Why do you think people invite the public to view their mods and then deny access to such mods?

Your forum for all discussions around Modding.
redglasses

Re: What's the deal with "private" mods?

Post by redglasses »

idk, I still think its dumb, if you dont ant you're mods stolen, try to upload to the giants mod hub, and always be on the look out for your mod being posted somewhere else, a simple google search can root out 70% of mod stealers I feel like
Playing Lincoln Creek on PC
Upload your screenshots here: IMG server
My Discord
Remember there is no need to spread your manure around the forums :wink3:
Jack of all trades, master of the skid steer
Hairy Bob

Post by Hairy Bob »

How does uploading a mod to Giants modhub stop anyone uploading it elsewhere?
Also, say you find your mod/s on an unscrupulous website, then what? Contact the website and hope that a: someone bothers to read your email and b: bothers to do anything about it?
I've not been in this situation myself but from what I gather, once a mod goes online it's only a matter of time before it's spread all around the web. The way I see it you can either accept it or keep your mods private.
Fair play to the many great modders who continue to improve the game, I can understand why some wouldn't want the hassle.
Farming Kandelin and Pellworm on pc
Slivicon

Post by Slivicon »

Hairy Bob wrote:How does uploading a mod to Giants modhub stop anyone uploading it elsewhere?
Also, say you find your mod/s on an unscrupulous website, then what? Contact the website and hope that a: someone bothers to read your email and b: bothers to do anything about it?
I've not been in this situation myself but from what I gather, once a mod goes online it's only a matter of time before it's spread all around the web. The way I see it you can either accept it or keep your mods private.
Fair play to the many great modders who continue to improve the game, I can understand why some wouldn't want the hassle.
I don't think there's really much of anything that can be done other than writing nasty messages. I personally don't care if someone else wants to re-host my mods without my permission, I guess I'd only get annoyed if someone modified it and didn't change the author name to remove me, because then people might try and contact me about that modification which I wouldn't have written so don't bug me about it lol - some people get super crazy serious with their all caps threats regarding sharing or modifying their mods and I think that's just silly - like you say, you're not going to stop it, so either accept that it happens or don't accept it (it's still going to happen).

Probably what happens with uploading to the mod hub is if they get a report that it is hosted somewhere else, maybe they'd remove it from the mod hub, who knows. I take it as meaning they are trying to encourage people to use the mod hub because it's convenient and has testing by the developer, and no ad pop-up garbage, and they're trying to discourage untested game-breaking mods as well as people using shady ad pop-up malware infested web sites for sharing their mods and trying to make money or whatever.
eric21

Post by eric21 »

You get bad rep if someone alters your mod or put a bug in the download
BulletBill

Post by BulletBill »

At this point in Fs17 GIANTS Modhub is the first place to go for genuine mods.
After that the only website that actually tests its mods, refuses to allow 3rd party hosting except GIANTS Modhub, plus has an agreement with GIANTS to host Modhub mods as external links is FS-UK.

There are a small handful of sites which are safe but most require you to sign up before downloading any mods. Places like PC-SG and Mod Central.

The once mighty Modhoster is now rife with mods uploaded without the authors permission, not to mention they allow uploaders to use malware infested 3rd party hosting services.

As for the other mod websites... and Facebook... well the mods there are there for a reason. Either they have been uploaded without permission. Or have been completely ruined and barely work, with tons of errors which will slow your game down and likely crash it.

There are a few rare cases of some genuine modders who only release there work via Facebook and nowhere else.

Sadly most people are more concerned with getting some particular mod whatever its condition or playability than supporting modders and out of respect for them not using the dodgy mod sites.

I can never understand how people can actually play the game with some crappy mod converted from Fs11/13 which looks awful, is causing there game to run at about 17fps because of so many errors in the log, and yet there posting pictures as if they've made some great achivement.
redglasses

Post by redglasses »

Hairy Bob wrote:How does uploading a mod to Giants modhub stop anyone uploading it elsewhere?
So basically giants needs to get a reason to take down all these "bad" sites, that or make it so the game wont except any mod unless its on the mod hub
Playing Lincoln Creek on PC
Upload your screenshots here: IMG server
My Discord
Remember there is no need to spread your manure around the forums :wink3:
Jack of all trades, master of the skid steer
Slivicon

Post by Slivicon »

Well, I would personally love to only use the Giants modhub, but one example of a great mod that isn't there (not sure why) is the GPS mod. I think there are others out there like Stevie (only facebook with ext links it seems), Marhu (only on his site in german if not an unauthorized copy), where many players seem to love their stuff, and the pleasant valley stuff, which also is not on the official modhub.

So, we still have to go outside of the mod hub for some mods, unfortunately, and that means taking risks with some of these sites, sometimes :/

Also, for some people that like to try out new and different mods, it's even riskier, but yes, if you didn't get it from modhub or tested on fs-uk, you're taking a risk and don't be surprised if something breaks in the game.
eric21

Post by eric21 »

Slivicon wrote:Well, I would personally love to only use the Giants modhub, but one example of a great mod that isn't there (not sure why) is the GPS mod. I think there are others out there like Stevie (only facebook with ext links it seems), Marhu (only on his site in german if not an unauthorized copy), where many players seem to love their stuff, and the pleasant valley stuff, which also is not on the official modhub.

So, we still have to go outside of the mod hub for some mods, unfortunately, and that means taking risks with some of these sites, sometimes :/

Also, for some people that like to try out new and different mods, it's even riskier, but yes, if you didn't get it from modhub or tested on fs-uk, you're taking a risk and don't be surprised if something breaks in the game.
Most users dont take risks, if you know a website is dodgy then DONT download anything from it.
Slivicon

Post by Slivicon »

eric21 wrote:
Slivicon wrote:Well, I would personally love to only use the Giants modhub, but one example of a great mod that isn't there (not sure why) is the GPS mod. I think there are others out there like Stevie (only facebook with ext links it seems), Marhu (only on his site in german if not an unauthorized copy), where many players seem to love their stuff, and the pleasant valley stuff, which also is not on the official modhub.

Most users dont take risks, if you know a website is dodgy then DONT download anything from it.
Oh for sure, just that sometimes it's impossible to get a certain mod otherwise. I helped someone the other day who needed a mod from a dodgy site. Since I know how to get through unscathed, I grabbed it for him and uploaded it to a safe spot where he could get it. It's unfortunate, wish people would use github if they don't like modhub.
Slivicon

Post by Slivicon »

Interesting post I'll quote here from someone else on another forum. Seems like they might have a point *if* the person publishes pictures of the mod then says "nope, private" (subject to interpretation of the TOS regarding "publication")?
Someone on another forum wrote: Technically private mods are against the Giants TOS.
Someone on another forum quoting the Giants TOS wrote: 6.3 Mods created and uploaded by the Customer may only be made available to third parties free-of-charge and not for gain. Commercial use or use in return for payment is not permitted. It is prohibited to sell or otherwise exploit Mods commercially without the consent of GIANTS (including the placement of ads in Mods or within the context of the distribution of Mods), including the sale or distribution of apps which contain Mods, as well as the sale of physical data carriers or downloading of Mods."

"7.3 If the Customer creates, disseminates, exchanges, sends, transfers, publishes or uploads any User Generated Content for the games, it shall automatically grant to GIANTS the usage rights described below, without the need for GIANTS to obtain permission or pay for the User Generated Content:

Through the dissemination, exchange, sending, transfer, publication, uploading or public disclosure of the User Generated Content online, the Customer shall grant GIANTS the global, free-of-charge, non-time-limited, irrevocable, non-exclusive and fully sub-licensable right to copy, distribute, publish, modify, translate, archive and store the User Generated Content generated by the user and to create edits of it in any form and format and in currently available and hereafter developed media. The Customer shall waive any moral rights which it holds to the User Generated Content generated by the Customer.
Through the distribution, exchange, sending, transfer, publication and uploading of the User Generated Content generated by the Customer, the Customer shall otherwise acknowledge that other users may use the generated User Generated Content. GIANTS shall not be liable for the actions of other users which may infringe rights to the generated User Generated Content. In the case of disputes with other users, the Customer himself shall be responsible for contacting the affected users asserting any claims.
The Customer shall grant GIANTS a free-of-charge user license for all online User Generated Content which he creates or shares during his use of GIANTS Editor and/or the online service, on an open-ended basis, in perpetuity, irrevocably, without restriction or limitation, for all currently available or hereafter designed devices, formats or forms, which can be granted, transferred, leased, published, or publicly and globally displayed for all objects or devices in the form of a license. This license shall primarily cover the rights to copy, alter, reproduce in part or in full, modify, develop, translate, use for any User Generated Content, incorporate into other works, exclude in part or in full from elements and/or the addition of elements, and the deletion, publication, distribution, sale or commercialization thereof.
From Giants TOS so if you make a mod and post a picture of it and say it is private then technically you are in violation of the TOS. At least if I am reading it correctly
So if I get this guy's point correctly, it's basically that if you really want your mods to be private, you can't advertise pictures/videos/descriptions/etc of them. You can make them, but no advertisement of them on any public web page otherwise they become "part of a publication" at which point you have to grant Giants access to it, depending on interpretation of this TOS...
eric21

Post by eric21 »

At the end of the day its the modders choice
Showdizzle

Post by Showdizzle »

True it is the modders choice. Software companies are not going to litigate TOS violations to obtain private mods. Once a mod is in public domain it is Giants property thereby ending the argument of "someone stole my mod."
pedrochapps

Post by pedrochapps »

I rarely share my mods because i know when someone gets hold of it they will destroy it with stupid stuff, IE:- Over sized wheels, Light bars,Stupid colors, a million not needed scripts, Decals on the windows, and with all that claim they are the own of my mod.

Ive been toying with the idea of uploading my latest sprayer but again its the what will people do to my mod is what i hate
Smith Modding

Post by Smith Modding »

I have accepted the fact that people may change my mod, but to keep it from being reuploaded I plan on spamming the mod stealing sites with a link to the official ModHub
Smith Modding Co.
Christian Based Modding
Isaiah 30:23- He will also send you rain for the seed you sow in the ground, and the food that comes from the land will be rich and plentiful. In that day your cattle will graze in broad meadows.:
Playing FS15-19 on PC
Playing too much FS19 :mrgreen:
Specs-
i5-7300HQ|NVIDIA GTX 1050ti|16GB DDR4 RAM|1TB/500GB SSD/256GB M.2|Windows 10
Procobator

Post by Procobator »

I'm ok with modders keeping their work private. What doesn't sit well with me is when they show off their modding talent like a dangling carrot to the masses and then tell them nope, can't have it.