Textures and colours - what i am I missing?

Your forum for all discussions around Modding.
Phila

Textures and colours - what i am I missing?

Post by Phila »

Hi all

I'm a beginner /occasional vehicle modder for personal use. I can change wheels, add prefabs, tweak basic xml for HP etc , can import and tweak things in blender (a little), change DDS in GiMP (a bit)... I'm in awe of you guys who make new mods.

Bit colour/textures!!! When I make a change in Blender (when i cant make tweak in GE) and reimport to a mod that is otherwise unchanged , I lose all colour. Or change text in DDS file in Gimp and ...

After much searching I still can't find the idiots starter guide to 'painting' or 'repainting' an object or parts of an object - anyone suggest one please?

Cheers
P
s8080t

Re: Textures and colours - what i am I missing?

Post by s8080t »

What you're looking for is a way to apply a certain material to a shape/object.

Material, in this case, is a collection of attributes and values, a shader and the texture files.

If you open an i3d file in notepad++, you'll see all the textures/files and the materials definition with their IDs. You can now look for the shape you want and replace the number in the materialIds="xxx" attribute to the ID of the material you want it to have.

Or - the better way - if you use stjerneidioten's i3d exporter in blender, you can setup the material configuration there. That way, the shape will have the correct material in GE from the start.

PS: if you changed a texture file, you can just reload them in GE. There's an icon for that ;)
Languages: DE/EN
Plattform: PC
Meine Mods
Grünlandsuchti
IT-Spezialexperte
OpenSource-Verfechter
Phila

Post by Phila »

s8080t wrote: Tue Apr 20, 2021 8:26 pm What you're looking for is a way to apply a certain material to a shape/object.
Thank you - you have played a major part in improving my sanity!
s8080t

Post by s8080t »

You're very welcome :>
Languages: DE/EN
Plattform: PC
Meine Mods
Grünlandsuchti
IT-Spezialexperte
OpenSource-Verfechter