Please make driver avatar sit more natural in FS19

Skunkworks

Please make driver avatar sit more natural in FS19

Post by Skunkworks »

I am really looking forward to FS19 and what I have seen so far looks amazing however, and I have stated this before but it just gets lost in other threads, but Giants, please adjust the sitting posture as the driver avatars like ok like they are sitting on a broomstick!

Their backs don’t have to be so straight... Please change this for FS19
lefe1

Re: Please make driver avatar sit more natural in FS19

Post by lefe1 »

Really!

redglasses

Post by redglasses »

Its true, they do seem a little messed up, but with the new seats bouncing around hopefully that whole section got a rebuild
Playing Lincoln Creek on PC
Upload your screenshots here: IMG server
My Discord
Remember there is no need to spread your manure around the forums :wink3:
Jack of all trades, master of the skid steer
Skunkworks

Post by Skunkworks »

lefe1 wrote: Thu Oct 04, 2018 9:54 pm Really!

Yes really
parad0x177

Post by parad0x177 »

Yeah...I don’t think that is nearly as easy as you might think it is. They would need to make their modeling of human physiology and anatomy a lot more detailed. Then, they would have to make the mechanics of the avatar’s interaction with the cab and controls more detailed (or it would still look unnatural in all but one position). Then they wou have to refine the positioning and motion for ever cab in the game.

Basically, it would take a lot more work and probably a notable amount of clock cycles to make a meaningful improvement. And, frankly, if they are going to use up more resources to make something more detailed, I’m still inclined to ask for more detailed machines. (This isn’t The Sims Go Farming, afterall!)

But, hey, if that’s the biggest gripe you have, Giants must be doing pretty well, right? :wink3:
BostonJohnny1226

Post by BostonJohnny1226 »

“But, hey, if that’s the biggest gripe you have, Giants must be doing pretty well, right? “

You got that right!
I had a glitch with a modded tractor in FS15 that made the arm holding the steering wheel protrude out of the cab about 6 feet
W1der

Post by W1der »

My concern is about all these extra details that players want to see in the game that needs to be handled by the GPU.

There is only so much a GPU can handle before you get frame drops ... and all these "details" needs to be balanced with other features.
Adding more detail/features to the avatar could mean that the settings for lighting, sound, viewing distance, tire markings/trails, crop density etc needs to be lowered ...

What I fear, being used to play fs17 on very high settings, is that I need to play FS19 on "medium" due to all this new stuff that has been added to the game.
[Win11] Intel Core i9-13900F Tray 5.6GHz / MSI RTX4090 24GB GDDR6 / 2x16GB 5600MHz DDR5
Lenko

Post by Lenko »

parad0x177 wrote: Fri Oct 05, 2018 1:31 am Yeah...I don’t think that is nearly as easy as you might think it is. They would need to make their modeling of human physiology and anatomy a lot more detailed. Then, they would have to make the mechanics of the avatar’s interaction with the cab and controls more detailed (or it would still look unnatural in all but one position). Then they wou have to refine the positioning and motion for ever cab in the game.

Basically, it would take a lot more work and probably a notable amount of clock cycles to make a meaningful improvement. And, frankly, if they are going to use up more resources to make something more detailed, I’m still inclined to ask for more detailed machines. (This isn’t The Sims Go Farming, afterall!)

But, hey, if that’s the biggest gripe you have, Giants must be doing pretty well, right? :wink3:
W1der wrote: Fri Oct 05, 2018 10:46 am My concern is about all these extra details that players want to see in the game that needs to be handled by the GPU.

There is only so much a GPU can handle before you get frame drops ... and all these "details" needs to be balanced with other features.
Adding more detail/features to the avatar could mean that the settings for lighting, sound, viewing distance, tire markings/trails, crop density etc needs to be lowered ...

What I fear, being used to play fs17 on very high settings, is that I need to play FS19 on "medium" due to all this new stuff that has been added to the game.
With all due respect, you're both incredibly off the mark.

Re-positioning of a character model is exceedingly easy. The animations are also not complicated; they are basic skeleton movements. Not sure why you think "physiology and anatomy" needs to be more "detailed" to simply change a seated position of a 3D model in a cab. Speaking of the cabs, no, they wouldn't need to change anything about them.

Regarding the GPU / Physics; this is only going to be an issue for extremely old cards. You're severely over-estimating what a performance hit it'd be.

In short, if you doubled the polycount and animations for the player model (which is being extremely generous), it would have less impact and less development time than having say, a running combine harvester on-screen.
BigC92

Post by BigC92 »

I like where its at, the key here is that the animations are in game, i could care less about driver sitting right or wrong way, im here to play the game.
W1der

Post by W1der »

Sorry ... I got a bit of topic with my comment.

I am referring to all the request made in general and even if each and every one of them adds only a small load for the GPU to handle ... it all adds up in the end.
[Win11] Intel Core i9-13900F Tray 5.6GHz / MSI RTX4090 24GB GDDR6 / 2x16GB 5600MHz DDR5
parad0x177

Post by parad0x177 »

Lenko wrote: Tue Oct 16, 2018 5:26 am With all due respect, you're both incredibly off the mark.

Re-positioning of a character model is exceedingly easy. The animations are also not complicated; they are basic skeleton movements. Not sure why you think "physiology and anatomy" needs to be more "detailed" to simply change a seated position of a 3D model in a cab. Speaking of the cabs, no, they wouldn't need to change anything about them.

Regarding the GPU / Physics; this is only going to be an issue for extremely old cards. You're severely over-estimating what a performance hit it'd be.

In short, if you doubled the polycount and animations for the player model (which is being extremely generous), it would have less impact and less development time than having say, a running combine harvester on-screen.
Changing positions is trivial. Making the avatars more detailed wouldn’t be demanding either, though I wonder why anyone would care much about higher polycounts for the game avatars.

However, making a character look natural (which is what the OP was talking about) isn’t just a matter of changing positions or increasing polycounts. To make them more natural would mean more natural motion, which would mean more skeletal articulation and more animations. For instance, to remove the “sticks” the OP is concerned about would mean either giving the avatars a permanent (and equally unnatural) slouch of some sort OR adding additional vertices along the spine and animating them. Making those animations look natural and correct, regardless of the machine they are “operating”, regardless of the particular avatar, and regardless of “bumps in the road” is more complicated than simple linear transforms, or even the mechanical, cyclical animations like, say, turning wheels and spinning fans on a combine. All those things would be tricky to get right (more development time) and would require more (and more complicated) calculations to execute (increasing hardware demands).

As for your comment about “old cards”, making the game even more hardware-hungry would place even more demands on what is, by all accounts, a niche audience. In other words, they might hurt their sales if they target higher-end machines. (We already have plenty of folks concerned about rendering distance as it is.) That in mind, I’d rather the developers stick to their current approach to hardware “sizing” and preserve (or grow) their audience so that they can keep making, more, better games over time.

So, all due respect, I stand by my original comment: I’d rather them continue to make the machines look more realistic instead of worrying a lot about the way the avatars sit in the seats.
W1der

Post by W1der »

Looking at how the avatar behaves when riding a horse ... does not look that "stiff".
Skunkworks

Post by Skunkworks »

There is another game where the "placeholder" avatar has a more natural pose. No rocket science involved. I did not say I want a fully animated flexible avatar, just that the pose looks unnatural. It does affect what immersion for me anyway.