Seasons mod.

Your forum for all discussions around Modding.
Garion

Re: Seasons mod.

Post by Garion »

So I stayed up waaaaaay too late playing with this mod last night and all I can say is I'm speechless. This is a complete game changer and I am pulling for you guys to win, but even if you don't I hope GIANTS can work something out with you guys to put this in the game for all platforms. In my opinion everyone should have access to this mod it's so amazing and to think it isn't even done yet, I can't wait to see what you do next! BTW one thing I noticed last night. It snowed in spring, which the snow texture is really cool btw I had fun slip sliding around with the tractors lol, but I tried placing a placeable seed tank and it wouldn't let me untill the snow melted, which was only a couple hours later. Is it supposed to be like that or is that a bug? Amazing job guys keep up the good work! :hi: *thumbsup*
Farming on PC *thumbsup* and PS4 :biggrin2:
theSeb

Post by theSeb »

Garion wrote:So I stayed up waaaaaay too late playing with this mod last night and all I can say is I'm speechless. This is a complete game changer and I am pulling for you guys to win, but even if you don't I hope GIANTS can work something out with you guys to put this in the game for all platforms. In my opinion everyone should have access to this mod it's so amazing and to think it isn't even done yet, I can't wait to see what you do next! BTW one thing I noticed last night. It snowed in spring, which the snow texture is really cool btw I had fun slip sliding around with the tractors lol, but I tried placing a placeable seed tank and it wouldn't let me untill the snow melted, which was only a couple hours later. Is it supposed to be like that or is that a bug? Amazing job guys keep up the good work! :hi: *thumbsup*
Thanks. It is working as expected because we don't paint snow over where placeable objects are. Therefore you will not be able to place anything until the snow melts. (The builders are probably on holiday when it's too cold :D )
Drmattymd wrote:The map is Cherry Hills and I haven't done any modification to it but it was an existing save
We'll take a look at this map when we have a moment. Thanks for the report. We do highly recommend to start a new save game, but your problem sounds very odd to me.
Irish farmer 91

Post by Irish farmer 91 »

How long does each season last ?
Playing on Ps4
DrunkFarmer

Post by DrunkFarmer »

Such a game changer. Prior to this I had the seasons display and growth manager, and I thought that was 'comprehensive' and a great way to add some structure to the sim. What you've done has me scribbling notes and actually figuring out a budget and a plan for the year. After one session it's truly unimaginable to ever farm without the mod you've built.

Too soon to offer any real tips or constructive criticism. I saw earlier in the thread you mentioned regional climates, and that's something I really look forward to. Sub-categorizing it even further and having fog in the hollows and gusting clouds on the heights would be so next level.

Any thoughts of bringing in some of the old soil mod functionalities and having rain count as some sort of fertilizer cycle or growth modifier? Irrigation, natural and artificial is what I'm thinking, perhaps.

Either way, you've made a masterpiece. No way you don't win this thing.

Thank you so much for adding this to our farms.

Cheers -

-W
Rahkiin
Former GIANTS employee

Post by Rahkiin »

Garion wrote:I tried placing a placeable seed tank and it wouldn't let me untill the snow melted, which was only a couple hours later. Is it supposed to be like that or is that a bug? Amazing job guys keep up the good work! :hi: *thumbsup*
This is not a bug nor a feature, per se. This is in the game: you can't place buildings where material is tipped. Snow is just tipped material.
Instead of waiting for the snow to melt, you have to move it away first. So if you clear the area for the building, you can place it.

A season lasts, by default, 9 days. You can set it to 3, 6, 9 or 12 days.
chaskuchar1

Post by chaskuchar1 »

ok, I finally got to the first of summer and the canola and barley turned ripe so I want to harvest it and plant corn and beans. however the combine, original one with kleintau but a 9m header on it will not harvest barley or canola. I am at a loss as to what to do now. chas
60 acres with center pivot. jmj
playing fs22 on pc, hard mode
Garion

Post by Garion »

Rahkiin wrote:
Garion wrote:I tried placing a placeable seed tank and it wouldn't let me untill the snow melted, which was only a couple hours later. Is it supposed to be like that or is that a bug? Amazing job guys keep up the good work! :hi: *thumbsup*
This is not a bug nor a feature, per se. This is in the game: you can't place buildings where material is tipped. Snow is just tipped material.
Instead of waiting for the snow to melt, you have to move it away first. So if you clear the area for the building, you can place it.
Haha didn't even think about pushing the snow. I guess staying up 23 hrs has it's draw backs but I just couldn't pull myself away. :lol: Like I said guys, you have created a truly amazing mod keep up the good work. *thumbsup*
Farming on PC *thumbsup* and PS4 :biggrin2:
theSeb

Post by theSeb »

chaskuchar1 wrote:ok, I finally got to the first of summer and the canola and barley turned ripe so I want to harvest it and plant corn and beans. however the combine, original one with kleintau but a 9m header on it will not harvest barley or canola. I am at a loss as to what to do now. chas
Look in the growth overview (Esc menu) you will see that the crops are not harvestable, it may look like it in terms of textures, but it isn't and still needs more time to mature. Canola will not be harvestable until late summer at the earliest. The game's growth overview will confirm this for you :) and also you can check in the Seasons menu (Alt + S) which shows the harvest and planting calendar.

Also, in the Esc menu help, there is a Seasons manual, which explains all of this in more detail. Have fun farming.

theSeb

Post by theSeb »

DrunkFarmer wrote:Such a game changer. Prior to this I had the seasons display and growth manager, and I thought that was 'comprehensive' and a great way to add some structure to the sim. What you've done has me scribbling notes and actually figuring out a budget and a plan for the year. After one session it's truly unimaginable to ever farm without the mod you've built.

Too soon to offer any real tips or constructive criticism. I saw earlier in the thread you mentioned regional climates, and that's something I really look forward to. Sub-categorizing it even further and having fog in the hollows and gusting clouds on the heights would be so next level.

Any thoughts of bringing in some of the old soil mod functionalities and having rain count as some sort of fertilizer cycle or growth modifier? Irrigation, natural and artificial is what I'm thinking, perhaps.

Cheers -

-W
Thank you so much for the kind words. You are the type of player who we created this mod for. In FS13 I used to edit the crops growth duration and pretend I had seasons. In FS15 I used to switch off growth at appropriate times and pretend I had seasons. In FS17 I decided it was time to implement Seasons.

We have been in touch with D.Ecker (the creator of Soil Mod about some type of compatibility but we do have some of our own interesting ideas for the future releases of this mod. I don't want to give too much away, but we are thinking of rotating some things and some stuff will need compacting definitely for a much more organic growth of this mod
chaskuchar1

Post by chaskuchar1 »

I wasted a whole year of farming... sad. I guess I should look at some other mods... oh well... chas

we do have winter wheat here that is planted in the fall, harvested early summer and plant sunflowers for a fall crop. chas
Last edited by chaskuchar1 on Sat Jun 10, 2017 9:43 pm, edited 1 time in total.
60 acres with center pivot. jmj
playing fs22 on pc, hard mode
DrunkFarmer

Post by DrunkFarmer »

theSeb wrote:
DrunkFarmer wrote:Such a game changer. Prior to this I had the seasons display and growth manager, and I thought that was 'comprehensive' and a great way to add some structure to the sim. What you've done has me scribbling notes and actually figuring out a budget and a plan for the year. After one session it's truly unimaginable to ever farm without the mod you've built.

Cheers -

-W
Thank you so much for the kind words. You are the type of player who we created this mod for. In FS13 I used to edit the crops growth duration and pretend I had seasons. In FS15 I used to switch off growth at appropriate times and pretend I had seasons. In FS17 I decided it was time to implement Seasons.

We have been in touch with D.Ecker (the creator of Soil Mod about some type of compatibility but we do have some of our own interesting ideas for the future releases of this mod. I don't want to give too much away, but we are thinking of rotating some things and some stuff will need compacting definitely for a much more organic growth of this mod

Can't wait!

Now my wheels are turning and I'm thinking of how random weather gens could offer incredible challenges. Seasonal variances in the price and availability of irrigation water, and a farmer has to calculate whether it's worth it to bank water in the spring or count on rain in the summer. All the more so if water 'evaporates' over time and will be gone before the next season if it's not used. Replicating the risks and uncertainties of IRL farming.

Also, a question. Have you tweaked the economics at all? It seems like operation expenses have gone up, and crop prices have gone down. I like it, as it moves us further away from the million dollar silage pits and $20K trees of FS15.

-W
theSeb

Post by theSeb »

chaskuchar1 wrote:I wasted a whole year of farming... sad. I guess I should look at some other mods... oh well... chas

we do have winter wheat here that is planted in the fall, harvested early summer and plant sunflowers for a fall crop. chas
Wheat planted in the autumn will be ready in late summer. Growth in the mod is based loosely on England. This is all customisable too and easily be changed to suit what players are used to in their own region.

Edit to add screenshot of planting/harvesting calendar (your colours may look different since I have colour blind mode on)

Last edited by theSeb on Sat Jun 10, 2017 9:57 pm, edited 4 times in total.
theSeb

Post by theSeb »

DrunkFarmer wrote:

Can't wait!

Now my wheels are turning and I'm thinking of how random weather gens could offer incredible challenges. Seasonal variances in the price and availability of irrigation water, and a farmer has to calculate whether it's worth it to bank water in the spring or count on rain in the summer. All the more so if water 'evaporates' over time and will be gone before the next season if it's not used. Replicating the risks and uncertainties of IRL farming.

Also, a question. Have you tweaked the economics at all? It seems like operation expenses have gone up, and crop prices have gone down. I like it, as it moves us further away from the million dollar silage pits and $20K trees of FS15.

-W
Yes, we made many changes to the economics. As long as you keep your equipment and vehicles clean and vehicles maintained you should not be paying too much. Sell prices are modelled based on real life data, so stuff like wheat will be lowest during the harvest (late summer and autumn) and prices are highest during the winter.
Case1370

Post by Case1370 »

theSeb wrote:

Cheers -

-W

Thats how I have played the game, by switching growth states on and using the season mod display just to have some type of simulation structure to real life.

I was wondering will Bank of Hagenstedt mod work with your seasons mod? I know you put financial stuff in your mod, so Im guessing it would conflict with BOH, unfortunately, I like being able to rent land as we do IRL. Plus when I typically start a new map I sell most fields off and start right close to the main farm in purchasing land, so it would be nice to be able to use BOH for this. Thanks
theSeb

Post by theSeb »

Case1370 wrote:

Thats how I have played the game, by switching growth states on and using the season mod display just to have some type of simulation structure to real life.

I was wondering will Bank of Hagenstedt mod work with your seasons mod? I know you put financial stuff in your mod, so Im guessing it would conflict with BOH, unfortunately, I like being able to rent land as we do IRL. Plus when I typically start a new map I sell most fields off and start right close to the main farm in purchasing land, so it would be nice to be able to use BOH for this. Thanks
I checked BOH to make sure it was recognising the Seasons adjust max loan amount and that was working. I didn't try lease fields, but I see no reason why it would not work considering our code. Give it a try and let me know if you spot any problems. We will try to fix what we can, even if we have to inject code into BOH