Loss of texture/shading after editing?

Your forum for all discussions around Modding.
PaulDuPouy

Loss of texture/shading after editing?

Post by PaulDuPouy »

Disclaimer: I'm very new to the whole PC side of things.

I ran into an issue after fixing the HP figures to be accurate on the Oliver pack. All I did was edit the HP figures in xml and once I loaded up the game again the cabs of the Oliver/White 2255's were wonky and I lost the color on the front wheels of the narrow front tractors. Anyone have an idea where I went wrong?
mtx95sho on XB1, Oct. '17 convert to the master race :hi:
Guil

Re: Loss of texture/shading after editing?

Post by Guil »

Delete the shader folder that's in the farming simulator folder, it's in the same folder as your mod folder.
PaulDuPouy

Post by PaulDuPouy »

Guil wrote:Delete the shader folder that's in the farming simulator folder, it's in the same folder as your mod folder.
Shader_cache perhaps? I'm not quite PC master race since I'm using a Mac.
PaulDuPouy

Post by PaulDuPouy »

A redownload of the unchanged mod fixed it, but I'm still losing some colors on other things. From talking to one of the mod authors it's likely a Mac version of the game issue.
Anyone else on here encounter this with a Mac and how did you fix it?
don_apple

Post by don_apple »

Since I'm also playing FS17 on macOS and have done some editing of mods in the past I can definitively say that editing of mods on the macOS version of the game without these kinds of issues if you follow a couple of rules:
  • Use a text editor that is capable of handling XML files properly, the standard 'TextEdit' that comes with macOS is not suitable for this. I can highly recommend TextWrangler for this
  • When checking if the modifications work in the game put the folder of the extracted mod in the mod folder and don't try to zip it up first. This will avoid issues due to incorrectly zipped mods
  • When you have done all your edits and have verified that the mod still works as expected then you can create a ZIP-file out of it again. Please make sure to only put the contents of the folder where the mod was extracted to into the ZIP-file and not the folder itself. You can find instructions on how to create a ZIP-file out of an extracted mod on macOS here: viewtopic.php?f=802&t=49617&hilit=archive.zip#p406986
  • If anything doesn't work as expected after you have edited the mod then always check the log.txt file of the game first to see if there are any errors or warnings: viewtopic.php?f=827&t=88665
Gruß/Regards,
don_apple

Apple iMac 27" (2017), Quad-Core i7 4.2 GHz, 48GB, AMD Radeon R580 8GB
Bitte benutzt das öffentliche Forum für Supportfragen und nicht PN/Please use the public forum for support questions and not PM
FS22 Bugtracker
log.txt Image Server Forenregeln Board rules
PaulDuPouy

Post by PaulDuPouy »

Thank you, I'll get to work on that tonight.

Some mods go white however without ever editing. Any advice on that one?
don_apple

Post by don_apple »

If unmodified mods you've downloaded and installed are white in some parts this usually indicates that the required texture files can't be found. A common reason for this on the macOS version of FS is that the creator of the mod used backslashes ('\') instead of forwardslashes('/') in the path definitions for the textures in the i3d or xml files of the mods, which works on Windows, but not on macOS.

The log.txt should show you where the game thinks textures are missing on a mod and you then have to check the xml and i3d files of the mod with a text editor to see if there are some incorrect path definitions.
Gruß/Regards,
don_apple

Bitte benutzt das öffentliche Forum für Supportfragen und nicht PN/Please use the public forum for support questions and not PM
FS22 Bugtracker
PaulDuPouy

Post by PaulDuPouy »

Thanks, every one of LBJ's mods just show up white.....lol
don_apple

Post by don_apple »

Guess they are not testing their mods on the macOS version of the game. I would therefore recommend to contact them and let them know about this issue so that they can fix it for everybody who uses their mods.

This is one of the advantages of using the official ModHub for publishing mods btw., because there the mods are also checked on macOS before uploading them.
Gruß/Regards,
don_apple

FS22 Bugtracker
PaulDuPouy

Post by PaulDuPouy »

don_apple wrote:Guess they are not testing their mods on the macOS version of the game. I would therefore recommend to contact them and let them know about this issue so that they can fix it for everybody who uses their mods.

This is one of the advantages of using the official ModHub for publishing mods btw., because there the mods are also checked on macOS before uploading them.

Most PC people are less fans of Mac than consoles.... :D
PaulDuPouy

Post by PaulDuPouy »

don_apple wrote:Since I'm also playing FS17 on macOS and have done some editing of mods in the past I can definitively say that editing of mods on the macOS version of the game without these kinds of issues if you follow a couple of rules:
  • Use a text editor that is capable of handling XML files properly, the standard 'TextEdit' that comes with macOS is not suitable for this. I can highly recommend TextWrangler for this
Slight snag with this, I went to download text wrangler and I can't use it since I have MacOS 10.13 High Sierra.....lol
don_apple

Post by don_apple »

Ah, ok, didn't notice since I'm still on 10.12. But it looks like BBEdit from the same company works on 10.13 and offers the same functionality like TextWrangler.
Gruß/Regards,
don_apple

FS22 Bugtracker