What are mipmaps?

Your forum for all discussions around Modding.
Farm Shark

What are mipmaps?

Post by Farm Shark »

I submitted a mod to modhub and giants rejected it because it did not contain a mipmap. I am new to modding and I do not know what a mipmap is nor how to create one. If anyone can help me it would be greatly appreciated.
My mod was a license plate prefab.
masseyharris

Re: What are mipmaps?

Post by masseyharris »

I don't know the technical details, but basically, including mipmaps in your image means that the image is saved with a number of gradually decreasing versions of the same image, so that your object shows up correctly at varying distances.
So when you save a dds image, you must save it with mip maps (in your paint package, when saving the image you should see an option to save 'with mipmaps', usually just a tick box).

So you need to go through your images, open them all and re-save them being sure to tick the mip maps box.
Also, check the guidelines, it's a while since I submitted my map, but your images must be dxt1 or dxt5 I think and NOT dx3 (but check that as I might have got it the wrong way round).
Farm Shark

Post by Farm Shark »

masseyharris wrote: Wed Feb 07, 2018 3:02 pm I don't know the technical details, but basically, including mipmaps in your image means that the image is saved with a number of gradually decreasing versions of the same image, so that your object shows up correctly at varying distances.
So when you save a dds image, you must save it with mip maps (in your paint package, when saving the image you should see an option to save 'with mipmaps', usually just a tick box).

So you need to go through your images, open them all and re-save them being sure to tick the mip maps box.
Also, check the guidelines, it's a while since I submitted my map, but your images must be dxt1 or dxt5 I think and NOT dx3 (but check that as I might have got it the wrong way round).
Ok thanks! I'll check that a little later. Yes, you are also correct with the dxt files because I did save them in dxt3 and giants said that hey needed to be saved in the other way.
Farm Shark

Post by Farm Shark »

Fixed thank you!
mcatalyst

Post by mcatalyst »

I recommend saving all non-transparent files as DXT1 and transparent ones in DXT5 which will fix most issues. Any item that you can see in-game which can be farther away from your camera (player) position needs to have mipmaps. Store.dds is not so that should be DXT1 without mipmaps for example. Just those rules alone should solve most basic texture issues. Giants seems to have an automated process for checking these things so you get a response back with a full list of issues the first time around in a timely manner.
Myrithis - Catalyzer Industries
Farm Shark

Post by Farm Shark »

mcatalyst wrote: Thu Feb 08, 2018 1:19 am I recommend saving all non-transparent files as DXT1 and transparent ones in DXT5 which will fix most issues. Any item that you can see in-game which can be farther away from your camera (player) position needs to have mipmaps. Store.dds is not so that should be DXT1 without mipmaps for example. Just those rules alone should solve most basic texture issues. Giants seems to have an automated process for checking these things so you get a response back with a full list of issues the first time around in a timely manner.
Thank you. I'll remember this for the future.
My mod was a license plate prefab for modders to use on their vehicles. :)