'Bad' mod sites

Your forum for all discussions around Modding.
Guil

Re: 'Bad' mod sites

Post by Guil »

Opinions are fine but your on the verge of ranting.
BlackThumb

Post by BlackThumb »

Guil wrote: Sun Jan 21, 2018 6:48 am Opinions are fine but your on the verge of ranting.
Noted.

Cheers :hi:
Aging disgracefully and taking nothing with me!!!!
Nordvarg

Post by Nordvarg »

BlackThumb wrote: Sun Jan 21, 2018 3:07 amI just wish that Giants would get off their corporate ar** and do something about 'stolen' mods
I think you’re too harsh.

Currently, there’s more than 3,500 mods on Modhoster. Just for FS17. Other sites host even more mods…

To "do something about" mod thefts, you would have to do something like this:
  • First you need to find out if a mod was actually stolen in the first place.
  • Then, you’ll have to identify the mod thief and tell him/her to remove the mod from every mod site out there. Most won’t.
  • So, you could try to send them a “Cease and Desist” letter. In many cases, this won’t work.
  • So, the next option is to contact the site’s owner to have him/her remove the mod.
  • If this doesn’t work, you could always send a DMCA takedown notice to the hosting company. If successful, this would bring down the entire web site. But you’ll need rock solid proof that a mod is stolen for this to work.
  • On top of this – Some sites are hosted in countries where DMCA has no effect…
So doing something isn’t easy. You’d need a lot of manpower. And money.

(I don’t think locking the files is an option. Many players love to edit maps, vehicles and tools to fit their play style – Without sharing their edits with others.)

I believe Giants actually is doing something. The Modhub is a huge step in a good direction. I’m confident we’ll se an even better Modhub later this year. Both for players and modders.

Your OP is also helpful. It helps stay clear of shady sites with tons of stolen mods :hi:
BlackThumb

Post by BlackThumb »

Nordvarg wrote: Sun Jan 21, 2018 1:12 pm
BlackThumb wrote: Sun Jan 21, 2018 3:07 amI just wish that Giants would get off their corporate ar** and do something about 'stolen' mods

Currently, there’s more than 3,500 mods on Modhoster. Just for FS17. Other sites host even more mods…

{snip}

I believe Giants actually is doing something. The Modhub is a huge step in a good direction. I’m confident we’ll se an even better Modhub later this year. Both for players and modders.

Your OP is also helpful. It helps stay clear of shady sites with tons of stolen mods :hi:
G'day, either I did not make myself clear or you didn't understand what the gist of the message is. Modhub has 'stolen' mods (albeit only 2 that I can identify) and Modhub is 'owned/operated' by Giants....

To address the point that I have centered on in your reply, Giants HAS the staff and time and money to FULLY check whether a mod is coming from the original author/modder but seems not to be too bothered with ensuring that they are releasing original IP (Intellectual Property) onto their site.

I am not a modder, more a 'tweaker', I change mods that I like to "My Specs", but DO NOT upload them and call them "My Mods", which is starting to become prevalent amongst some of the other sites.

If I were a modder and noticed one of my mods on Modhub's site which was NOT credited to me (nor uploaded by me) I would be talking to my attorney and asking her why Modhub is allowing my IP onto their site without my permission and I'm sure she would be knocking on Giant's doors (metaphorically speaking) and asking them the same question.

TL;DR If I can find 'stolen' mods, Giant's certainly could as is has the Manpower, Time and also Money. But the last noun is the one they seem to be more focussed on, the more of it for them, the better and who cares about the unwashed masses.

Nordvarg

Post by Nordvarg »

BlackThumb wrote: Thu Jan 25, 2018 5:25 amG'day, either I did not make myself clear or you didn't understand what the gist of the message is. Modhub has 'stolen' mods (albeit only 2 that I can identify) and Modhub is 'owned/operated' by Giants....
Hi :) Sorry. Thought you meant every single stolen mods out there. On the www. My bad.
Lisertan
GIANTS Software | Community Manager

Post by Lisertan »

BlackThumb wrote: Thu Jan 25, 2018 5:25 am Modhub has 'stolen' mods (albeit only 2 that I can identify) and Modhub is 'owned/operated' by Giants....

Giants HAS the staff and time and money to FULLY check whether a mod is coming from the original author/modder but seems not to be too bothered with ensuring that they are releasing original IP (Intellectual Property) onto their site.

TL;DR If I can find 'stolen' mods, Giant's certainly could as is has the Manpower, Time and also Money.
I've cutted it down to the parts I'd like to talk about.

Simply put: You are very wrong. Sorry. We do not have the manpower to check every single mod site, Facebook Group, Discord, you name it. There are thousends and thousends of mods out there, I honestly don't know how someone would think we can check them all.

You found two stolen ones? Let me tell you: We found WAY more, we find them all the time and we deny them, but there is no way humanly possible we can find them all. There are always things that will slip through our checks. Is that great? No it's not, but it's pretty much unavoidable.

So the best thing to do, if you see a mod that slipped through our fingers: let us know, drop us an email, something like this. We are always happy to talk about these things :)

Cheers
Lars
Lars 'Lisertan' Malcharek
Community Manager

History is on the move, Captain. Those who cannot keep up will be left behind, to watch from a distance. And those who stand in our way will not watch at all."
―Grand Admiral Thrawn to Captain Gilad Pellaeon
eric21

Post by eric21 »

BlackThumb wrote: Thu Jan 25, 2018 5:25 am
Nordvarg wrote: Sun Jan 21, 2018 1:12 pm

{snip}

G'day, either I did not make myself clear or you didn't understand what the gist of the message is. Modhub has 'stolen' mods (albeit only 2 that I can identify) and Modhub is 'owned/operated' by Giants....

To address the point that I have centered on in your reply, Giants HAS the staff and time and money to FULLY check whether a mod is coming from the original author/modder but seems not to be too bothered with ensuring that they are releasing original IP (Intellectual Property) onto their site.

I am not a modder, more a 'tweaker', I change mods that I like to "My Specs", but DO NOT upload them and call them "My Mods", which is starting to become prevalent amongst some of the other sites.

If I were a modder and noticed one of my mods on Modhub's site which was NOT credited to me (nor uploaded by me) I would be talking to my attorney and asking her why Modhub is allowing my IP onto their site without my permission and I'm sure she would be knocking on Giant's doors (metaphorically speaking) and asking them the same question.

TL;DR If I can find 'stolen' mods, Giant's certainly could as is has the Manpower, Time and also Money. But the last noun is the one they seem to be more focussed on, the more of it for them, the better and who cares about the unwashed masses.

So how much is legal action? Noone can afford it.
BlackThumb

Post by BlackThumb »

Lisertan wrote: Thu Jan 25, 2018 11:51 am I've cutted it down to the parts I'd like to talk about.

---snip

So the best thing to do, if you see a mod that slipped through our fingers: let us know, drop us an email, something like this. We are always happy to talk about these things :)

Cheers
Lars
I have focussed what I think is the most important part and I must make my apologies as I was not aware that you would check into claims that mods have been uploaded/modified/stolen without permission from the original author/modder.

Now that I am aware of this I will in future know what to do, and that is give you (Giant's) a heads-up that a mod has been uploaded/modified/stolen without permission and be aware if this mod is sent to you (Modhub) for inclusion.

The thing I don't agree with (IMO) is that you don't have time to check on mods authenticity. Yes, there are thousands, however, your and my friend "Google" will very quickly gather all the info on the mod and you can either make an informed decision from the results, or some of the results will tell you already that this particular mod has been uploaded/modified/stolen. Not exactly rocket surgery or brain science..... :chinese:

But I still appreciate that you will make the effort to check a mods authenticity if you are made aware of it and big kudos for this, it should hopefully put original modders mind to rest.

BlackThumb

Post by BlackThumb »

eric21 wrote: Thu Jan 25, 2018 1:40 pm So how much is legal action? Noone can afford it.
You don't need a large amount of cash for legal action, especially if you can prove 100% that it is yours and the 'stolen' IP has been used without your permission.

Normal court of law 'rules' = loser pays.

canadafarms

Post by canadafarms »

^^ :lol: That’s hilarious, obviously someone who has never had any dealings with the law or lawyers :lol:
PS4
Lisertan

Post by Lisertan »

BlackThumb wrote: Fri Jan 26, 2018 5:30 am But I still appreciate that you will make the effort to check a mods authenticity if you are made aware of it and big kudos for this, it should hopefully put original modders mind to rest.

We try to be as fair as possible. Keep in mind, modders do get money from us for their efforts, so uploading a mod to the ModHub can make you some coins. Therefore, it's very important for us to ensure, that the real creator of a mod gets the money, he deserves it after all, he did the work!

That's why we will always do whatever we can to kill stolen mods from the ModHub. It's only fair.
Community Manager

History is on the move, Captain. Those who cannot keep up will be left behind, to watch from a distance. And those who stand in our way will not watch at all."
BlackThumb

Post by BlackThumb »

Lisertan wrote: Fri Jan 26, 2018 10:05 am We try to be as fair as possible. Keep in mind, modders do get money from us for their efforts, so uploading a mod to the ModHub can make you some coins. Therefore, it's very important for us to ensure, that the real creator of a mod gets the money, he deserves it after all, he did the work!

That's why we will always do whatever we can to kill stolen mods from the ModHub. It's only fair.
That's very good news to here and will put potential new 'future' modders at ease, knowing their hard work, time and effort is being 'looked after'.

BlackThumb

Post by BlackThumb »

canadafarms wrote: Fri Jan 26, 2018 6:36 am ^^ :lol: That’s hilarious, obviously someone who has never had any dealings with the law or lawyers :lol:
Sooooo, you have never availed yourself of a "No Win, No Charge" lawyer/attorney or heard of them? Mayhaps you need to move into the 21 century with the rest of us.

TSM

Post by TSM »

Lisertan wrote: Fri Jan 26, 2018 10:05 am That's why we will always do whatever we can to kill stolen mods from the ModHub. It's only fair.

If that's true how come modhub.us is still open for business it have every single modhub.com mod on it and makes money doing so.

Take my trailers for instance they are on just about every website and facebook download page there is, when I emailed Giants about it I was told there was nothing you guys could do about it.
Lisertan

Post by Lisertan »

Just to be clear:

We are the owners of OUR ModHub, so if someone steals your mod and uploads it on our ModHub, then we can remove it. We have no power when it comes to other websites, they are not owned by us and there is very little we can do. We can't prevent the Internet from stealing things, we can only try to ensure we are not uploading stolen things (if that makes sense?)
Community Manager