a question to all modders

Your forum for all discussions around Modding.
REDSTER-85

a question to all modders

Post by REDSTER-85 »

are there any modders having trouble with mod theft? i ask because its a thing with spintires mudrunner
Playing games because they are fun. Watching movies because they are entertaining.
Long live plug n play.
Dogface

Re: a question to all modders

Post by Dogface »

Yes, I had a mod stolen. It is a problem in every game. It is one of the many reasons for "modder burnout".
cmdrbyron

Post by cmdrbyron »

If you peruse some of the unofficial (but still "safe-ish" mod sites) you will find certain user names upload an exhorbitant number of mods, in many cases uploading a mod with a copy/paste text description that clearly states the original authors desire for the mod to remain on a specific site, or restricts re-distribution.

Many of them claim to be "helping" the modders by "increasing exposure" or some such...

It gets even worse when a thief profits from stolen work through ad-revenue/download profiteering.
REDSTER-85

Post by REDSTER-85 »

thanks for response, something i found that some modder do is watermarking there mods, so if a mod is stolen and reuploaded by someone else, but doesn't do anything outside of that the original modder would know its theres
Playing games because they are fun. Watching movies because they are entertaining.
Long live plug n play.
cmdrbyron

Post by cmdrbyron »

REDSTER-85 wrote: Thu Mar 15, 2018 11:21 am thanks for response, something i found that some modder do is watermarking there mods, so if a mod is stolen and reuploaded by someone else, but doesn't do anything outside of that the original modder would know its theres
Unfortunately, while watermarking may identify the original modder/original upload site, it doesn't deter theft. Case-in-point, go to modland.net and see how many images you can find with a "only permitted to be hosted on modhoster.com" watermark :search:

Another sign to watch for is images that appear to be unnaturally cropped or photoshopped. When there is $$ to be made, people will go to significant lengths!
REDSTER-85

Post by REDSTER-85 »

cmdrbyron wrote: Thu Mar 15, 2018 12:04 pm
REDSTER-85 wrote: Thu Mar 15, 2018 11:21 am thanks for response, something i found that some modder do is watermarking there mods, so if a mod is stolen and reuploaded by someone else, but doesn't do anything outside of that the original modder would know its theres
Unfortunately, while watermarking may identify the original modder/original upload site, it doesn't deter theft. Case-in-point, go to modland.net and see how many images you can find with a "only permitted to be hosted on modhoster.com" watermark :search:

Another sign to watch for is images that appear to be unnaturally cropped or photoshopped. When there is $$ to be made, people will go to significant lengths!
that a bummer, hopefully maybe 1 day someone will figure out how to prevent mod theft, i was thinking of maybe modders reporting thieves, but if a modder reporting 10-20 a day, that would probably get very tiring and no time to make mods, in the end keep up the great work, and ignore the whiners, if they dont want to learn how to mod they dont need it
Long live plug n play.
REDSTER-85

Post by REDSTER-85 »

im on ps4, but even there the mods are great with several great game changers
Long live plug n play.
Procobator

Post by Procobator »

I don't mind people taking my mods and doing what they want with them. I know it's human nature to be possessive about these things but for some reason it doesn't effect me like it does others.
W1der

Post by W1der »

How much money are we taking about?

Maybe I should quit my daytime job and start making mods full time!?
[Win11] Intel Core i9-13900F Tray 5.6GHz / MSI RTX4090 24GB GDDR6 / 2x16GB 5600MHz DDR5