'Bad' mod sites

Your forum for all discussions around Modding.
BlackThumb

Re: 'Bad' mod sites

Post by BlackThumb »

n0tr3adY wrote:99% of people don't care where are they downloading from. The only important thing for them : "I want to download NOW" ...
That may well be true, but kiddie's do what kiddie's want to do, this topic is aimed at those that 'play' FS17 for what it is supposed to be, a Farming Simulator, not a Kiddie Fantasyland.

Therefore we will keep posting the good sites here and try to steer people away from the 'rubbish/crapola' sites.

Cheers
Aging disgracefully and taking nothing with me!!!!
Yelibam

Post by Yelibam »

BlackThumb wrote: Sat Jul 01, 2017 4:08 am The list has now changed to "Good" mod sites, and I believe those should NOT be hidden in a spoiler as they deserve the recognition of being a 'real mod' site as they are sticking to the Farming Sim essence;
Very glad to see this here - well done for your work on it. We have a similar list over at FS-UK, and they match up pretty well.
https://www.fs-uk.com/forum/index.php?topic=183261.0

You have one site on your list that I would question:
BlackThumb wrote: Sat Jul 01, 2017 4:08 amFS17 Mods ***
We consider this to be yet another 'aggregation' site with mods taken from other sites (including ModHub) and re-uploaded there, presumably without permission. This means that those authors are missing out on download numbers from ModHub, while the rogue sites are making money from advertising. We'd like to work with the whole FS community to stamp out such mod 'theft' and so I would like to suggest that FS17 Mods is removed from your list.

The two sites you have within the spoiler are equally bad, and I wonder if it is wise to mention them at all?

Many thanks. Yelibam, Manager of FS-UK
BlackThumb

Post by BlackThumb »

Yelibam wrote: Sat Dec 16, 2017 8:36 pm You have one site on your list that I would question:
BlackThumb wrote: Sat Jul 01, 2017 4:08 amFS17 Mods ***
We consider this to be yet another 'aggregation' site with mods taken from other sites (including ModHub) and re-uploaded there, presumably without permission. This means that those authors are missing out on download numbers from ModHub, while the rogue sites are making money from advertising. We'd like to work with the whole FS community to stamp out such mod 'theft' and so I would like to suggest that FS17 Mods is removed from your list.

The two sites you have within the spoiler are equally bad, and I wonder if it is wise to mention them at all?

Many thanks. Yelibam, Manager of FS-UK
Thanks very much for the kind words and like you (and your members on your site), I also think it's worth spreading the word about 'bad' FS sites, hence the reason this topic started.

I have removed that site from the list, because as you mentioned they put up anything without checking if it is 'authentic' and will let 'stolen' mods on their site, secondly, the KKK (Kiddie Krap Kreep) has set in and more and more ridiculuous mods are being shown. I tend to have OCD with this game and check most mods with the manufacturers site, and if they are too ridiculuously 'over-powered' I don't bother wasting my bandwidth to download.

Lastly, can I include your 'approved' (can't think of the right word) links to good sites which don't appear here? I believe that the more this gets discussed, hopefully, people will steer away from this sites and the 'ad-riddled sites' will die a natural death and disappear from view.

Cheers :hi:
Yelibam

Post by Yelibam »

Yes please do include any others we have. The more we can do to promote the good sites the better.

There are two sites on our list that are inactive or closed and need removing.
BlackThumb

Post by BlackThumb »

Yelibam wrote: Sun Dec 17, 2017 11:01 am Yes please do include any others we have. The more we can do to promote the good sites the better.

There are two sites on our list that are inactive or closed and need removing.
Thanks much for that, I have added 2 only and given my reasons why the others didn't make it on the list. BUT, if people want to check them I have included your topic link so 'less obsessively secure' :chinese: people can visit them and check them out themselves.

Hairy Bob

Post by Hairy Bob »

I've downloaded quite a few mods from fs17 dot lt lately, after seeing it recommended here, and about half of them are broken, in that they have vital files like the vehicle/moddesc.xml missing. In some cases the zip file simply contains empty folders within folders! The size of these files does not correspond to what is displayed at the download link.
I've also noticed that there are several links to download mods taken from Giant's modhub. They seem to give credit to the mod author, but direct you to sites like uploadfiles to download.
Has anyone else had similar experiences with this site?
Farming Kandelin and Pellworm on pc
FordFarmer97

Post by FordFarmer97 »

^^ That's a dang shame, they have some legit stuff on there!
Tryin to make a 9700 Ford mod, one of these days
#LimeGreenPower
Playin on PC in Tennessee!
John 3:16: "For God so loved the world he gave his only begotten son, that whovever shall believeth in him shall not perish, but have everlasting life"
Old Iron Best Iron.
PM me for a Discord link.
BlackThumb

Post by BlackThumb »

Hairy Bob wrote: Mon Dec 18, 2017 9:10 am I've downloaded quite a few mods from fs17 dot lt lately, after seeing it recommended here, and about half of them are broken, in that they have vital files like the vehicle/moddesc.xml missing. In some cases the zip file simply contains empty folders within folders! The size of these files does not correspond to what is displayed at the download link.
I've also noticed that there are several links to download mods taken from Giant's modhub. They seem to give credit to the mod author, but direct you to sites like uploadfiles to download.
Has anyone else had similar experiences with this site?
The link hijacking I have not encountered on their site, but have found quite a few mods that aren't finished and won't work properly, like you mentioned. I have enough knowledge now to 'correct' those errors/warnings, but too lazy to do it myself :chinese:

With those problems mentioned above these are some of the reasons why they have been deleted from the 'good sites' list.

BlackThumb

Post by BlackThumb »

FordFarmer97 wrote: Mon Dec 18, 2017 1:52 pm ^^ That's a dang shame, they have some legit stuff on there!
Yes, too a degree it is a shame, they "were" a good site to go to for excellent mods, but they have gone the 'corporate' route and have entered the "who has the most mods race" for epeen value, and this had made it easy to distinguish which sites are run by mature folk and which are run by kiddies.

The mods on their sites can be found on the sites on the list, just do a search and I'll guarantee that it is hosted on another site.

FordFarmer97

Post by FordFarmer97 »

^^ Alright cool
Tryin to make a 9700 Ford mod, one of these days
#LimeGreenPower
Playin on PC in Tennessee!
John 3:16: "For God so loved the world he gave his only begotten son, that whovever shall believeth in him shall not perish, but have everlasting life"
Old Iron Best Iron.
PM me for a Discord link.
TSM

Post by TSM »

@Blackthumb I think you maybe need to do a LOT more research before writing off a mod site just because it does not fit your taste.

Vertex Design:- Horsch mod to name but a few

Xentro scipting:-a scripting god and the reason we have configurations in FS17 (Hardpoint mod)
Diggity

Post by Diggity »

All of this makes it very easy for me to put up with the limitations of the console. :)
BlackThumb

Post by BlackThumb »

TSM wrote: Tue Dec 19, 2017 3:09 pm @Blackthumb I think you maybe need to do a LOT more research before writing off a mod site just because it does not fit your taste.

Vertex Design:- Horsch mod to name but a few

Xentro scipting:-a scripting god and the reason we have configurations in FS17 (Hardpoint mod)
Hmmm, I re-read my post and NOWHERE did I write off those sites, in fact, I gave them their own 'section' and included the links. The reason I seperated them is because they are 1 person managed sites, not a 'conglomerate', like the others.

And if it were not fit MY taste, why I shouldn't/can't I write them off??? I tend to write off all the mods that are way overpowered (or ridiculuous KKK, eg; 50mt wide ploughs....), because they do not fit MY taste. Everybody has different ideas/tastes on how to run their 'farm' and mine tends to be on the OCD side whilst others do it with the KKK mods, but all in all, we are BOTH having fun, that's the main thing that matters.

Lastly, I deliberately left in (and now highlighted) the link to FS-UK so that people can check those other sites.

If my post came across verbosely, (maybe because of the red-highlighting, which I have now changed) that was not the intention and I apologise in advance. When you read the OP, don't read it with an 'angry' tone, but with an open mind.
BlackThumb

Post by BlackThumb »

Firstly a belated Merry Yuletide and Happy New Year. :!: :!: :!:

Now that the good news is out of the way, the bad news follows.

I have taken Modhoster off the list as they are now infected with malware when you try to download a mod from them (as happened to me).

BlackThumb

Post by BlackThumb »

Well, one of the sites that did NOT make on this list is now openly allowing stolen mods on their site, below is a quote from the 'new modder on the stolen mod':
I dont know how (sic) Edited it, and i dont care.
This is in the description of the mod so it's not like the owners can/could miss it. But then again, as I surmised, the site is run by kiddies without any adult supervision.

I just wish that Giants would get off their corporate ar** and do something about 'stolen' mods, then again, Giants makes too much money from the 'free' mods that they are able to incorporate into their game, and the 'micro-transaction' that they "pay" is a ridiculous SMALL (probably should have used the word tiny instead) percentage of how much they can and are actually earning off the game.

***Notice I said 'game', this can be in no shape, way, or form be classed as a simulator as it's more fantasy (equipment based) than reality and RL farmers would NOT touch this with a bargepole as it has minimal (probably miniscule) semblance of what real farming is***