Why do you think people invite the public to view their mods and then deny access to such mods?

Your forum for all discussions around Modding.
Phantoms

Re: What's the deal with "private" mods?

Post by Phantoms »

Smith Modding wrote:I have accepted the fact that people may change my mod, but to keep it from being reuploaded I plan on spamming the mod stealing sites with a link to the official ModHub
Which ones? There are hundreds. If an author publishes a mod anywhere, by later in the day it is on a hundred different sites. It's ridiculous how blatant it is.
Playing on PC
Smith Modding

Post by Smith Modding »

^^^^ True, but I'm going to do the ones that pop up when I search "FS17 Mods". Probably the top 7 or so
Smith Modding Co.
Christian Based Modding
Isaiah 30:23- He will also send you rain for the seed you sow in the ground, and the food that comes from the land will be rich and plentiful. In that day your cattle will graze in broad meadows.:
Playing FS15-19 on PC
Playing too much FS19 :mrgreen:
Specs-
i5-7300HQ|NVIDIA GTX 1050ti|16GB DDR4 RAM|1TB/500GB SSD/256GB M.2|Windows 10
ClassicTractors

Post by ClassicTractors »

I honestly think it's to prevent people from stealing the mod and uploading it as their own. I too think it is annoying at times, but I completely understand why modders would want to do that.
CT Modding: Bringing the past to Farming Simulator....one machine at a time.

There's bound to be rough waters
And I know I'll take some falls
But with the good Lord as my captain
I can make it through them all

- Garth Brooks
raçamodding

Post by raçamodding »

Hello, I was passing through here, and I saw this article, well, I'm going to give my opinion on private mods, I believe in my point of view that it's a very dull way, it's like showing up food for those who are hungry and end up not sharing I am sincere to a certain point, I am Brazilian, I am still learning the mecher with mods, for us it is very complicated to learn the correct way, the ignorance here is very intense of the people, I only fist with fs17, but I started from the fs 15, but I've never put any la models, here are divided into teams, and many times I keep vip the mods, I belong to the farm center south team, I joined a little time too, but I have 14 mods already posted, today I still have 7 projects to finish modeling, mapping and in-game, most here know how to do modeling and mapping, more in-game complicates, even with visits to the GDN sites and bought the exclusive deluxe farming simulator articles now that they are coming to South america, we are I am modest, hoping for these articles to come in Portuguese, I have mods WIP, working in project, I am against vip, due to the fact of this ignorance, and frankly, the fs here has turned sort of a ostentation form for moders, sincerely, the private mods here, spoiled the grace of the farming simulator, it's more of an outburst on my part, I hope understanding
Nigelbilt

Post by Nigelbilt »

So much entitlement in this thread. If someone creates something, you have absolutely no right to dictate what they do with that creation.
PaulDuPouy

Post by PaulDuPouy »

Nigelbilt wrote:So much entitlement in this thread. If someone creates something, you have absolutely no right to dictate what they do with that creation.
There is not, thats why I have been jumping through all the hoops visiting far flung areas to try to acquire the Old Iron packs from whomever actually has the real versions versus supporting some garbage hole like MH. I need a 2655 Oliver in my life.
mtx95sho on XB1, Oct. '17 convert to the master race :hi:
TSM

Post by TSM »

Nigelbilt wrote:So much entitlement in this thread. If someone creates something, you have absolutely no right to dictate what they do with that creation.
*thumbsup* *thumbsup* *thumbsup* *thumbsup*
Smith Modding

Post by Smith Modding »

It's not that, it's the fact that some modders are like "look what I made it's super awesome let me post a million pictures" and when people ask about it, while some are nice about it, some are very snarky about it being private and that everyone should stop asking. But a lot of them don't mention it till they're asked.
Smith Modding Co.
Christian Based Modding
Isaiah 30:23- He will also send you rain for the seed you sow in the ground, and the food that comes from the land will be rich and plentiful. In that day your cattle will graze in broad meadows.:
Playing FS15-19 on PC
Playing too much FS19 :mrgreen:
Specs-
i5-7300HQ|NVIDIA GTX 1050ti|16GB DDR4 RAM|1TB/500GB SSD/256GB M.2|Windows 10
Nigelbilt

Post by Nigelbilt »

Ok, and? Why would they not want to show off their creation? The snarky part is what it is. That may or may not happen frequently or infrequently, it's all anecdotal. That's not the point of this thread though. Op saw a server being "advertised", which uses private mods, and freaked out because he doesn't have access to said private mods. That server admin/mod creator as no obligation to supply op with anything. Then everyone else jumped on the bandwagon stating that anyone who makes mods private is a scumbag, taking it as far as saying if they can't have access to said private mods then it is a TOS breach. That is just ludicrous and asinine.

If you create something, YOU decided what to do with it. Not a bunch of angry random usernames on random forums.
BlackFox403

Post by BlackFox403 »

Could not have said this better myself ^^ ... Wil note this in my infoPad and taskLog mods.
Procobator

Post by Procobator »

PaulDuPouy wrote:
There is not, thats why I have been jumping through all the hoops visiting far flung areas to try to acquire the Old Iron packs from whomever actually has the real versions versus supporting some garbage hole like MH. I need a 2655 Oliver in my life.

I found on the few old iron mods I investigated that they are a conglomerate of other mods pieced together. That could be one reason it's difficult to find the original modder.
PaulDuPouy

Post by PaulDuPouy »

Procobator wrote:
PaulDuPouy wrote:

I found on the few old iron mods I investigated that they are a conglomerate of other mods pieced together. That could be one reason it's difficult to find the original modder.

That's true, I finally found the bulk of them in a few really cool FB groups. Still missing the IH 4wd's, but I'm happy to have the 2655.
mtx95sho on XB1, Oct. '17 convert to the master race :hi:
Slivicon

Post by Slivicon »

Nigelbilt wrote:Ok, and? Why would they not want to show off their creation? The snarky part is what it is. That may or may not happen frequently or infrequently, it's all anecdotal. That's not the point of this thread though. Op saw a server being "advertised", which uses private mods, and freaked out because he doesn't have access to said private mods. That server admin/mod creator as no obligation to supply op with anything. Then everyone else jumped on the bandwagon stating that anyone who makes mods private is a scumbag, taking it as far as saying if they can't have access to said private mods then it is a TOS breach. That is just ludicrous and asinine.

If you create something, YOU decided what to do with it. Not a bunch of angry random usernames on random forums.
OP here, I think you misunderstood. I didn't flip out, first of all. Someone was going around to FS community sites and posting links to their facebook page saying "come check out our mods". Then when visiting the page, I saw a bunch of posts about the mods with pictures, and people commenting saying "this is really interesting, where can we get the mods" and the person repeatedly saying "no you can't have them they're private".

My issue was that if you have a private mod, then keep it to yourself, but going around to other forums and posting links and ASKING people to come CHECK IT OUT, then when they do and ask about the mods, saying no you can't have them, to me is just very lame.

If they want to do that, of course they can, I don't mean to dictate what they can or cannot do, I just think doing that is extremely lame, and I have every right to call them out on it for being extremely lame :) If you want to have private mods, go right ahead, but don't go around ASKING people to come see your mods and then tell them to bugger off when they ask about them. It is THAT SPECIFICALLY that is very much "hey look at me aren't I cool and you're not" which is the kind of thing that IRL would likely lead me to punch you directly in the mouth :) Keep your private mods private :) Don't be lame :)

I think I would have reacted differently if the actual invitation posts were "Come see pictures of my private mods but don't ask about them - I won't share them, I just want to show pictures". But that wasn't what this guy did. He was very clickbaity and very "look at me" "come check this out *picture of mod* !!!" then when falling for the clickbait, "*censored* to be you no mod for you", and *that* specifically is what I found to be extremely lame :)
Slivicon

Post by Slivicon »

Also, you are actually incorrect in your statement of "do whatever you want with it". You can't make a mod for FS and sell it, for example, says that directly in the TOS, but that's an entirely different topic. I think when people ventured off into the TOS, it got a bit off topic. There is a separate issue regarding things like paywall mods which actually are illegal. Modding a game that is the IP of another company is not "do whatever you want" land, but anyway, I digress, just wanted to clarify that I believe there was a misunderstanding about the intention of my post. I was pointing out someone being an extremely lame clickbaity person spamming FS community sites, and in hindsight I could have been more clear about that, and not so much on the issue of private mods being private. Private mods being private are fine, just keep it to yourself, or if you are going to share pictures about it, don't be clickbaity about it like you're giving the impression to people that you are publishing your mods "come check this out". It's the exact same reaction as to pop up ads and other clickbait stuff - entirely legal to do, and it's "their right to do it if they want", but it's also my right to publicly denounce it as extremely lame behaviour and not in the spirit of the modding community, imo :)
Showdizzle

Post by Showdizzle »

Someone got their little feelings hurt.