How to change mass of a tractor or implement mod?

Your forum for all discussions around Modding.
DirectCedar

How to change mass of a tractor or implement mod?

Post by DirectCedar »

Is there a place in the .xml file where you can change total mass and/or centre of mass of a tractor or implement?

Specifically I am using a JD 4850 tractor mod that does everything I expect it should when hooked to every implement but one. I have another mod of a 4m Lemken Dolomit plow with a 4m Lemken Zirkon power harrow behind it. In real life a 4850 should handle this combination. In game, it picks it up but barely and there is not enough weight on the front wheels and steering in transport is then incredibly squirrelly. With the implement down it handles it fine.

There is no front linkage on the 4850 otherwise I would just pick up a weight. The model (like the real 4850) has cast suitcase weights in the front. I am suspicious either the weight of the tractor is not specified correctly in the mod, or the front/rear weight distribution is not correct, or either the Dolomit or Zirkon models are heavier than is realistic.

I've been poking at the .xml files of all three but can't find an obvious way to correct this. Any pointers what I should be looking for? Thanks in advance.
thunderhawk

Re: How to change mass of a tractor or implement mod?

Post by thunderhawk »

well Center of mass is in xml file at bottom normally looks like this

Code: Select all

<components count="1">
        <component1 centerOfMass="-0.00 0.70 -1.74" solverIterationCount="4"/>
    </components>

The 3 positions indicates X Y Z translation go to mod and click main part of mod and move forward and backward to see which is front to rear trans its normally Z and 0 would be dead even center of mass
X is side to side trans
Y is vertical
Not sure what to tell you to set it on cause i dont know what its set on default as is but negitive and the number would transfer weight to front say its 0 now now try it at -0.50 to start then fine tune it as needed to get what you are looking for

And mod mass can be adjusted in GE by Clicking on main trans group the whole mod them going to the atributes window and clicking on the rigid body tab now mass can be changed by adjusting the Density say it at 0.8 turn it up to 1.2 and try it again this is going to take time makeing changes trying it in game then readjusting again till you get to Desired setup but try center of mass first if the tractor has the proper overall mass you will just need to shift some weight forwards

Note Remember to always save after your changes and always make sure camera is always behind mod close to where it was when you started edit if it not set behind tractor the outdoor camera will be screwed up in game
Dell XPS 720 Intel Core 2 Quad Extreme 3.0ghz
Liquid cooled with a 120mm x 240mm radiator twin 120mm cooler master SickleFlow fans
Nvidia GTX 660ti
Patch 1.4.4 Windows 7 home
Playing through a Sanyo 50" tv
Aranea

Re: How to change mass of a tractor or implement mod?

Post by Aranea »

the way i would go for this kind of problem is to check the weight of the implements and the tractor, are they all about realistic?

if so you could look into the center of mass - like thunderhawk explained - but i would generally not touch it unless it is really out of place.
keep in mind that the center of mass in the .xml is giving the coordinates with the component of the tractor not being moved, meaning the translation values on the main component should always be 0 0 0 and the center of mass can then be calculated with an empty transformGroup for example by moving this into a spot where the CoM should be.

at least for me, i would not just go in there and crank the weight of the tractor up to redicilous. i prefer a nearly realistic weight-value for all machines,
also keep in mind that the integrated frontweight (if you dont buy the front-linkage config) has no influence on the weight, same as wheel-weights they are just cosmetic
if you want a front weight, which has weight on its own, you need an attachable weight block of any kind, to counter balance the rear implements.
MfG
die Spinne :hi:
FS modder & scripter
quality modding and support since 2012
viewtopic.php?f=884&t=115656