Completely stuck with mod conversion, abandon my mod?

Your forum for all discussions around Modding.
strat83

Completely stuck with mod conversion, abandon my mod?

Post by strat83 »

I really need some help. The last 24 months i've worked on a big complicated mod, that would bring wine making to FS. Not simply plant grapes et voila wine, but very intricate with timers, scripts, quality variables, prefab artwork with permission for usage etc. You would have needed to do every step in wine making yourselves (planting grapes, making barrels, blend wines, ageing, grand cru's, even branding). I intended to start with French wines first (Simply because i have to most knowledge about those wines) and in the future adding more wines and wine countries.

Everything is placeable or buyable, so it could have being used on any map and only UPK as dependency.

But last week I got a bit of a shocker, because I switched to FS17 only last week. This because I didn't really expect that many changes and didn't really feel like converting right away to become a defacto bugfixer. I have to admit that I nowadays, always wait for a month or six after release, before buying a game. I simply don't have the time for bugfixing any more. Why? My own company, young family, and all that jazz.

So i've just switched to FS17, changed the header of the xmlfile of my mod as per usual and my heart dropped when I saw the logfile. I started to do some reading up and I suspect that my whole mod is broken beyond repair...

I've used UPK to an extent that I think the developer didn't expect it to be used, by using a network of timers with a little bit of mathematics. So every grape, juice, wine was added through registering the filltype through UPK. But UPK doesn't support it's own filltypes any more in FS17 and this is now done only by FS? Could someone please confirm?

Because if I need to replace all the juices, grapes and wines to the FS format and fill in (make up) the variables, I wouldn't be done for weeks, that taught really de-motivates me. I even suspect that it's just the tip of the iceberg, because everything is based on UPK variables not FS variables. If that is true, I would need to reopen every file I made and read/alter hundreds lines of code. Stopping nothing short of a complete redesign/rewrite of my complete mod, recalculate equations, because it's all based on UPK filltype and scripts that relate to the UPK in that instance. So every script needs to be rewriten too, if my thoughts are correct....

I simply don't know where to start, if i'm honest I don't think it's possible to finish my mod for FS17 and it makes me very glum. Even if I would finish my mod i'm afraid it would be nothing short of a complete rewrite and i'm not motivated to rewrite this whole mod. It was meant as a labour of love, not a labour of frustration. I'm afraid that, the rewrite will simply not happen. So unless some one has some good suggestions to fix my current code without it taking me weeks, i'm going to abandon this mod.

(I won't publish my w.i.p. and project files, if I publish it would only be the complete mod in a finished stage, because I don't want to give support/documentation, simply because of a lack of time)
mountaincowboy

Re: Completely stuck with mod conversion, abandon my mod?

Post by mountaincowboy »

Oh wow, that project or yours sounds absolutely amazing! I'm no modder by any means but I have read alot of what the modders are going through esp when converting from FS15 to fs17, there are alot of knowledgeable modders that frequent this forum that will be happy to help you and understand your frustrations.
Playing in Pacific Northwest (NE Oregon) on Xbox One and PC.
Hairy Bob

Re: Completely stuck with mod conversion, abandon my mod?

Post by Hairy Bob »

If you haven't already, it might be worth reaching out to the community on the fsuk forums, there seems to be a lot more modders over there than players, they might be able to help you out.
Farming Kandelin and Pellworm on pc