Best Log Length ? ? ?

Your forum for all discussions around Modding.
HC1Gunner

Best Log Length ? ? ?

Post by HC1Gunner »

I'm not doing the forestry thing for income, but I had bunch of pesky trees at edge of fields in the way, so cut them down. I eye balled cutting them with the chainsaw, roughly around 20' - 25'. I leased a Fliegl Timber Runner with AutoLoadWood, and had a couple auto load, but the rest just laid there, I tried backing up and moving forward, and the opposite side of the trailer, I was only able to get about 25% of them to auto-load (3 trailers full). I ended up putting the rest on the trailer with my front-end loader.
I just bought another field, it had a lot wasted farm-able area, so I leveled the trees, and have another large pile. I'm hoping someone replies, and tells me the secret to having all the logs auto-load. I not sure if the weight/length is the key?
Asus ROG STRIX X670E-A GAMING
AMD Ryzen 9 7900X3D
32GB G.SKILL Trident Z5 Neo AMD EXPO 32GB DDR5 6000 F5-6000J3038F16GX2-TZ5NR
SSD NVMe 1 TB - Samsung 990 PRO
Sapphire NITRO+ RX 7900 XTX Vapor-X
Corsair HX1200 1200 Watt Pwr Sup
NZXT Kraken Z73 360 AIO CPU Cooler
Sennheiser Game One headset / Sennheiser GSX 1000 Gaming Audio Amplifier
LG 32GK850G-B 32" QHD 65Hz Refresh Rate
Win 11 Pro 64bit
hpmc13

Re: Best Log Length ? ? ?

Post by hpmc13 »

I'm pretty sure it's the length with the UAL Timber Runner as I did the same thing. I believe the longest that they can be is just a little longer than the trailer itself, if I recall correctly.
Playing on PC
Hairy Bob

Post by Hairy Bob »

I've managed to accidentally autoload whole tree trunks on both the fliegl semi and the drawbar log trailer, which were quite a bit longer than the trailer. In one case the end of the log was forward of the tractor cab!
I heard that the trick is to completely de-limb the tree, even one tiny bit of foliage, which might be under the ground and not visible, will stop the trailer from picking it up. I always run up and down each log with the chainsaw while crouching, and while it doesn't always work first time, it will usually get it on the second go, unless I've missed a bit.
Farming Kandelin and Pellworm on pc
ThaFarmer

Post by ThaFarmer »

If you have a decent number of trees to chop, why don't you buy the Ponsse ScorpionKing and cut it 8m steady...
You'll always be sure your logs are de-libed and get picked up...

I found a funny trick: When possible, I get the trailer right beside the Ponsse, and cut the logs directly in.
Or: when you need to cut a group of trees, it's possible to group the logs in a pile and it's easily picked up by the grapplers and Auto-load.
Also: In any case, it's a good match with the "sawdust" mod, you'll recover decent money with the woodchips it makes.

With the new "Spruce sapplings pallet" mods, we can now plant Spruces instead of those unworthy default trees, so the new possibility to have Spruces plantations make the forestry machineries bringing more profits!
HC1Gunner

Post by HC1Gunner »

Thanks for the replies,
always de-limb my logs with chain saw. The 8m cut length worked well, I probably could have went longer, but a full rack @ 8m, the load was plenty heavy.
Asus ROG STRIX X670E-A GAMING
AMD Ryzen 9 7900X3D
32GB G.SKILL Trident Z5 Neo AMD EXPO 32GB DDR5 6000 F5-6000J3038F16GX2-TZ5NR
SSD NVMe 1 TB - Samsung 990 PRO
Sapphire NITRO+ RX 7900 XTX Vapor-X
Corsair HX1200 1200 Watt Pwr Sup
NZXT Kraken Z73 360 AIO CPU Cooler
Sennheiser Game One headset / Sennheiser GSX 1000 Gaming Audio Amplifier
LG 32GK850G-B 32" QHD 65Hz Refresh Rate
Win 11 Pro 64bit
redglasses

Post by redglasses »

it would be nice if the scorpion king would only cut the top off the tree and limb them, there by leaving you with a full tree of wood to sell
Playing Lincoln Creek on PC
Upload your screenshots here: IMG server
My Discord
Remember there is no need to spread your manure around the forums :wink3:
Jack of all trades, master of the skid steer
BobcatLogger

Post by BobcatLogger »

I agree with you redglasses or even if they could have added longer cut lengths as an option
redglasses

Post by redglasses »

^^ya 10m would be cool
Playing Lincoln Creek on PC
Upload your screenshots here: IMG server
My Discord
Remember there is no need to spread your manure around the forums :wink3:
Jack of all trades, master of the skid steer
BobcatLogger

Post by BobcatLogger »