Safety of Downloading Mods?

Your forum for all discussions around Modding.
BigTex114

Safety of Downloading Mods?

Post by BigTex114 »

Newbie here. I've found some great mods I'd like to download. I've thought about downloading several but before I can download it always tells me that I must download adware. For instance on one site I just tried before downloading it says "Please install SimplyWatch to continue. Top video sites require the latest SimplyWatch update."

When I google SimplyWatch all the hits are about removing this "adware" and "virus" from your computer.

I had major hassles with malicious adware on my old computer and I don't want to go anywhere near them now. Advice?
Playing Marwell Manor on Windows :gamer:
Stegei
GIANTS Software | CTO

Re: Safety of Downloading Mods?

Post by Stegei »

Generally, I would recommend to only download mods from the ModHub on farming-simulator.com / the in-game downloader.
If go to other websites, you need to be extra careful not to click on the wrong links. Usually there are several download links, all looking like the real download link. But there's usually one link that really will lead to the download. Never download an exe/msi or something similar. I'm not aware of any respectable download sites that require you to download an executable, so usually you've chosen the wrong "download" link to click or the whole site is just there to scam you.
don_apple

Re: Safety of Downloading Mods?

Post by don_apple »

Have a look at the following thread where you can find some more suggestions for sites from where it is safe to download mods: viewtopic.php?f=895&t=114224

Also I would recommend to install an "ad blocker" (see https://www.google.de/search?q=adblock& ... rBXsXYgJgL for more information)) in your browser to avoid getting to many adds on a site that disguise themselves as download buttons.
Gruß/Regards,
don_apple

Apple iMac 27" (2017), Quad-Core i7 4.2 GHz, 48GB, AMD Radeon R580 8GB
Bitte benutzt das öffentliche Forum für Supportfragen und nicht PN/Please use the public forum for support questions and not PM
FS22 Bugtracker
log.txt Image Server Forenregeln Board rules