thumbs.db

Your forum for all discussions around Modding.
pedrochapps

thumbs.db

Post by pedrochapps »

what the hell are these ? i see it in a few mods i have on the server but when i look in said places there is noting there nor under hidden files.
is it something i need to worry about if i wish to post a mod on the modhub ?
Slivicon

Re: thumbs.db

Post by Slivicon »

I had reported this issue. It's nothing to be worried about, just annoying. Thumbs.db files are generated automatically as hidden files by Windows when you view a folder in Windows explorer in certain ways, such as large icons. This is where the little images for the files are stored for that folder by Windows.

When someone zips up their mod, they may not notice these as they are hidden files, and not always present, so they get included by the modder in the zip by accident.

The dedicated server software has code in it to try and detect potential "issues" with mods by analyzing the zip for any file type that is not needed by a mod, then displaying that as an "issue".

It sees that these thumbs.db files are in the zip, they have nothing to do with the mod, so it says "these are an issue".

They're not really an issue, they don't interfere with the mod. However, they are files that don't need to be in the zip for the mod, so an alert modder will check their zip file for such unnecessary files and remove them from the zip before they publish.

If this was a mod that was on the official mod hub, I had also requested that the QA testing process be updated to include uploading the mod to a dedicated server and viewing it in the panel to make sure there are no issues as shown in the panel.
Last edited by Slivicon on Wed Oct 11, 2017 11:33 pm, edited 1 time in total.
don_apple

Post by don_apple »

Have a look at the following post: viewtopic.php?f=936&t=117765&hilit=thumbs.db#p919183
Gruß/Regards,
don_apple

Apple iMac 27" (2017), Quad-Core i7 4.2 GHz, 48GB, AMD Radeon R580 8GB
Bitte benutzt das öffentliche Forum für Supportfragen und nicht PN/Please use the public forum for support questions and not PM
FS22 Bugtracker
log.txt Image Server Forenregeln Board rules
pedrochapps

Post by pedrochapps »

ah ok thanks for that, Its strange that they showed up because once my mod was complete i exported it to get rid of any i3d files i imported to my mod so they showed up.

good to know i can delete them with 7zip, on my next update to my mod i shall be sure to look for those