Cannot connect to Multiplayer Server

Mpentzamin

Cannot connect to Multiplayer Server

Post by Mpentzamin »

My friend and I are trying to play on the same server(not dedicated). We can't seem to connect to each other. The error message we are getting is cannot establish a connection to the multiplayer server. The troubleshooting we have done is verified firewalls aren't blocking the game, restarted game, restarted comps, tried using UPnP on and off, switching the ports when setting up the game, trying different internet connections by using hotspots/wifi, tried starting a new game and tried a game without mods. Nothing has seemed to work so far. We can both join other players and different servers without any issues. We can even join the same server without issues, however, we cannot join the same server if one of us is hosting. The only way we have gotten it to work is with connecting both computers to the same hotspot via tablet or phone. Even if we both connect to the same router it doesn't work only with the hotspot. Two different hotspots doesn't work either. If any one has any ideas as to what the issue could be or a way to find out more information on this issue we would appreciate it.
EXTREMA_Ola

Re: Cannot connect to Multiplayer Server

Post by EXTREMA_Ola »

Following, same for me and my friend.
Jwolfm3

Post by Jwolfm3 »

Same here... he can find the game if I start it but it's very laggy for him to join my map.. so he started a map and I can't even search to find his new game.. he sent me and invite and I get the same cannot connect message
Slivicon

Post by Slivicon »

One thing that has happened to me that you may want to check is if something on your home network is eating up your bandwidth. You won't get any indication from the FS game other than repeatedly seeing "can't connect to server" and if you do get in, it lags severely.

This happened to my son and I, and I discovered that he had several updates for other games downloading in his steam client in the background. It was eating up our home network bandwidth. As soon as I stopped those, FS multiplayer returned to normal.

Depending on your situation, check things like someone is streaming video in the house, background downloads, background windows updates, etc... You can try something like speedtest.net to just make sure your bandwidth is currently normal (and rule it out as a cause) when this issue happens...
livesea72

Post by livesea72 »

Slivicon wrote:One thing that has happened to me that you may want to check is if something on your home network is eating up your bandwidth. You won't get any indication from the FS game other than repeatedly seeing "can't connect to server" and if you do get in, it lags severely.

This happened to my son and I, and I discovered that he had several updates for other games downloading in his steam client in the background. It was eating up our home network bandwidth. As soon as I stopped those, FS multiplayer returned to normal.

Depending on your situation, check things like someone is streaming video in the house, background downloads, background windows updates, etc... You can try something like speedtest.net to just make sure your bandwidth is currently normal (and rule it out as a cause) when this issue happens...
Yep just found out Microsoft likes to use all your bandwidth for updates.I have 25mb connection and my win 10 update was using 24.6 :shock:
FS13 xbox360/ FS15 ps4/xbox one/ FS17 xbox one/ps4pro platinum trophy /FS19 ps4pro platinum trophy/ FS 22 PC
Slivicon

Post by Slivicon »

livesea72 wrote:
Slivicon wrote:One thing that has happened to me that you may want to check is if something on your home network is eating up your bandwidth. You won't get any indication from the FS game other than repeatedly seeing "can't connect to server" and if you do get in, it lags severely.

Yep just found out Microsoft likes to use all your bandwidth for updates.I have 25mb connection and my win 10 update was using 24.6 :shock:
Yes, and in Win10, you will want to go into your updates settings - advanced settings - change how updates are delivered - and turn off the default "get *and send* updates to PCs on the Internet", or they will use your bandwidth to send updates to other Windows computers :/ (change it to PCs on my local network only)
livesea72

Post by livesea72 »

Slivicon wrote:
livesea72 wrote:

Yes, and in Win10, you will want to go into your updates settings - advanced settings - change how updates are delivered - and turn off the default "get *and send* updates to PCs on the Internet", or they will use your bandwidth to send updates to other Windows computers :/ (change it to PCs on my local network only)
Thanks for the tip :hi:
FS13 xbox360/ FS15 ps4/xbox one/ FS17 xbox one/ps4pro platinum trophy /FS19 ps4pro platinum trophy/ FS 22 PC
matstrooper

Post by matstrooper »

yes i have had the same problems, initially was on West coast and now thornton V2 it appears to be a save error and something to do with seasons.....try removing seasons and see what happens.