Rename Stations

Your forum for all discussions around Modding.
frappydan

Rename Stations

Post by frappydan »

I am trying to rename the stations in the 4x starter map. Like Mary's Farm, Wright Agreculture, etc... Changed the station name in the Map01.xml file but the stations still show up in the game as ORIGINALLY named. Tried new game and tried locating any file that might give reference to the names that the game starts with in the Map01.xml file.

For example <tipTrigger index="FARMER_2" stationName="station_farmer2GCV" seems like it would reference a "names" file that would provide the actual name shown on the map. So much of 17 is a mystery to me after I finally got good at making maps for 2015.

Tried "station_MikesFarm", "Mike's Farm" and "Mike's_Farm" and all obviously ignored.

Some help please?
wiseguy49

Re: Rename Stations

Post by wiseguy49 »

In GE on the sell trigger just make sure the index matches. i.e. FARMER_2 on the trigger in GE matches FARMER_2 in the map01.xml.

Now as far as your problem, you need to change the stationName=" in map01.xml to whatever name you want it to be. The ones in the default map, i.e station_farmer2GCV are hard coded into the Giants engine thats why you can't see that is really Mary's Farm or whatever it is.
frappydan

Post by frappydan »

Just to add on to this info as I noticed that map issues seem to be the least responded to on any forum I've joined.

:hmm: Preparation:
On the user attributes for each of the tip triggers (usually under node "gameplay -> IN), these are easily found for each station by clicking over the grid where you dump your train cart or your trailer. It's known that you have selected the correct object when you can see in the "User Attributes" the following Attributes - "index", "onCreate" and "xmlFile". In order to modify the name of this station this should be the first thing that you locate. Index tells the game where to find the information for this object in the map01.xml file which I'll explain next. You don't need to change the index or the onCreate fields. You may change the index text if you wish but should use a name that is formatted correctly such as the all capitals and underscores format of the original text. This is a coding practice to make identifying indexes in xml and is not required, just recommended.

:!: Start here:
1.Change "$data/maps/map01.xml" to "maps/map01.xml", this will force the game to reference your map file instead of the default one.
2. Ensure that the map01.xml file is actually located in your maps folder and that it is named map01.xml
3. NOTE: If you've changed the name of your map01.xml file then make sure you use it's name.

:!: Finish here:
1. Open the map01.xml file in your maps folder in an editor such as notepad++
2. Scroll down to the section <tipTriggers> and search for the index name that you want to change
3. Once found you're interested in a line like this
<tipTrigger index="FARMER_1" stationName="name_used_for_station" appearsOnPDA="true" isAreaTrigger="true" isSellingPoint="true" triggerWidth="3" litersForFullPriceDrop="200000" fullPriceRecoverHours="48">
4. The text to change is the text in quotes following stationName=
5, You can type in any name for the station that you want including spaces and appostrophies
6. I changed mine to this.
<tipTrigger index="FARMER_1" stationName="MayBell's Farm" appearsOnPDA="true" isAreaTrigger="true" isSellingPoint="true" triggerWidth="3" litersForFullPriceDrop="200000" fullPriceRecoverHours="48">

:biggrin2: That's it. The new name will be displayed on your PDA and in the game map. I'll add a post after this explaining further modifying the tiptrigger.
frappydan

Post by frappydan »

Hi mappers, I'm adding the following to help those interested in changing their station's names and behavior.

:!: If you are uncomfortable with xml or programming I'd recommend you learn more about it before performing this type of modifications to your game.

There are a few things that you can modify to change the behavior of tip triggers in GE and Farming Simulator 2017. They don't seem like much but can make the game more enjoyable if done right.

:?: NOTE: the items below are shown in order they should appear on the tiptrigger's line. Correct formatting of these fields is ESSENTIAL and if not done right will hang Farming Simulator while loading your game as the engine will not be able to parse the text. Take great care in ensuring that the text is formatted correctly and that each field is separated by ONE space. An example would be as such:

<tipTrigger ref="value" ref="value" ref="value" ref="value" ref="value" ref="value" >

Also ensure that the line begins with "<tipTrigger " and that it is closed with " >"
Note the space between each field and no spaces between the ref= and the value.

:search: To keep it simple I'll explain what each field does and the order in which they should appear in the line of text:
1. index="FARMER_2_MANURE" stationName="Stinky Mike's" (index to trigger in User Attributes and Name displayed on map / stats)
2. appearsOnPDA="false" (determines if name of this station shows on your map - true = shows)
3. appearsOnStats="false" (determines if this station is in the list of the stats page - if it's not a selling point recommend leaving false)
4. isAreaTrigger="true" (this should always be true or your trigger won't work)
5. isTrainOnly="true" (this field is only included in train stops located on the tracks. It also adds the little train icon to locations in the stats)
6. isSellingPoint="true" (if not a storage trigger then this will always be true, if it is a storage point then the prices will be zero and this will be false". Also note that if this is a selling point then the station's name will appear in stats by default and the sppearsOnStats field should not be used.
7. triggerWidth="3" (this is a default value for the triggers. You will not need to modify this value but it should be there)
8. litersForFullPriceDrop="80000" (this setting effects the price fluctuation at this station - the higher value = sell more before price drops)
8. fullPriceRecoverHours="48" (the last field has to do with how many hours it takes to recover from a price drop)

:search: The reason I cover these is that I have 4 Transports along my 3 train tracks for shuffling grain and logs around my 4X map. Because they are used for storage of grain Giant's doesn't by default put them in the stats or on the PDA map. If you show them on the PDA using appearsOnPDA="true" then the station names tend to show up in the stats page with $0 for each fruit. What I needed to do was add the appearsOnStats="false" field to allow the map to display the location and yet not list it in the stats page. This is much cleaner.