Modding Wheel Loaders Steering

Your forum for all discussions around Modding.
MountainFarmer

Modding Wheel Loaders Steering

Post by MountainFarmer »

Hello Everyone!

Fair warning: I am a mouse/keyboard player.

I am doing a lot of logging and eventually ended up obtaining a wheel loader which greatly increased my efficiency as they can pick up 3-4 large logs at once. However the steering drives me mad. In order to place logs neatly on my trailers I need millimeter precision and sometimes I just need to move the grab a little left or right and I could do that by applying steering. However, in FS 17 the steering automatically reverts to neutral/central position if you let go of the respective key. Besides the constant camera wiggling making me naseous, it also makes loading a log trailer neatly infuriatingly hard.

In Spintires for example I have to push a-a-a-a-a-a to go hard left and then d-d-d-d-d-d to obtain a neutral steering again. This would be very helpful, with wheel loaders in particular, all though I wouldn't mind this type of steering for other vehicles.

How hard would it be to mod that into some or all vehicles? How would I go about this? Or does a mod for this already exist? I am using Better Steering mod, and while it's a massive improvement over the vanilla keyboard steering I need actually a Spintires type steering.

Thanks for any advice.
hpmc13

Re: Modding Wheel Loaders Steering

Post by hpmc13 »

Drive Control will do this (and a lot of other useful things.) With the Drive Control mod loaded, press M on your keyboard to switch between regular steering and free steering.

If you don't like all of the other features of Drive Control, there is a config file in the c:\Users\yourname\Documents\My Games\FarmingSimulator2017\ folder called "driceControl_config.xml. Set anything that you don't like to False instead of True and it will go away. FreeSteering is what you're looking for, so leave that one on True.
Playing on PC
don_apple

Post by don_apple »

And here's the link to the original download site for driveControl: https://www.modhoster.de/mods/drivecontrol--2 (the FreeStering module allows to disable the function of the wheel coming back automatically to neutral)

I would also recommend to give the following mod a try, which amongst other things helps to improve the steering behaviour:
KeyboardSteer: https://www.farming-simulator.com/mod.p ... tle=fs2017
Gruß/Regards,
don_apple

Apple iMac 27" (2017), Quad-Core i7 4.2 GHz, 48GB, AMD Radeon R580 8GB
Bitte benutzt das öffentliche Forum für Supportfragen und nicht PN/Please use the public forum for support questions and not PM
FS22 Bugtracker
log.txt Image Server Forenregeln Board rules
MountainFarmer

Post by MountainFarmer »

Thank you hpmc13 and don_apple. I already am using DC but I wasn't aware I could turn of auto-reverse, that's excellent news. I have tried keyboard steer but always ended up deleting it because it made me dizzy. I suppose with free steering that won't be an issue any more, all though come to think about it I'll probably leave it off, as I like to look back and forth with my mouse, i.e. when maneuvering.