Rancho Edition

You cant polish a turd ......but you can paint it GREEN and YELLOW .
BostonJohnny1226

Re: ?

Post by BostonJohnny1226 »

I thought Discord was where all negative posts were.

dis·cord
ˈdiskôrd/Submit
noun
disagreement between people.
"a prosperous family who showed no signs of discord"
synonyms: strife, conflict, friction, hostility, antagonism, antipathy, enmity, bad feeling, ill feeling, bad blood, argument, quarreling, squabbling, bickering, wrangling, feuding, contention, disagreement, dissension, dispute, difference of opinion, disunity, division, opposition; infighting
"stress resulting from family discord"
RODHA

Post by RODHA »

Wow. Taco my friend. You know, this is a forbidden topic. No one can talk or criticise Giants about it :biggrin2:

Seriously though, it is really hard to understand the logic behind this.

Why don’t they give the concern this forum deserves? More importantly, we deserve.

I really pushed myself hard to get used to discord but it is the most non-user friendly platform I have ever encountered. To use it sufficiently, one needs really a lot of free time. Unfortunately I don’t. So, I always use this forum as it is supposed to be the source for official information. But it is way below down at the bottom in that respect.

I just hope this would change with FS19.

Btw, I recommend changing the title. If it wasn’t your topic I wouldn’t even bother clicking on it. So, probably a lot of people did the same so far.
PS5 / FS22
böserlöwe
GIANTS Software | Support Engineer

Post by böserlöwe »

Official News are to Forum, Homepage, Discord, Twitter, Facebook, Twitch and some Platforms more.
But Discusion about FS are faste in Discord than in Forum. Thats the Reason why Discord User are little bit earlier as on other Channels.
Also Facebook are much more User in Discussion as on Forum. Buit in Forum you have the Information from about 10 Years,
in Facebook or Discord Information about 2 Years...
Its your Choice...
RODHA

Re: Question about Discord and Forum

Post by RODHA »

We also see a lot of information (in the form of comments or chit chat) in the german forum which doesn’t even appear in the English.
Whatever the reason, if the official forum has less information than other sources, it means there is something wrong.
Because the easiest way of following up information anytime has always been and will always be the forums or blogs not sources like twitter or discord where information just flys by and you won’t catch it ever if you are not following up constantly.
PS5 / FS22
Derplodactyl

Post by Derplodactyl »

I'm not so sure I agree that Discord is where official info comes from. Sure, there have been comments made on Discord about whatever, but the official news is shared everywhere.

I prefer the discord as it's much more fluid than the forums. If you have a question that requires a fast answer, ie, about Modding, the answer is much faster. Same of you have an issue with the game - you can tag the guys at Giants for assistance, whilst being surrounded by others who can help.

Discord is, as far as I can see, a more fluid version if these forums.
- James G | Derplodactyl (The Jaggler)
- Giants Ambassador 🇬🇧
- PC & Xbox One

PC Specs:
-AsRock B550M Extreme4 Steel Legend
-AMD Ryzen 9 5900X
-EVGA RTX 3080Ti XC3 Ultra
-Corsair 32GB DDR4 @3600MHz
-1TB Samsung 970 Evo Pro M.2 + 256gb NVMe Storage
this_is_gav

Post by this_is_gav »

GIANTS host the forums for our convenience, not necessarily to interact with them. Sure they pop up every now and then and I'm sure they're monitoring it regularly, but it's not for PR as such.

GIANTS use Discord internally to communicate across the different offices and among themselves, it's therefore more convenient to communicate with players in a public channel too.
Law0t019t

Post by Law0t019t »

Discord is ok but like peopel have said unless you keep up to date frequently on there you will miss things where as i find in this forum you can take some time away come back and still find what info you was looking so id agree that the forum is better for infomation but everyones opinions will be different i supoose its just what each individual prefers using i guess...
Lisertan
GIANTS Software | Community Manager

Post by Lisertan »

The simple reason why Discord gets more "talk time" is: It's faster.

Discord does NOT get super secret information the forums don't get, but it gets a lot of chat time. That's just the nature of a chat. I have that one running on my 2nd screen and while I write something, I post a message every now and then (in Discord that is). Most of the time it's not even really game related, but some fun little chat. That's simply impossible in the forums.

There are different platforms for different conversations. The forum gets news posted that are there to stay, discord gets the blah blah chat and sometimes that leads to questions being answered in between sentences.

As Loewe said: We are (almost) everywhere and we try to answer as much as possible, but that's not always that easy with all the things going on. Discord is great for a side activity. However, it's not meant to replace the forums, it's meant to add a way of talking to us.
Lars 'Lisertan' Malcharek
Community Manager

History is on the move, Captain. Those who cannot keep up will be left behind, to watch from a distance. And those who stand in our way will not watch at all."
―Grand Admiral Thrawn to Captain Gilad Pellaeon
RODHA

Post by RODHA »

Lisertan wrote: Mon Sep 24, 2018 1:24 pmHowever, it's not meant to replace the forums, it's meant to add a way of talking to us.
Unfortunately, it pretty much did that.
Since you announced the discord server in here, user activity dropped down like a rock followed by the amount of useful information.

Even the new members just disappear when they figure out the fact that more information is found in discord.

I'm absolutely not implaying anything like "why you use discord".
It is simply not my place.
But I can rightfully say that this forum doesn't get the attention it did before way back when you started at Giants.

And I just hope that would change for the better in the future.
PS5 / FS22
Lisertan
GIANTS Software | Community Manager

Post by Lisertan »

As mean as this might sound: Forums just get less and less important in today's world. Not saying Forums are not important, but even without Discord, most activity is on Facebook/Twitter. People these days love to have a quick conversation on their phone and forums are simply not great for that.

That's true for pretty much every aspect of our life BTW. Most conversations between families are now WhatsApp, no phone calls anymore, Facebook will keep friends in touch ect. It's kinda sad when you think about it.

I try my best to look into the forums every day, but there is not always the time to answer a lot. I'll try to get more forum time. Let's see.
Lars 'Lisertan' Malcharek
Community Manager

History is on the move, Captain. Those who cannot keep up will be left behind, to watch from a distance. And those who stand in our way will not watch at all."
―Grand Admiral Thrawn to Captain Gilad Pellaeon
RODHA

Post by RODHA »

^^ So true...

You know, people at our age have a lot of background with the forums. Once they were the encyclopedia of the web. All the information you need on a specific topic was there. Then came the blogs. Still not that bad but after facebook, twitter and discord all just gone haywire.

Thanks a lot for your word on trying to get more forum time :hi: I hope you would have the chance to do that.
PS5 / FS22
TacoFarmer

Post by TacoFarmer »

I guess we are officially in the old farts club.
PS4
Farm Happy My Friends.
WestBridge Hills-EL Bubbling FartZ Rancho Edition

You cant polish a turd ......but you can paint it GREEN and YELLOW .
Airborne82nd

Post by Airborne82nd »

TacoFarmer wrote: Mon Sep 24, 2018 7:24 pm I guess we are officially in the old farts club.
Hm, yep. Good point I mean the thing of it is, idk if Farm Simulator is a game that reaches out as much to 18 to 25 year olds, as it does to us older folks that still use that prehistoric method of "calling someone". . And generally, i never used Facebook or the social media. And news as of late, probably glad i don't.

That being said, if the company wants to do business that way, i guess it's up to them, but i don't know on a game like this if they want to go that direction.
Guitarman

Post by Guitarman »

That's some really gracious and really well thought out responses, for a relatively sensitive subject. Respect for that Lis .

And yeah, when it comes down to it all of the 'big' official info does always end up here. Thinking about it sometimes in greater depths than facebook etc (I'm thinking dev blogs where we get the ongoing discussion and questions). I think it comes down to the smaller snippets that get said in discord that we're becoming conditioned in this age of information to expect much sooner. And to be fair, being mad about the game a lot of us probably put more weight to ;) . But as you say forums aren't as good for that kind of distribution any more.

A good perspective on an interesting topic.
Optimist: Glass is half full
Pessimist: Glass is half empty

Engineer: The glass is twice the size it needs to be!

PC Specs (upgraded at last!): Acer Orion 3000; i5-8400, 8Gb Ram, GTX 1050ti, Intel Optane 16gb