PC mods on Console

Your forum for all discussions around Modding.
TheFailBros

PC mods on Console

Post by TheFailBros »

Hi all, Since the console version of FS17 has mods, why are the mods not that great, no offence to any mod maker. I was wondering if it is possible for someone to port some PC mods such as snow, more vehicles, or logging maps to the console ecosystem. How hard is it to do that? Or is it even possible? I guess I just want a wider array of mods other than mods made by GIANT software. Thanks
BigC92

Re: PC mods on Console

Post by BigC92 »

Its really hard to do all the things your asking, all mods have to be cleared by giants.
Chainsawcrazy

Post by Chainsawcrazy »

First. Giants don't make mods. They review them and make sure they meet the requirements that giants Sony and Microsoft have in place. These are no foreign scripts no name branding and no revisions of giants base game vehicles. It is also up to the modder if there mod will even make it to basic console mod testing etc. The mods we have were slow in coming as the process is ridiculously long. Patients is a vertue.
I once was cranky about mods until I got the whole crazy story behind it. As mentioned in many many many many many forum posts the biggest problem is not giants but in actual fact it is Sony that's the pain in the ass. I'm not saying Microsoft is free and clear but Sony was a big part of the regulations behind mods. It was decided to make life streamlined that the same dumb fu** rules apply to both platforms. What you can do is make a polite request for a mod on this forum and see if you get any nibbles. Also please read the other similar posts and you will see the ups and many downs to console mods. Remember mods come when they come. Keep the tractor shinny side up boots on the ground and farm on boss.
PrincessJessi84

Post by PrincessJessi84 »

ok so to answer this in as much depth as possible in a helpful fashion.. to begin with as a general rule of thumb giants doesn't make mods.. there have been a few exceptions to this but most all examples of this exception have been implements that were in the base game in previous editions of fs that giants "ported" over and r loosely called mods.. other reasons y what u r asking is either hard or simply may not happen include but r not limited to performance limitations of consoles as they pertain to the current farming simulator game engine, scripting restrictions imposed by sony and Microsoft as they do not allow scripts that r not included in the base game to be uploaded.. examples of these types of user made scripts would be things like follow me/gps/courseplay/special map or machine functions/etc, giants has a pretty rigid standard and testing process to insure standard is adhered to (no one knows for sure what exactly this entails as giants stay pretty tight lipped about their testing process), mods take a huge amount of time.. the more "great" the mods r the harder and more time consuming they r to create.. one of our modders who stays in regular communications with us about the progress of his work kinda kept tabs and let us know.. he literally has thousands of hours invested into one project, and simply put some mod authors don't want their mods uploaded to console or in some cases giants modhub in general for various reasons.. to sum it up it really isn't as simple as porting mods to consoles.. I came into this expecting similar to what xbox had in terms of availability with FO4 but it seems giants learned from many of the mistakes Beth made in their venture into console supported modding.. in the end consoles users have 2 choices.. either be patient and hope for the best as maybe with time will come a larger selection of more complex mods for console users or save your money like I did last month and get u a nice lil gaming pc.. I hope this helps break some of the confusion down so its better understood and helpful.. happy farming
https://fs19communitytrader.freeforums.net/
PC
PC - Ryzen 7-2700 8core, 32gb ram, 2x2tb SSD, RTX 2080 SUPER 8gb, GX-850 Gold PSU
Displays - ASUS ROG Strix XG43VQ 43” Super Ultra-Wide Curved HDR Gaming Monitor 120Hz (3840 x 1200)
Samsung CFG70 27" Curved gaming Monitor 144HZ (1920 x 1080)
2x 24" Dell Monitors
Controllers - T150 Pro, Side Panel, TrackIR7, TM Stick
Guil

Post by Guil »

Why does everyone say it's up to the modders of the mod ends up on console. I have seen at least 2 modders or people working with them saying this isn't the case, the modder ha no say whether it does or doesn't.
JohnDeere318

Post by JohnDeere318 »

Do you have proof of that Guil? The OP may want to know that. :)
My PC specs: Click Here (Google Doc) :gamer:

How to post your log.txt
PrincessJessi84

Guil wrote:Why does everyone say it's up to the modders of the mod ends up on console. I have seen at least 2 modders or people working with them saying this isn't the case, the modder ha no say whether it does or doesn't.
well ultimately it really is up to the MA.. they can choose not to upload to this site at all.. or if they do/have they can choose not to follow through with the requirements needed to get it onto consoles such as a lack of external scripts or even just simple texture issues.. many of them simply refuse to jump through the hoops giants has laid out before them.. so in the end if a MA doesn't want their work on console it is really easy to make sure it doesn't end up there and unless giants takes to task with finishing mods for people those mods will never see console under the current standard
PC
PC - Ryzen 7-2700 8core, 32gb ram, 2x2tb SSD, RTX 2080 SUPER 8gb, GX-850 Gold PSU
Displays - ASUS ROG Strix XG43VQ 43” Super Ultra-Wide Curved HDR Gaming Monitor 120Hz (3840 x 1200)
2x 24" Dell Monitors
eric21

Post by eric21 »

Guil wrote:Why does everyone say it's up to the modders of the mod ends up on console. I have seen at least 2 modders or people working with them saying this isn't the case, the modder ha no say whether it does or doesn't.
Because its what the modders say
Chainsawcrazy

Post by Chainsawcrazy »

Princessjessi84 you do realize that the major issue with mods is actually Sony and Microsoft. Giants it only part of the issue. Sony and Microsoft have laid down the rules so each console gets the same ****. If Microsoft allowed foreign script and Sony didn't then PS4 players would be pi**. They had to set amicable guidelines so each has the same.
PrincessJessi84

I know that its sony and Microsoft as I stated this above.. but in the end scripting is only part of the equation in the grand scheme of complications preventing lots of mods from coming to consoles.. but I will say that while keeping mods the same for both consoles makes it easier for giants it doesn't seem to do as u say and its not the consoles that decided to keep mods the same between two.. it was giants.. beth did the mods separately for the consoles in FO4 and ps4 users didn't get mad at xbox users or really even beth for that matter.. they got mad at sony.. they complained to sony.. and a sizable portion of them converted over to xbox.. in the end it got results from sony.. its what needs to happen here.. instead of getting on the forum and complaining to giants or mod authors or any of that they need to complain to sony and if they don't fix it then convert to pc or xbox.. once sony realizes that they r again dropping the ball and losing business they will change things.. yes Microsoft does have some rules but they r nowhere near as rigid in their stance as sony is and it needs to change.. all this proprietary sound format nonsense and paranoia about how insecure their system is holding their systems back and in the case of mods on a game like fs17 its holding both systems back as giants refuses to just let each have their own.. being on pc I don't really have a bias in the argument.. I can play with whatever mods I see fit.. but this is how I see it so do with it what u will
PC
2x 24" Dell Monitors
Guil

Post by Guil »

I know it's easy for a modder to make sure a mod doesn't end up on console but if they upload it to modhub then ultimately it's down to giants whether they put it on console or not. I've seen videos on YouTube where someone was doing a preview of the map and the modder told them they have no say if the mod goes to console or not. I'm nearly certain it was landykid and I think bulletbill said the same.
eric21

Post by eric21 »

Guil wrote:I know it's easy for a modder to make sure a mod doesn't end up on console but if they upload it to modhub then ultimately it's down to giants whether they put it on console or not. I've seen videos on YouTube where someone was doing a preview of the map and the modder told them they have no say if the mod goes to console or not. I'm nearly certain it was landykid and I think bulletbill said the same.
No giants ask them if they want thier mods to be on console or not. If you go look at the maps, some of them dont want to be on console
Guil

Post by Guil »

With respect Eric I'm going to listen to modders or a friend of a modder before I ever believe anything you say.

Let's not forget your previous posts saying 4real would never be on consoles.
Dorset_FS_UK

Post by Dorset_FS_UK »

Giants decide if a mod gets released on modhub as a PC mod.
Giants also decide if that same mod gets released on console BUT if the mod needs extra work done to it to be released on console then the MOD MAKER decides if they want to do this extra work.
If the mod maker decides they do not want to do this extra work then there mod does not make it to console.

It needs both Giants and the mod maker to make console mods happen.
In some cases its the mod maker who makes the final call as they need to do the extra work to make Giants decision happen.

My source of info is from one of the modding team speak Gaints do.
Also with one of my mods I uploaded, Giants asked me to change part of the mod so it was console friendly, I had to replace the 'buildingShader' with the 'vehicleShader' as the consoles do not like the 'buildingShader' doing this I had to adjust all of the image files as it changed the way the mod looked this involved extra work.

Here is also a post from two days ago from a mapper you might have heard of showing you the extra work that the mod maker has to do when he decided to release his mod for consoles. He could have easily decided that he did not want to do the extra work as you can see the PC version has been approved a while ago.

http://fs-uk.com/forum/index.php?topic= ... msg1264261

Gaints give the go ahead for console release but the MOD MAKER DECIDES if they want to do the extra work to make it happen.

I posted the above as I am one of the ones that keep's on saying that the mod maker decides if there mod gets released on console.
eric21

Post by eric21 »

Guil wrote:With respect Eric I'm going to listen to modders or a friend of a modder before I ever believe anything you say.

Let's not forget your previous posts saying 4real would never be on consoles.
I read alot of info esp from the guys at fs uk forum, the guys over there have good reputation on the modding side