Question

mountnrydr

Question

Post by mountnrydr »

I am thinking of purchasing FS17 for my son and me to play together online. I have never played the PC version, only FS15 for PS4 where you have to subscribe to PS Plus to play online. Can we play together on the LAN with just the 2 copies, or do we need a third copy and a dedicated server? or rent a server? or what do I need to know about this? Thanks!
Slivicon

Re: Question

Post by Slivicon »

I also play with my son on PC. I have bought 2013, 15 and 17 on both PCs in the house via Steam. You can play together if one of you hosts (creates a game) and the other joins, no need to get a dedi license. You only need a dedicated server if you want to have a situation where either one can hop on and play a persistent farm, regardless of whether the other is around to play or not. If you want to have that kind of thing, I personally feel it is a lot less headache to just rent a dedi server from verygames.net.

If you get any mods, you'll both need the identical mod files to play together. If you are on a home network with a shared IP, and you want to play on an external dedi, you may want to check your router settings and ensure UPNP is enabled and NAT translation is set to OPEN.
mountnrydr

Post by mountnrydr »

Do you have to use Steam to play the game together, or can you have digital download from elsewhere or disc copies and do the same thing? I don't know if you are familiar with Minecraft, but when we play Minecraft together, one person hosts and the other joins over the LAN. Is it the same kind of thing?
mountnrydr

Post by mountnrydr »

Anyone know?