Why the new slot system - explained

Mohawk68

Re: Why the new slot system - explained

Post by Mohawk68 »

I'm playing on PS4 on the Goldcrest Valley map and I just checked my garage after the update to version 1.02. So far I have used 249 slots and have 78 left to use, that's only 337 total! I really don't have all that much and know I will definitely need more equipment when I get some more fields. It's going to get tight. Guess I will just have to double up on equipment and do without the variety that is now in FS17.

I am sure I remember it being said that the slot limit would not be an issue for current gen consoles (Xbox 1 & PS4) in FS17 early in its development (and one of the reasons that old gen were ditched). If I had known about the current limit (taking Stegei's last estimate of 500 minus 20% for the map, so 400 slots, which I'm still not getting, even after the update) I'm sure that I might not have purchased FS17. It should definitely have been made clear by Giants that this was the case before release.
Mr.Smoke

Post by Mr.Smoke »

Im another console user who is having regrets now that this information has been brought to light. Pretty sure i remember reading something along the lines of "the limit is so high we doubt anyone will reach it" which eased my concerns about equipment limitations. Had i known it was going to similar to FS15 on PS3, i certainly would have purchased on PC even though my farming friends are on console. Very disheartening that Giants wasnt upfront about how the slot system would work prior to release, but that surely would have hurt sales.
ddg02

Post by ddg02 »

So I wasted a lot of time and figured out the slot system I have everything written down what they cost for slots. We get a total of 325 slots and the counter doesn't show until you only have 99 left. If you buy a tractor with normal tires and buy a second with duals it only costs 1 more slot. I'm going to make a excel spreadsheet of the count for everything, but can anyone help me load it so we can get it to the masses? Also don't judge on the spelling of any item on the sheet I wrote really fast took around an hour and half to write up.
Mr.Smoke

Post by Mr.Smoke »

ddg02 wrote:So I wasted a lot of time and figured out the slot system I have everything written down what they cost for slots. We get a total of 325 slots and the counter doesn't show until you only have 99 left. If you buy a tractor with normal tires and buy a second with duals it only costs 1 more slot. I'm going to make a excel spreadsheet of the count for everything, but can anyone help me load it so we can get it to the masses? Also don't judge on the spelling of any item on the sheet I wrote really fast took around an hour and half to write up.
Thats fantastic you took the time to figure it all out. As for getting it to the masses, maybe a dropbox link to it? Should work so that its something that can only be viewed and not edited.
NITROBUSA

Post by NITROBUSA »

Just experimented after reading this post. I was restricted to 3 different tractors, 2 combines & 2 trucks & trailers.

Sold the different brands & now have 3 of the same combines, 3 of the same trucks & trailers
& 2 each of the different tractors.
Miura74

Post by Miura74 »

Stegei wrote:The problem is, that the map in FS17 already uses about twice as much memory as the map in FS15. Also most of the vehicles are much more detailed and some use about twice as much memory as well. Also because of the mod system and the larger amount of available vehicles in the base game, the slot system needs to be more conservative, since we need be absolutely sure, that any possible combination will always fit in the available memory. For FS15, there was approx. enough memory to just keep any vehicle in memory, so we basically only needed to make sure that the per-instance memory (which is quite low compared to the base memory used per vehicle type) didn't use up all of the remaining memory. For FS17, this unfortunately is no longer the case. Buying all vehicles just once, would use more than the available memory. We will however continue to investigate if we can further optimize the slot system, to allow you to buy more vehicles.
I understand why there is now a slot system. But can't you please show the slots all the time? It makes it easier to tactfully purchase equipment.

For example, now I know the Cow Ed. Valtra uses 16 slots. So I won't bother with that one.
PS4 + PS5 (Miura74) & PC player.

https://www.youtube.com/user/PsnMiura74
(No monetization - I don't earn money off views - just fun)
nweddup

Post by nweddup »

Why is this always thr response? Why do people who dont play on consoles (I play both PC & XB1) come on these threads about console issues. You add nothing to the discussion but your own bias opinion.

Most console gamers understand the limitation of there hardware, players coming from FS15 are aware of a"slot system" that was at 3000, some coming from FS13 on XB360 (I was full pleb) understand the slot system fully (Base and vechical slots)
What people are trying to understand is:
1. Why is it so low compared to FS15? ( Already answered)
2. Why wasn't this made abundantly clear in the months leading up to release? ( the more important question to me)
Now without the "Money Glitch" I don't see that many players reaching the cap this early on, but it has happened, now with stock vechicals and hand full of mods, people who purchased "Premium Edition" are maxed out without a single DLC being released.
1. There is nothing in the thread title which suggesting the thread is only regarding consoles, I will help anyone I can (regardless of system) if its an issue I am aware of.
2. Considering I own 2 consoles (for the kids) and a pc its not exactly a biased opinion.
3. Alot of games don't state every aspect of the game before release, have you never purchased a AAA title with issues? You were well within your rights to ask questions before purchase and nobody forced anyone to buy on release day.
4. I am well aware that consoles are improving (heck we could moan if they wernt!) Unfortunately some don't seem to understand that although a console can look pretty it falls way short ram and CPU capacity, as explained by giants, but still nearly every console gamer here is spitting their dummy out of the pram when the facts are presented that their console is limited.
WolfeUK

Post by WolfeUK »

Im only playing this on the console and i love the slot limit (once they add the right number of slots), it adds a new challenge, now when i go to get a new piece of equipment im asking myself do i really need it, just like you would in RL, ive found a nice medium tractor that i love and will have a few of them to do all the donkey work, will probably only run 1 combine, maybe 2 tops,
If you think about what your buying i dont think the lack of slots will be a problem,
I do agree though it would be good to show the slot count at all times when in the garage and not only at 80% full, this way you can judge your equipment spending better

I would be more concerned about the amount of bails you can store, i remember in FS15 i topped that out yet felt i didnt have that many, so do bails count as slots too and if so how many bails per slot ?
XB1~PC....I do struggle to understand sometimes, but i try :mrgreen:
Stegei
GIANTS Software | CTO

Post by Stegei »

Bales don't count towards the vehicle/placeable slot limit. They are, however, limited to 200 bales (compared to 100 in FS15).
JemFipar

Post by JemFipar »

If you don't mind my interjection here, I decided to hop on my Xbox one because I was curious of the situation. I logged on to on of my saves and started buying the hell out of tractors and leasing as well. As of now I have 30 or more different objects with no performance issues or caps. Last night when I tried playing multiplayer I was unable to connect to the server (most likely maintanance) but as I said it seems to me that there are no insane caps........ Maybe just buyers remorse or hysteria has set in?
JemFipar

Post by JemFipar »

Also those saying that us console guys should just deal. HAVE YOU SEEN WHAT CONSOLES CAN RUN? If we can run battlefield on at sixty fps, and what 900 something p and it look gourgeous and play well, then why can't this game run just as well......
JemFipar

Post by JemFipar »

Edit to last did a diff config of vehicles (the high tier) and hit it 21 objects in. Where is this counter by the way? I see nothing of the sort telling me slots left
BigC92

Post by BigC92 »

WolfeUK wrote:Im only playing this on the console and i love the slot limit (once they add the right number of slots), it adds a new challenge, now when i go to get a new piece of equipment im asking myself do i really need it, just like you would in RL, ive found a nice medium tractor that i love and will have a few of them to do all the donkey work, will probably only run 1 combine, maybe 2 tops,
If you think about what your buying i dont think the lack of slots will be a problem,
I do agree though it would be good to show the slot count at all times when in the garage and not only at 80% full, this way you can judge your equipment spending better

I would be more concerned about the amount of bails you can store, i remember in FS15 i topped that out yet felt i didnt have that many, so do bails count as slots too and if so how many bails per slot ?
Im just like you, make hard decisions and make sure you'll have money after your purchase, but if I umm whats the right word... Over think it and i dont have much money left over, ill doo a couple of mission, but sometimes i have dreams about it, and oddly enough, they work.
JemFipar

Post by JemFipar »

Ignore the last, I just ran out of room at the shop is all............
eric21

Post by eric21 »

JemFipar wrote:Also those saying that us console guys should just deal. HAVE YOU SEEN WHAT CONSOLES CAN RUN? If we can run battlefield on at sixty fps, and what 900 something p and it look gourgeous and play well, then why can't this game run just as well......
Different game engine