Seasons and maps / mods compatibility

Your forum for all discussions around Modding.
theSeb

Seasons and maps / mods compatibility

Post by theSeb »

Seasons has been designed to be a good citizen as far as possible, but it is not possible to test with every mod and every map.

About 90% of the features have been implemented in a way so that they will function on any map. Unfortunately, the other 10% is the visual stuff, which may have some problems on certain maps.

There are two types of compatibility issues that a player could experience
1. Texture glitches or texture swapping not working for a season
2. Maps with certain scripts built into them

Texture Glitches or texture swapping not working
This happens because the map is using trees from previous versions of Farming Simulator, or trees which are not Giants objects.

Maps with certain scripts

There could be some maps which have scripts that are incompatible with the Seasons mod. But more importantly, there are maps which have scripts which actually conflict with other maps in your mod folder. This isn’t an issue specific to Seasons, because even without Seasons you will have trouble. If you are using a mod map, then make sure to deselect all other maps in the mod selection screen. I suspect that some people complaining about issues with maps in the mod contest are having this particular problem.

Both of these can be resolved, so we encourage map makers and modders to make contact with us - we have our own Slack so join us for a chat (https://slack.realismusmodding.com/)

As long as the map is using Giants FS17 trees, then the texture swapping will work correctly, but you will only get one layer of snow once it snows for long enough in the winter. This can be changed in the Seasons menu (Alt + S) for a map without a Seasons mask, but we default to 1 layer only for technical reasons.

This screenshot is from Gemeinde Rade, a map on the mod hub without any "Seasons" changes. You will see that the tree textures are working correctly, but this map also has custom hedges, which do not change. It is however possible for a map maker to create the seasonal textures and using a simple xml file in their map tell the Seasons mod which ones to use when.

To be fully Seasons compatible, map makers should add the Seasons mask to their map. Apart from the Seasons mask and textures, the map maker can also easily modify the growth patterns (harvesting and planting), the weather, the economy and the animal parameters to better suit the locale their map represents. We have also added a feature which we call admirers for sounds and objects. This allows the map maker to, for example, disable bird sounds or have a frozen pond in the winter

More info can be found here https://www.realismusmodding.com/mods/s ... map-makers.

As you can imagine, the mod contest deadline puts things under pressure, so the documentation for map makers is not as complete as it could be. But we are working to improve it as fast as we can. If you have any questions, then come give us a shout on Slack.

We are still working on compiling a list of maps and mods which are compatible and which have issues, but please report any problems that you experience. We will try to fix them if we can.

What does it take for a map to be "Seasoned" (thanks BulletBill83 for this term). It's more than just a Seasons mask, but another user said it best already so I shall quote him
Stoatie wrote: A snow mask isn't the only thing I feel makes a map "seasoned", it's things like having the hedge textures change with the season as they do in Dusty Cove. Lakes and ponds that will freeze in winter, bluebells only flowering in spring and other things. Not just snow doesn't appear in buildings any more.
Last edited by theSeb on Sun Jun 11, 2017 10:38 pm, edited 3 times in total.
theSeb

Re: Seasons and maps / mods compatibility

Post by theSeb »

You can also help and let us know about working and non-working maps or mods. To simplify testing we have a few console commands in the mod. To test textures, open the console and type in ssSetVisualSeason <season> where <season> is spring, summer, autumn or winter. Do this standing in front of non-evergreen trees and see if the textures change

e.g.

Code: Select all

ssSetVisualSeason winter 
To check if the Seasons mask is present stand in front of a shed and type ssAddSnow in the console.

Compatibility Summary (wip)

Code: Select all

**Mods confirmed to work**
- Follow Me
- Courseplay
- Glance
- VehicleGroupSwitcher
- Proseed
- AIVehicleExtension
- Giants 4Real modules
- Working Toolbox
- GPS
- Drive Control
- More Realistic (MR)
- Gearbox Addon
- Chopped Straw
- Buy Bales
- Manure mod
- FBP3135 Toggle Wrapper
- Animal Table Manners
- Combine AddOn
- KUHN DLC
- External Account
- Big Bud DLC

**Maps optimised for Seasons**
- Dusty Cove
- Lossberg
- Sunny Farm (map has errors in log, but not related to Seasons mod)
- FS17 Blickling V3
- Inntal v3.5
- Watts farm
- Great Country v1.8 (unknown whether all texture replacements works - released as Seasons mod comp)
- FS17 Lonestar v2.0

**Maps not optimised for Seasons but working fine**
- Gold Crest Valley (uses Giants' trees, texture swaps work fine, one layer of snow)
- Sosnovka (uses Giants' trees, texture swaps work fine, one layer of snow)
- Westbridge Hills
- Gemeinde Rade (uses Giants' trees, texture swaps work fine, one layer of snow)
- Loess Hill Country / Losshugelland (uses Giants' trees, texture swaps work fine, one layer of snow)
- Cherry Hills 2017 (uses Giants' trees, texture swaps work fine, one layer of snow)
- Dreistern Hof or Three-Star Hof (uses Giants' trees, texture swaps work fine, one layer of snow)
- RattleSnake Valley V2 (no texture swaps since no std trees,  but no glitches either)
- giantsIsland09- no snow mask and some trees do change when using the console command ssSetVisualSeason, snow falls in winter
- Farming Legend- no snow mask and the trees do *not* change when using the console command ssSetVisualSeason, snow falls in winter
- Gorale- no snow mask and some trees do change when using the console command ssSetVisualSeason, snow falls in winter
- Fichtelberg- no snow mask and some trees do change when using the console command ssSetVisualSeason, snow falls in winter
- Kleinhau- no snow mask and some trees do change when using the console command ssSetVisualSeason, snow falls in winter
- Mustang Valley - no glitches, but also no texture changes
- Slovak Village - no glitches, and most textures change - except the map edges
- The Moris Land

**Mods with issues**
- Difficulties Improve by TyKonKet
- Lely Juno 150 (fills up with snow and cannot be unloaded, works ok when snow is not on the ground)
- repairVehicles (Seasons has its own repair and maintenance system)
- Goweil LT Master (Baler is not detected, silage bales will instantly be fully fermented)
- Krone Ultima CF 155 XC (Baler is not detected, silage bales will instantly be fully fermented)
- Game Extension (all functionality works except when game extension is set to change time scale during night and Seasons' skip night functionality is used, then game is buggy and night is not skipped and time during day is faster)
- BGA Extension (issues in multiplayer reported)
- mCompanyMod_Grid by kevink98

**Maps with issues**
- Old Streams Farm (texture replacement problem - fix WIP by BsM)
- Ballymoon (texture replacement problem)
- Agri OC (most of the trees and bushes are not replaced )
- Terra Italica (texture replacement problem and not possible to install snow mask for some reason)
- Kernstadt (texture replacement problem, but released with snow mask)
- Pleasant Valley v2

**Mods with possible issues**
Do not load multiple map mods. Only load the map you are using!

- Any mod that manipulates the weather, e.g. Multi overlay hud
- Any mod that manipulates growth
- Any mod that changes animals
- Any 'season manager' type mods
- Some animal cleaning mods may not work correctly, especially during the winter
- Any mod with terrainControl.lua (maybe, needs further checking)
- Bank of Hagenstadt (if you borrow money through the game, and not BOH, it doesn't read it for whatever reason, and you get charged no interest at the end of the day - needs further checking)
 - Darker Night (as Seasons overwrites the daylight values of the Darker Night mod - to be fixed in Seasons)
Last edited by theSeb on Mon Jun 26, 2017 9:34 pm, edited 14 times in total.
kwaka

Post by kwaka »

Not sure if related to seasons mod but having problems with Account mod when online and using Dusty cove map.
Maybe something in the economy side of things maybe?
Like I said....not sure it has anything to do with seasons yat and not had time to retest without seasons on as love the mod.
theSeb

Post by theSeb »

kwaka wrote:Not sure if related to seasons mod but having problems with Account mod when online and using Dusty cove map.
Maybe something in the economy side of things maybe?
Like I said....not sure it has anything to do with seasons yat and not had time to retest without seasons on as love the mod.
Account mod? Can you share a link to this, or are you talking about Bank of Hagenstadt?

Edit: Never mind, I found the mod
Stoatie

Post by Stoatie »

Arrghhhh quoteception.
uofmtigertim

Post by uofmtigertim »

Love the Seasons mod. The only thing I would like to see is an option to disable the repair of vehicles. It is a neat feature but for a solo player like myself with a large farm and a lot of equipment the repairing becomes tedious.
ThaFarmer

Post by ThaFarmer »

I'd like to know if it's compatible with the "CSZ set", especially with the "blade-style" shovel...
Metal Moss

Post by Metal Moss »

Just played seasons with old streams farm latest version, and there were tree issues, so just saw an update for Lossberg to work with seasons. Going to use that one. Kinda nice going back to a map I used on console a while back.
StoneC0ld

Post by StoneC0ld »

Not sure whether to call it a mod conflict, or if the Seasons mod just overrides it, but the Dark Night mod seems to not function with Seasons mod. Nighttime with the Dark Night mod should be pitch black, but with Seasons mod, nighttime is about as bright as the stock nighttime.
theSeb

Post by theSeb »

uofmtigertim wrote:Love the Seasons mod. The only thing I would like to see is an option to disable the repair of vehicles. It is a neat feature but for a solo player like myself with a large farm and a lot of equipment the repairing becomes tedious.
It's something that we may look into, maybe switch it off on easy, or something like that. Unfortunately maintaining your fleet is a large part of a farmer's life.
ThaFarmer wrote:I'd like to know if it's compatible with the "CSZ set", especially with the "blade-style" shovel...
It should be. Try it out and let us know.
Metal Moss wrote:Just played seasons with old streams farm latest version, and there were tree issues, so just saw an update for Lossberg to work with seasons. Going to use that one. Kinda nice going back to a map I used on console a while back.
Yes, that map uses trees from FS15, which causes issues for Seasons. BsM are updating the map right now. *thumbsup*
StoneC0ld wrote:Not sure whether to call it a mod conflict, or if the Seasons mod just overrides it, but the Dark Night mod seems to not function with Seasons mod. Nighttime with the Dark Night mod should be pitch black, but with Seasons mod, nighttime is about as bright as the stock nighttime.
Yes, Seasons mod will override it. We've changed stuff like when the sun rises and sets based on the set latitude (this can be changed by map makers) and this is continuously adjusted to suit the seasons. (longer days summer, short days in winter etc). Nights do seem a bit light, so we have two issues/enhancements open to address it in the future.
reallogger

Post by reallogger »

uofmtigertim wrote:Love the Seasons mod. The only thing I would like to see is an option to disable the repair of vehicles. It is a neat feature but for a solo player like myself with a large farm and a lot of equipment the repairing becomes tedious.
You might find that using the working toolbox mod makes the maintenace of machinery much easier. Put it in your pickup and drive around doing maintenance twice a year. :)
https://www.farming-simulator.com/mod.p ... d_id=78180
hpmc13

Post by hpmc13 »

Here's one to add to the Maps not optimised for Seasons but working fine list:

Dreistern Hof or Three-Star Hof

I get season changes - and there are a LOT of non-evergreen trees; autumn is gorgeous - and got it to snow. There's no snow layer, but I didn't expect one. Seems to work just fine.
Playing on PC
Garion

Post by Garion »

Curious :confusednew: what would need to be done to WBH to make it completely optimized for seasons? I'm currently making a edited map of it for myself and I would like to be able to fully use seasons with it. :wink:
Farming on PC *thumbsup* and PS4 :biggrin2:
Mr_Mazzon

Post by Mr_Mazzon »

:neutralnew:
Garion wrote:Curious :confusednew: what would need to be done to WBH to make it completely optimized for seasons? I'm currently making a edited map of it for myself and I would like to be able to fully use seasons with it. :wink:
I think you just have to edit SnowMask in (guide in 1st post link) and your set. If you want to be over the top do weather xml.
theSeb

Post by theSeb »

hpmc13 wrote:Here's one to add to the Maps not optimised for Seasons but working fine list:

Dreistern Hof or Three-Star Hof

I get season changes - and there are a LOT of non-evergreen trees; autumn is gorgeous - and got it to snow. There's no snow layer, but I didn't expect one. Seems to work just fine.
Thanks for the report. I'll update the list
Mr_Mazzon wrote::neutralnew:
Garion wrote:Curious :confusednew: what would need to be done to WBH to make it completely optimized for seasons? I'm currently making a edited map of it for myself and I would like to be able to fully use seasons with it. :wink:
I think you just have to edit SnowMask in (guide in 1st post link) and your set. If you want to be over the top do weather xml.
And you could also modify growth and economy and others. But yes, you are quite right.