FS17 gearbox addon shifting big trucks

DirectCedar

FS17 gearbox addon shifting big trucks

Post by DirectCedar »

Mogli's Gearbox Addon is just fantastic. I only play with it and the game is a shade of itself without it.

I have a question about the shift pattern in the default gearboxes in the big trucks (I am using it in the Barrelcore).

Gears shift sequentially 1-2-3-4 in low range, then you have to shift to high range, then gears shift sequentially again 5-6-7-8 (or 1-6 and 7-12 in the other transmission). This is all correct to real life and a realistic representation of how this class of transmission operates.

My challenge comes when shifting ranges with the mod. When you shift range, the transmission maintains the relative position in the gear sequence that it was in in the other range. So, if you are in 4 and select range up, the transmission is now in 8. If you are in 6 and select range down, the transmission is now in 2. Then you have to frantically shift three gears up or down to get to the target gear after changing range. i.e. going from 4 to 5, you actually have to shift 4-8-7-6-5.

This is technically an accurate representation as in real life the transmission would hold its relative gear when changing only the range. The challenge is that in real life, you almost never change just the range. You pretty much always move the stick to the next gear position at the same time as changing the range. So, for instance, 4-5 is a couple hand motions but really only one shift. The range actually changes when the transmission is in neutral between gears.

So my question is, is there a workaround to make the transmission "feel" like it is shifting this way? i.e. is there a way to set the range selector so the effective shift goes 4-5 with one click rather than using two inputs to manually go 4-8-7-6-5? I've played with every combination of transmissions and mod settings I can come up with, and I can't make it do this. I'm wondering if anyone else has come up against this and has a workaround?

It's not a big deal to continue manually working around it, and like I said this very awesome mod is actually working correctly as an accurate representation. It's just that computer inputs don't quite replicate an actual stick accurately so little hiccups like this occur. Thanks for any insight.
DirectCedar

Re: FS17 gearbox addon shifting big trucks

Post by DirectCedar »

Drmattymd wrote: Tue Feb 19, 2019 2:35 am I found that a little frustrating too, all I could do was hold the clutch and tab back to the other end real quick. I have seen Eaton style gear shift controllers with Hi/Lo range and 2 speed rear selectors, I dont know if they would do anything on their own to improve the situation or not but I have a feeling it would require a tweak in the mods coding
This is the conclusion I believe I am coming to as well. Thanks for the reply. At least I know I'm not the only one scratching my head about this :smileynew: