FDR Logging charging for mods.

Your forum for all discussions around Modding.
Cameron

FDR Logging charging for mods.

Post by Cameron »

Hey everyone,

I have been going around and heard that a youtuber/fellow modder has been taking his old mods and is not having them behind a Patreon page. I know and a few other have been talking to him about this and he doesn't seem to care. Goes to show that this is against Giant's ToS under section 6. This has been sent to Giants, but I just wondered if anyone else here knew about him.
eric21

Re: FDR Logging charging for mods.

Post by eric21 »

Cameron wrote:Hey everyone,

I have been going around and heard that a youtuber/fellow modder has been taking his old mods and is not having them behind a Patreon page. I know and a few other have been talking to him about this and he doesn't seem to care. Goes to show that this is against Giant's ToS under section 6. This has been sent to Giants, but I just wondered if anyone else here knew about him.
Are the mods his own work?
FarmerMark

Post by FarmerMark »

eric21 It does not matter if the mods are his own work or not. Go read the Giants ToS. Better yet, most people are to lazy to do that so let me post it here.

Giants Terms of Service section 6 deals with user generated content. Section 6.3 is key in this case.

"6.3 Mods created and uploaded by the Customer may only be made available to third parties free-of-charge and not for gain. Commercial use or use in return for payment is not permitted. It is prohibited to sell or otherwise exploit Mods commercially without the consent of GIANTS (including the placement of ads in Mods or within the context of the distribution of Mods), including the sale or distribution of apps which contain Mods, as well as the sale of physical data carriers or downloading of Mods."

Making mods ONLY available to PAYING patreon members is a clear violation of this and I, as well as the Community, should expect Giants Software's legal team to step up and take action against these slimy people. I have emails Giants twice with different people doing this very thing. We will not stand for this.

https://farming-simulator.com/termsAndConditions.php
Platform: PC
https://www.facebook.com/groups/FarmingSimulatorUltimate/
TSM

Post by TSM »

Giants won't do anything same as they won't go after all the click profit sites like modhub.us, they are a very small developer, if you don't agree with what FDR is doing then just move on and ignore it not really worth getting stressed over a game. ;)
Farmer_S

Post by Farmer_S »

Yep, and he's not the only one. There's a few now doing this, which is as you said, against Giants' TOS. A big problem, would be nice to see Giants put an end to this. Another big name that's doing this is lindbejb modding, someone a lot of people may know. Worse yet, he's done this with mods used without permission, and without credits. Yes, it would be nice to see these "slimy people" get served justice.
Procobator

Post by Procobator »

Farmer_S wrote:Yep, and he's not the only one. There's a few now doing this, which is as you said, against Giants' TOS. A big problem, would be nice to see Giants put an end to this. Another big name that's doing this is lindbejb modding, someone a lot of people may know. Worse yet, he's done this with mods used without permission, and without credits. Yes, it would be nice to see these "slimy people" get served justice.
I wouldn't say these guys are "slimy". They are just taking a chance and so far it's paid off to their advantage. I just hope it's not going to be a trend.
Cameron

Post by Cameron »

Tycoonspaceman wrote:Giants won't do anything same as they won't go after all the click profit sites like modhub.us, they are a very small developer, if you don't agree with what FDR is doing then just move on and ignore it not really worth getting stressed over a game. ;)

I'm not stressed over the game, its idiots not following whats clearly outlined in the ToS. And it's also a shame that Giants hasn't/isn't doing quack about it. He's made money off of it.
eric21

Post by eric21 »

Cameron wrote:
Tycoonspaceman wrote:Giants won't do anything same as they won't go after all the click profit sites like modhub.us, they are a very small developer, if you don't agree with what FDR is doing then just move on and ignore it not really worth getting stressed over a game. ;)

I'm not stressed over the game, its idiots not following whats clearly outlined in the ToS. And it's also a shame that Giants hasn't/isn't doing quack about it. He's made money off of it.
Hes guna do it again, its hard to control what people do on the internet
Cameron

Post by Cameron »

Speaking of the devil, just got an email from Giants telling me that they are in-fact now aware of this and are looking into "fixing" the violation. Cheers to everyone that reports things like this. And just so everyone who isn't aware, there's a clear and broad line between charging for things and asking for donations, which this isn't.
redglasses

Post by redglasses »

wait they are stealing mods, then selling them??
Playing Lincoln Creek on PC
Upload your screenshots here: IMG server
My Discord
Remember there is no need to spread your manure around the forums :wink3:
Jack of all trades, master of the skid steer
eric21

Post by eric21 »

redglasses wrote:wait they are stealing mods, then selling them??
No they "create" own mods and then charge people
FordFarmer97

Post by FordFarmer97 »

How the heck does he sell them? Through a website?
Tryin to make a 9700 Ford mod, one of these days
#LimeGreenPower
Playin on PC in Tennessee!
John 3:16: "For God so loved the world he gave his only begotten son, that whovever shall believeth in him shall not perish, but have everlasting life"
Old Iron Best Iron.
PM me for a Discord link.
eric21

Post by eric21 »

FordFarmer97 wrote:How the heck does he sell them? Through a website?
Patreon
Smith Modding

Post by Smith Modding »

FordFarmer97 wrote:How the heck does he sell them? Through a website?
It's been done before. Some do it through a website, others require you to pay a subscription to the site before you can download stuff. This happened toward the end of the FS15 too
Smith Modding Co.
Christian Based Modding
Isaiah 30:23- He will also send you rain for the seed you sow in the ground, and the food that comes from the land will be rich and plentiful. In that day your cattle will graze in broad meadows.:
Playing FS15-19 on PC
Playing too much FS19 :mrgreen:
Specs-
i5-7300HQ|NVIDIA GTX 1050ti|16GB DDR4 RAM|1TB/500GB SSD/256GB M.2|Windows 10
TSM

Post by TSM »

Cameron wrote:Speaking of the devil, just got an email from Giants telling me that they are in-fact now aware of this and are looking into "fixing" the violation. Cheers to everyone that reports things like this. And just so everyone who isn't aware, there's a clear and broad line between charging for things and asking for donations, which this isn't.
I call bull sh@t on that ^^