[TUT]Quick and dirty way to add interior lighting to standard vehicles

Your forum for all discussions around Modding.
lechatnoircynique

[TUT]Quick and dirty way to add interior lighting to standard vehicles

Post by lechatnoircynique »

First off, this is not the right way to do it if you're making a mod from scratch, it's just a short route to get the fabled lights without having access to a 3d modeler and the original 3d model. Second note, it won't work with all the vehicles, especially the ones ported from older games as many of those do not have the interior decals as a separated file.

Software needed:
  • Giants editor
    Photo editing software with the dds plugin
    text editor (notepad++ with the LUA lexer and XML tools plugin if you don't have one)
The basics

Creating the mod from a standard vehicle
  • 3. Set up the mod inside your mod folder, it's convenient in this case.
    4. The model will be opened automagically at the end of the process, if not open it yourself but don't pan around right away or you'll break the outdoor camera, create a throwaway camera that you'll delete at the end of the process
    5. Select the camera you've just created
The editor is going to create a botched modDesc.xml file, so open it up and paste these lines inside

Code: Select all

<?xml version="1.0" encoding="utf-8" standalone="no" ?>
<modDesc descVersion="32">
    <author>Mono</author>
    <version>1.0.0.0</version>
    <iconFilename>store_fendt300.dds</iconFilename>
	<title>
        <en>Fendt_300_custom</en>
        <de>Fendt_300_custom</de>
    </title>
    <description>
        <en>Fendt_300_custom</en>
        <de>Fendt_300_custom</de>
    </description>
    <storeItems>
        <storeItem rootNode="vehicle" xmlFilename="fendt300.xml"/>
    </storeItems>
</modDesc>
Modding the beast:

• 1. Navigate to the decals transform by clicking on the + signs, if you're not sure it's the right one look with the camera to see which parts are being selected, we need the symbols on switches and stuff
    2/3. Export the selected part inside your mod folder, name it whatever you please
Open up the i3d file you've just exported

• 1. Go to window>material editing to display the materials tab, take note of the name of the diffuse texture
    2. Find it inside the mod folder, duplicate it and rename to your liking
    3. Click on the red crosses near Diffuse Texture, Specular Texture, Cube Map, under the Custom Shader tab click the red cross again. Finally assign the newly duplicated file to the diffuse and emissive files by clicking on the three dots. Save the file.
  • 1. Open up the file you duplicated before in your favourite editor, this is what you'll see
    2.Click on the channels tab, find the alpha and click on it, select all and copy
    3.Click back on the rgb channels and then paste the layer on top, set it to multiply
    4.Start editing the picture, we want to keep only the parts that usually light up, so no warning stickers or exterior symbols like the ones on top left
    • a. This is the masking layer, keep it separated for the moment as it will be useful to edit the alpha channel at the end
      b.I made another copy of the alpha channel in this spot as some symbols were originally black so they didn't light up
    5.Paste the masking layer from point 4 on the alpha channel, keep in mind black transparent, white visible
    6.Go back to the rgb channels, merge everything down and save as dxt5
Almost there

• 1.Open up your modded tractor
    2.Go to file>import, select the decals i3d
    3.It will spawn outside of the main transform, at the bottom of the tree
    4.As we want it to light up together with the main lights we need to navigate to the coronas transform of the default lights
    5.Select the decals you've just imported, rename it to decalsilluminated
    6.Cut the decalsilluminated transform and paste it inside the coronas one
    7.You may not be able to see the lightshow at this moment because the two models are fighting on top of each other, to fix this move the decals a tiny bit, in this case I moved them in translate y(+0.01) and translate z(+0.001)
    8.Go to view>camera>outdoorcamera, delete the temp camera,save and close
    9.Check the disco inside the game. Tip:
    • gsSetDayTime in the console to get the desired hour
      gsCleanI3DCache to reload the model without exiting the game while you move around the decals inside the editor, the process goes, sell the mod you're editing,clean the cache,buy the model again after you've edited and save in the editor (it doesn't work for textures, for those you've got to reload the game from scratch)
Final notes, as you can see in the final picture I've got the display and dashboard to light up too, it's the same process but in this case the texture file hasn't got an alpha channel and so it was simply duplicated,renamed and applied no editing on my part.
Another thing I did it quick and dirty as the title says, so no bells and whistle on the texturing part, that is up to your and your abilities. (eg: on the dashboard texture I could have added an alpha channel to get only the center white part to light up or I could have cleaned up and edited the display on the side)
TSM

Re: [TUT]Quick and dirty way to add interior lighting to standard vehicles

Post by TSM »

Nice Tutorial :)
thediabl0

Post by thediabl0 »

Thanks for the tutorial, but if you change date game, you can't play in multiplayer. It seems more difficult since Giants does not.
PC Specs:
- i5 4690 3.5 Ghz
- GTX 1060 O6G
- 16 GB Ram DDR3
- Win 7 Pro
- Xbox One Controller
wildberry

Post by wildberry »

thediabl0 wrote:Thanks for the tutorial, but if you change date game, you can't play in multiplayer. It seems more difficult since Giants does not.
You need to create a mod of the vehicle and then do this, and share it for MP use and then it does work for all. *thumbsup*

thanks for this TUT *thumbsup*
MC, aka Master of Cereals
thediabl0

Post by thediabl0 »

wildberry wrote:
thediabl0 wrote:Thanks for the tutorial, but if you change date game, you can't play in multiplayer. It seems more difficult since Giants does not.
You need to create a mod of the vehicle and then do this, and share it for MP use and then it does work for all. *thumbsup*

thanks for this TUT *thumbsup*
Do we create a mod from each vehicle of the game? xD
PC Specs:
- i5 4690 3.5 Ghz
- GTX 1060 O6G
- 16 GB Ram DDR3
- Win 7 Pro
- Xbox One Controller
wildberry

Post by wildberry »

thediabl0 wrote:Do we create a mod from each vehicle of the game? xD
If you want to use this, yes... :zunge:
MC, aka Master of Cereals
tecto

Post by tecto »

Very nice tutorial!!! Thanks!!!

But to be honest...
GIANTS should do that by default!!! It's a shame that in 2017 we have a game without such details!!!
BigC92

Post by BigC92 »

wildberry wrote:
thediabl0 wrote:Do we create a mod from each vehicle of the game? xD
If you want to use this, yes... :zunge:
Yep, cause if you leave it the same, it'll mess up the vehicle when spawning, it cant decide what vehicle you want.Cause i had this ford pickup i had modded diff rims, tuned the engine, gear ratio, lifted, and when i spawned it, it was all diff colors.
Almont86

Post by Almont86 »

Can we get someone to add interior light's to xbox 1 mod
Please
Phantoms

Post by Phantoms »

I've got to the point where I hate using a tractor that doesn't have interior lighting. As such, all the tractors on my farm are mods.
Playing on PC
Andersen98

Post by Andersen98 »

damn mate! it's hard to do ;)
i think i will go search for a NH T7 where it's already have been made ;)
Phantoms

Post by Phantoms »

I have been trying to follow this but I'm having problems. Could anyone give instructions on how to do this with Gimp?
Playing on PC
lsutigersfan72

Post by lsutigersfan72 »

Can you just create a mod to where we could download it in the game so where the dash lights light up need them especially at night to where it looks more realistic.