'Bad' mod sites

Your forum for all discussions around Modding.
BlackThumb

Re: 'Bad' mod sites

Post by BlackThumb »

FS17fan wrote: Mon Nov 12, 2018 12:08 am but mods make this game more realistic ;)
G'day,

no-one is denying the popularity and 'necessity' of mods for realism, what we're trying to do here is steer folks away from 'aggregate sites' (better known as mod stealers) and re-direct them to sites which host mods that are 'authentic.

By authentic what I mean is that these sites ONLY host mods that are uploaded by the author/modder and are not blatant rip-offs (copies) or reposted in other sites under a different modders name.

Hence this topic about 'Good Mod Sites'.

Cheers :hi:
Aging disgracefully and taking nothing with me!!!!
TSM

Post by TSM »

https://mod-network.com/home/1 new site that is already acting dodgy.
Faelandaea

Post by Faelandaea »

Despite what others have to say I get almost all of my mods from modhub.us

I can go there and find almost anything I want, instead of scouring for hours and hours on end through obscure sites that people like to keep hidden to try and find the exact same thing. If a mod isn’t on the main site I like to download from, then the author doesn’t want it found and as such doesn’t want me to download it or use it on any of my streams. One site ... plenty of mods ... good enough for me.

Modders welt makes outstanding stuff. Their Lexions were my only combine of choice for 17. Hope they come to 19 also. And if I am desperate to find something and it isn’t on mod hub.us, I am okay with also using modhoster. It’s primarily German but good layout and good mods.
Faelandaea Dravin
Acknowledged as THE friendliest individual on the internet throughout all of gaming history.
BlackThumb

Post by BlackThumb »

Faelandaea wrote: Mon Nov 26, 2018 7:50 pm Despite what others have to say I get almost all of my mods from modhub.us
/snip
Hmmm, follow the link and read the comments about this mod, and especially take note of what folks say about moderators of this site, 'nuff said.

Modhub.us

BlackThumb

Post by BlackThumb »

TSM wrote: Mon Nov 26, 2018 3:29 pm https://mod-network.com/home/1 new site that is already acting dodgy.
Mind providing a little bit more info? It's not 'blatantly apparent' why you are calling this site dodgy.

TSM

Post by TSM »

its has a converted version of Oxygen Davids Chellington for a start plus it has rehosted mods that are from other sites with no permissions given.
Faelandaea

Post by Faelandaea »

TSM wrote: Mon Nov 26, 2018 3:29 pm https://mod-network.com/home/1 new site that is already acting dodgy.
ROFL!!! I checked out that site. Funny as heck Any file you download is a huge string of random numbers and letters as if you are downloading an Automat file for ETS2/ATS. GREAT way to organize mods for sure ~sarcastic thumbs up~

I agree ... dodgy as heck. Funny how the same people making fun of other sites are trying to promote that one.
Faelandaea Dravin
Acknowledged as THE friendliest individual on the internet throughout all of gaming history.
throsbi

Post by throsbi »

You should go back thru your list and remove all the sites that require people to use third party hosting/downloading services that flood there systems with adware/spyware. I know of 2 on your list of 'good' sites that do this.

Best place to get good mods is either from the mod/map maker themselves or giants. Any other place you are just asking to download and install a special bonus on your pc.
BlackThumb

Post by BlackThumb »

throsbi wrote: Wed Nov 28, 2018 5:11 pm You should go back thru your list and remove all the sites that require people to use third party hosting/downloading services that flood there systems with adware/spyware. I know of 2 on your list of 'good' sites that do this.

Best place to get good mods is either from the mod/map maker themselves or giants. Any other place you are just asking to download and install a special bonus on your pc.
Which 2, it's no use saying
throsbi wrote:I know of 2
and not provide any information. And the sites that have been listed were at the time of posting adware/spyware free, so your statement means, oh, about, zilch, because as I have mentioned, you have provided no 'proof.

And getting your mods from the author/mod maker does not always work in 80% of the cases as they do NOT have their own website/download facility. Not everybody is web savvy enough to use free cloud storage as a means of sharing files. Only takes about 5-10 minutes of research/study to work out which are the best ones to use.

TL;DR: Your statement bears no 'proof' hence no need to take any action.

Faelandaea

Post by Faelandaea »

I agree with blackthumb on that one.
Faelandaea Dravin
TSM

Post by TSM »

and some modders use sharemods.com which isn't much better ;)
Faelandaea

Post by Faelandaea »

I’ll take sharemods any day. Never ever had an issue with sharemods. However when doing my mod reviews for my channel, a mod automatically fails as a mod if the uploader was stupid enough as a moron to use ul.to or uploaded.net. Sharemods though is just click, click again, enjoy mod. And the speeds are good for me there also.
Faelandaea Dravin
throsbi

Post by throsbi »

Did you go and just look at the mod sites or actually try to download from them? I suggest you try and download as you are going to get sent to uploaded or one of its various iterations. If anyone new to uploaded is going to click the wrong button as they purposely mix them into a dozen other clickable boxes. Its done so you will do that. On top of that even if you click the correct space they are embedded with at least one click sprung popup that many times gives users a false feeling of being infected with stuff.
BlackThumb

Post by BlackThumb »

throsbi wrote: Thu Nov 29, 2018 12:59 pm Did you go and just look at the mod sites or actually try to download from them? I suggest you try and download as you are going to get sent to uploaded or one of its various iterations. If anyone new to uploaded is going to click the wrong button as they purposely mix them into a dozen other clickable boxes. Its done so you will do that. On top of that even if you click the correct space they are embedded with at least one click sprung popup that many times gives users a false feeling of being infected with stuff.
Then it's time you caught up with technology and stop using Internet Exploder/Blunt Edge. I use FF/Chrome (depending which one is better at the time) and make use of the various ad, script, pop-up and redirect extensions/add-ons that stop that sort of garbage and have not downloaded anything 'nasty' for years now. And yes some of the downloads are via Upbloated, but with the correct settings, I get the mod with 2 clicks as everything else is stopped and part of the 'clicking' process is automated.

Might be an idea to research and educate yourself with some of the forementioned apps and once savvy about how they work you'll have no need to worry about nefarious things besmirching your PC.

But! If those sites are actually doing more 'harm than good' for the modder, then yes, they will be part of the list. Might actually start a new thread with this for FS19, all I need is a few folk to go to their favourite sites and recommend/condemn them for all things FS19 goodness and we'll try to steer folk to the 'good sites'.

throsbi

Post by throsbi »

No worries here bud I know how to bypass all that garbage. Just wanted to point it out for you as I had not seen it mentioned. Sad for me in FS17 when some of my favorite mod/map makers chose to go that route. I understand why they do tho. Map/mod making takes a lot of time and some pay good money for the programs they use. On top of that you have the website fees and hosting service fees to allow the downloads. Heck I remember when marhu was going to go away from the expense of it.

Anyway hope to see you update a FS19 thread and thanks for helping the community