PC Requirements

Case1370

Re: PC Requirements

Post by Case1370 »

Guil wrote: Mon Oct 29, 2018 12:31 pm You can't really compare FS to any other game, the likes of GTA only renders what's on the screen at any time, in FS every thing on the entire map is there the whole time so that's why there is bale limits and slots.

OK, so thats how games like that are able to do what they do, while FS cant. I wonder if it would be possible for Giants to do that with FS? Could have much bigger maps, then as well, if Im understanding you correctly, about how those other games work. Although, that would probably be much more difficult, do to the bales. So I definitely see why there has to be a bale limit, I just wish it wasnt so low of a number of bales you can have. But I understand it better now. Thanks
bassaddict
GIANTS Software | Web/Script Programmer

Post by bassaddict »

FS doesn't render the entire map (no computer could handle that).
What you're talking about is the memory: all the textures of the entire map are in the VRAM at all times.
We could of course use texture streamling, like other games, but then we would have to sacrifice the instant tabbing trough the vehicles. And since that's probably THE most important feature in the game (at least for SP), that won't happen.

BTW: slots basically just represent memory. And since the consoles only have a limited amount of memory (5GB usable for games), we need those slots to avoid out-of-memory crashes. Because obviously, Sony and Mircosoft don't want to see their consoles crashing.
PCs can swap to disk if there's not enough physical memory available.
Guil

Post by Guil »

What he said Haha.
redglasses

Post by redglasses »

bassaddict wrote: Tue Oct 30, 2018 9:57 am BTW: slots basically just represent memory. And since the consoles only have a limited amount of memory (5GB usable for games), we need those slots to avoid out-of-memory crashes. Because obviously, Sony and Mircosoft don't want to see their consoles crashing.
PCs can swap to disk if there's not enough physical memory available.
Does this mean we could be able to use slots for bales, ie. if you use less equipment you can have more bales?
Playing Lincoln Creek on PC
Upload your screenshots here: IMG server
My Discord
Remember there is no need to spread your manure around the forums :wink3:
Jack of all trades, master of the skid steer
bassaddict
GIANTS Software | Web/Script Programmer

Post by bassaddict »

redglasses wrote: Tue Oct 30, 2018 1:24 pm Does this mean we could be able to use slots for bales, ie. if you use less equipment you can have more bales?
No. Bales are dynamic objects. The problem with those is the object count. Too many objects in one spot causes the framerate to drop.
Technically it would be no problem having a thousand or more bales, if they are spread across the map properly. But with the average user, you have to asume that they will put all the bales in one spot (it's kinda convenient having all the bales for feeding the cows at the cow barn...), hence the bale count has to be limited. Just to avoid too big of an impact on the performance.
Miketeg

Post by Miketeg »

I pretty like these more technical post. Keep them coming @bassaddict
Has been dairy farmer - From Quebec, Canada
French is my first language, please excuse my English :-)