Why is there still no Linux version of the dedicated server?

zombie42

Why is there still no Linux version of the dedicated server?

Post by zombie42 »

I really like the Farming Simulator series and especially the multiplayer experience and I would like to run a dedicated server myself. I have the required hardware and Internet connection but running Windows on the server is definitely not an option. I don't mind the extra base game license costs for the dedicated server but having Windows as a requirement is way too much. If you run the dedicated server on Windows, you would legally need a Window Server license with CALs for every user or an External Connector license, if you cannot name the users of the server. That is a couple of 100 euros just for the Windows Server license.

Why is there no Linux version of the dedicated server? You already build FS for multiple platforms including Mac OS, which is quite close to Linux. Adding a Linux build should not be that hard or expensive. If you don't want to support multiple Linux versions, you could for example provide Docker images.

And a slightly relaxed server licensing would be great. If the server would just require a base game license and not additional licenses for every DLC, you could still run your base game license checks and check that every client has a valid license for the DLCs. It does not make much sense that you have to pay for the DLCs on the server.
lahey

Re: Why is there still no Linux version of the dedicated server?

Post by lahey »

Agreed! Dedicated servers should not require a license in itself. That's just being greedy and naïve thinking "no one can pirate my game if i require a license for it".
Be proper gentle men and women and give us free dedicated servers, windows and Linux, we have already paid for the client.
Having us pay for dedicated too is just a douchebag move.
nano11bravo

Re: Why is there still no Linux version of the dedicated server?

Post by nano11bravo »

zombie42 wrote: Tue Nov 23, 2021 8:15 pm I really like the Farming Simulator series and especially the multiplayer experience and I would like to run a dedicated server myself. I have the required hardware and Internet connection but running Windows on the server is definitely not an option. I don't mind the extra base game license costs for the dedicated server but having Windows as a requirement is way too much. If you run the dedicated server on Windows, you would legally need a Window Server license with CALs for every user or an External Connector license, if you cannot name the users of the server. That is a couple of 100 euros just for the Windows Server license.

Why is there no Linux version of the dedicated server? You already build FS for multiple platforms including Mac OS, which is quite close to Linux. Adding a Linux build should not be that hard or expensive. If you don't want to support multiple Linux versions, you could for example provide Docker images.

And a slightly relaxed server licensing would be great. If the server would just require a base game license and not additional licenses for every DLC, you could still run your base game license checks and check that every client has a valid license for the DLCs. It does not make much sense that you have to pay for the DLCs on the server.
:hi:
Not to beat a dead horse or bring back an ancient thread but I've also found myself wondering why Giants hasn't created a linux/*nix version of their dedicated server yet. The licensing for a server wouldn't be such a bad idea IF they did offer these sorts of features but they don't. Not only that but if you are going to require a license for a dedicated server application you should at least make the two easily distinguishable. To further clarify what I'm getting at is that it would make sense to offer the server license at a discounted rate. Keep up the good work Giants.