Releasing modified versions of giants' mods

Your forum for all discussions around Modding.
theSeb

Releasing modified versions of giants' mods

Post by theSeb »

Hi,

We, along with many thousands of people, really enjoy the functionality of the crop destruction mod from Giants. However, the way it detects fruits (oil seed radish and grass in particular) is incompatible with a mod that we are working on. The change to fix the detection in CD is pretty trivial and we would like to release the modified version of this mod, but I am not quite clear if this is allowed on mod hub or not. We are not interested in royalties from this modified version of crop destruction. We just want to make sure that players can still use crop destruction with our upcoming mod.

Thoughts from Giants' employees on this please?

Also, from the community... has anybody modified a mod from Giants and released it on mod hub?
Smith Modding

Re: Releasing modified versions of giants' mods

Post by Smith Modding »

I know in FS15 that people would take giants mods and modify them. If you look at ModHub then you'll see modified versions of their pickups. As long as you give them credit I'm 90% sure you're allowed to do that. I would double check with an employee though just to make sure :hi:
Smith Modding Co.
Christian Based Modding
Isaiah 30:23- He will also send you rain for the seed you sow in the ground, and the food that comes from the land will be rich and plentiful. In that day your cattle will graze in broad meadows.:
Playing FS15-19 on PC
Playing too much FS19 :mrgreen:
Specs-
i5-7300HQ|NVIDIA GTX 1050ti|16GB DDR4 RAM|1TB/500GB SSD/256GB M.2|Windows 10
theSeb

Post by theSeb »

Brad_02 wrote:I know in FS15 that people would take giants mods and modify them. If you look at ModHub then you'll see modified versions of their pickups. As long as you give them credit I'm 90% sure you're allowed to do that. I would double check with an employee though just to make sure :hi:
Yeah, but that was using a giants model from within the game. This, I think, is somewhat different where I am taking a Giants mod and modifying it. It's similar, but different :)
Dogface

Post by Dogface »

theSeb wrote:has anybody modified a mod from Giants and released it on mod hub?
There are a lot of modded versions of GIANTs objects in the modhub. They seem to not like mods that are just minor tweaks to the original though.
Smith Modding

Post by Smith Modding »

Dogface wrote:
There are a lot of modded versions of GIANTs objects in the modhub. They seem to not like mods that are just minor tweaks to the original though.
I would say as long as you give them credit and make more than a minor tweak (say, making the crop bend left instead of right, etc) than you're good. Can't wait to see your map when it's done :hi:
Smith Modding Co.
Christian Based Modding
Isaiah 30:23- He will also send you rain for the seed you sow in the ground, and the food that comes from the land will be rich and plentiful. In that day your cattle will graze in broad meadows.:
Playing FS15-19 on PC
Playing too much FS19 :mrgreen:
Specs-
i5-7300HQ|NVIDIA GTX 1050ti|16GB DDR4 RAM|1TB/500GB SSD/256GB M.2|Windows 10
masseyharris

Post by masseyharris »

I think if it's not too much work, you should go ahead and make the mod and upload it - when you submit it, you can explain the situation in the comments box which they will read. They will then either accept or reject the mod, but no harm done.

If it's not possible, maybe an alternative is to give us instructions on what needs to be amended & we can make the changes ourselves especially if it's only minor changes?
TSM

Post by TSM »

as long as its not a paid for DLC I would say you would be ok to go ahead.
theSeb

Post by theSeb »

Brad_02 wrote:
Dogface wrote:
I would say as long as you give them credit and make more than a minor tweak (say, making the crop bend left instead of right, etc) than you're good. Can't wait to see your map when it's done :hi:
It's not a map. It's our Seasons mod that conflicts with Crop destruction, due to the way CD is identifying the fruits based on min/max harvest stage. The seasons mod overwrites these values. To make CD compatible I have changed the way it detects fruits like grass and oil seed radish to make it more robust.
theSeb

Post by theSeb »

masseyharris wrote:I think if it's not too much work, you should go ahead and make the mod and upload it - when you submit it, you can explain the situation in the comments box which they will read. They will then either accept or reject the mod, but no harm done.

If it's not possible, maybe an alternative is to give us instructions on what needs to be amended & we can make the changes ourselves especially if it's only minor changes?
Yes, instructions are possible, but not ideal, especially for those people that are not comfortable with making minor tweaks to mods.
Dogface

Post by Dogface »

I would bundle the two as a mod-pack. Put a short note about conflict in modDesc for players. Giants will not mind the fact that you tweaked the CD mod. They probably will mind that two mods on modhub conflict with each other. Cross fingers.
theSeb

Post by theSeb »

Never mind. I resolved the problem by overwriting the function from within our mod, therefore did not have to copy the entire Giants mod.