Fao Lisertan and other employees of giants...

markare

Post by markare »

Just wondering if there is a way for Giants to implement a way to be able to grab all missing mods with the push of a button. When trying to load into a multiplayer game that has missing mods could there be a quicker way to get them than having to to read through all the mods and try to find them in the mod hub. Like pressing the info button the exclamation mark shows what's missing. Press one button and the game will automatically download the missing mods.
Asking this as myself and a friend just spent an hour trying to find and install mods so I could play along side him.
:hi:
Scottish farming with all the n00bery
Xb1
Sometimes stream, depends how I feel
http://aatg.freeforums.net/ work in progress
FordFarmer97

Post by FordFarmer97 »

I agree, that would be amazing
Tryin to make a 9700 Ford mod, one of these days
#LimeGreenPower
Playin on PC in Tennessee!
John 3:16: "For God so loved the world he gave his only begotten son, that whovever shall believeth in him shall not perish, but have everlasting life"
Old Iron Best Iron.
PM me for a Discord link.
redglasses

Re: Fao Lisertan and other employees of giants...

Post by redglasses »

Yes, especially on console because the only way to get mods is through the mod hub. This is a great idea and would make playing with my friends much better/easier
Playing Lincoln Creek on PC
Upload your screenshots here: IMG server
My Discord
Remember there is no need to spread your manure around the forums :wink3:
Jack of all trades, master of the skid steer
*TurboStar*

Post by *TurboStar* »

On PC already work like you want; if you have missing mods you can click the central download button while you are seeing hosted game's detail and you will see all missing mods, of course only from the official ModHub.
markare

Post by markare »

That shows what's missing. But going through the mod hub with over 300 mods to find those specific mods is what the problem is. What I'm hoping for is a way to be able to check the details and press one button that automatically installs each mod that's nissing
Xb1
Guil

Post by Guil »

Moved from multiplayer and added new posts.
IseOlen

Post by IseOlen »

For this to work mods should have an UID - unique identifier. Looked into modDesc.xml and didn't see one. I suppose "title" could be used but generally this is a bad idea. For this to work, UID should be added first. After that this should be really easy.
UID would also help with some other suggestions already made in FS19 wish thread - bug reporting, version history, generating automatic threads (for discussion and/or bug reporting) in forum. So strong suggestions for Giants - add UID to mods description. Actually, use 2 levels of UID-s - one for MOD and another one for "element X in a mod" (for modpacks). Again, helps with all sorts of management (both in development stage and later in support stage).

/disclaimer: I have 20+ years of experience in systems and business analysis. In case Giants would like my input (absolutely free), PM me. I like the game and would be happy to make it even better.
markare

Post by markare »

It's a bad idea?? So a way to help with a portion of the game is a bad idea and you would rather go through the details of missing mods then go into the modhub and look through over 300 mods that are available to find the ones required to join said multiplayer game. Something to make the game playable faster, and it's a bad idea???

As I said before myself and a friend spent nearly an hour going through modhub to get the same mods in place to be able to play multiplayer. It got so bad having to go back and forth to the game to find out what other mods where needed that my friend had to finally quit the game and go onto modhub and relay the information to me. That's an hour that need not have been wasted. An hour lost on the game. An hour that could have been used doing something else. You see where I'm going with this??
Xb1
Guil

Post by Guil »

Isn't the hash that is displayed on all mods a unique identifier of sorts?
IseOlen

Post by IseOlen »

I think the hash changes from version to version but you are right - they somehow should have some sort of UID as otherwise "update mod" would not work. Dunno what exactly they use thou.
redglasses

Post by redglasses »

markare wrote: Fri Mar 02, 2018 1:06 pm It's a bad idea?? So a way to help with a portion of the game is a bad idea and you would rather go through the details of missing mods then go into the modhub and look through over 300 mods that are available to find the ones required to join said multiplayer game. Something to make the game playable faster, and it's a bad idea???

As I said before myself and a friend spent nearly an hour going through modhub to get the same mods in place to be able to play multiplayer. It got so bad having to go back and forth to the game to find out what other mods where needed that my friend had to finally quit the game and go onto modhub and relay the information to me. That's an hour that need not have been wasted. An hour lost on the game. An hour that could have been used doing something else. You see where I'm going with this??
I think he meant using a title for identifying the mods is a bad idea. He was just saying a way that your idea could work, and with the way it works now its a bad idea to use the title as an identifier, they would have to add something to get it to work better
Playing Lincoln Creek on PC
Upload your screenshots here: IMG server
My Discord
Remember there is no need to spread your manure around the forums :wink3:
Jack of all trades, master of the skid steer