What is needed to start multi player?

oldseadude

What is needed to start multi player?

Post by oldseadude »

I've played FS-13, -15, and -17 solo quite a bit on PC but never multi player. What equipment do I need for voice chat? What is discord? I'm not sure how to get started.
markare

Re: What is needed to start multi player?

Post by markare »

Discord is an app just like Skype that allows voice chat. You can setup multiple channels. Used by a lot of streamers and yotubers. Free of charge and easy to setup. For the multiplayer part unfortunately I'm not sure as I don't play on PC
:hi:
Scottish farming with all the n00bery
Xb1
Sometimes stream, depends how I feel
http://aatg.freeforums.net/ work in progress
MrWashingToad

Post by MrWashingToad »

For multiplayer on PC - if you're joining someone else's server, then you have what you need by having the game. You will obviously need to get the same mods (if any) that are running on the server to join, and if a secured server, then a password from the server owner/moderators.

For voice chat, the easiest, and cheapest (free) is Discord. https://discordapp.com/ You can either use the browser based, or the PC app (I recommend the app, way easier). There is also a mobile version of the app you could use (iOS / Android - none for Windows mobile phone, but the browser based app would work, I assume). Discord is fairly intuitive.

If you're talking RUNNING a multiplayer server then you will need to have a second copy of the Farming-Simulator software (unfortunately GIANTS don't allow use of the same key to simultaneously run a dedicated server & your play instance at the same time, which is absolute .. fertilizer ..., IMHO).
On the disk version or image version you download (it's MUCH easier if you have either disk or image download than Steam for the server copy) you will find the Dedicated Server .pdf 's in English, French, and German that are about 10 pages to setup. DO NOT SKIP A STEP. Here are the system requirements from the English dedicated server .pdf:
SYSTEM REQUIREMENTS
 Microsoft Windows 7, Windows 8, Windows 10 and Windows Server 2008, 2012 with 64-bit architecture
 A separate Farming Simulator 17 license is needed for each Dedicated Server. You can't play with the same license key as a client on a server.
 2.4 GHZ CPU (Intel or AMD)
 2 GB RAM
 6 GB free hard disk space
 Fixed IP address and permanent Internet connection
 No graphics or sound card required

In addition, you will need to be able to access your router for your internet and be able to add in the port forwarding needed for the game, and, if you want to be able to access via the mobile server app to start/restart/stop and access the MP panel, as well, need to add that port number (It's in the manual). You may need to add the ports to the computer's own firewall and/or antivirus / malware removal software if any as well.
Slivicon

Post by Slivicon »

Depending on your home network router, you can avoid some multiplayer issues with the game by ensuring your router is set to enable UPNP and also that the NAT filtering configuration is set to OPEN. This helps avoid issues especially when you try to have more than one computer with separate copies of FS running on the home network trying to all connect to another multiplayer host. There won't be indications of these issues except by the game saying "cannot establish connection to game". Another item to watch for is background downloading on the home network, the reduced bandwidth can cause performance issues, and in some cases, not being able to join a multiplayer game in the first place.